DFCU

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_karl61
_Emeritus

DFCU

Post by _karl61 »

Just curious - does the LDS church own this institution? I went to Deseret News and a big advertizement came up for a car loan.

I thought the Board of Directors and membership requirements were interesting.

https://www.dfcu.com/about
I want to fly!
_Shiloh

Re: DFCU

Post by _Shiloh »

karl61 wrote:Just curious - does the LDS church own this institution? I went to Deseret News and a big advertizement came up for a car loan.

Not sure what you mean by membership requirements but it certainly is interesting that a bunch have worked for the Church.
_Sammy Jankins
_Emeritus

Post by _Sammy Jankins »

Shiloh wrote:Not sure what you mean by membership requirements but it certainly is interesting that a bunch have worked for the Church.

I think you have to be a member to open an account. Link

Deseret First serves members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and employees of the following organizations, along with their families
_Sammy Jankins
_Emeritus

Post by _Sammy Jankins »

Also this isn't relevant at all, but if you go into some of their locations it smells like and looks similar to the older chapel designs.
_The Mighty Builder
_Emeritus

Post by _The Mighty Builder »

karl61 wrote:Just curious - does the LDS church own this institution? I went to Deseret News and a big advertizement came up for a car loan.

NO, the Mormon Corporation doesn't own Deseret Federal Credit Union (DFCU). As per the rules for credit unions, the members (account holders) own the Credit Union. Each member has one share of the Credit Union, regardless of the amount on deposit.

NO, you don't have to be a Mormon to belong to DFCU. As per their web-site Select Employee Group (SEG) people can join. Among those listed is Intermountain Health Care, who has non-Mormon employees. They also allow relatives of DFCU members to join, who may also be non-Mormon. So DFCU has a restricted membership clause that though heavily Mormonized doesn't completely exclude real humans.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Aristotle Smith
_Emeritus

Post by _Aristotle Smith »

The Mighty Builder wrote:NO, the Mormon Corporation doesn't own Deseret Federal Credit Union (DFCU). As per the rules for credit unions, the members (account holders) own the Credit Union. Each member has one share of the Credit Union, regardless of the amount on deposit.

NO, you don't have to be a Mormon to belong to DFCU. As per their web-site Select Employee Group (SEG) people can join. Among those listed is Intermountain Health Care, who have non-Mormon employees. They also allow relatives of DFCU members to join, who may also be non-Mormon. So DFCU has a restricted membership clause that though heavily Mormonized doesn't completely exclude real humans.

What TMB says is correct. Credit Unions always end up with segregated membership because membership is generally defined by geography or work location or both. Guess who the members are at the Orange County Teachers Credit Union? If you guess teachers who work or have worked in Orange County, CA, congratulations on your grasp of the obvious.
_beanboots
_Emeritus

Post by _beanboots »

agree with the aforesaid.

additionally, the original name of deseret first was "LDS Church Employees Credit Union."
I make an end of my writing upon these plates, which writing has been small; and to the reader I bid farewell, hoping that many of my brethren may read my words. Brethren, adieu.

“I believe if I had a house in hell and one in St. George I'd rent out the one in St. George and live in hell.”
-J. Golden Kimball
_Shiloh

Post by _Shiloh »

Aristotle Smith wrote:
What TMB says is correct. Credit Unions always end up with segregated membership because membership is generally defined by geography or work location or both. Guess who the members are at the Orange County Teachers Credit Union? If you guess teachers who work or have worked in Orange County, CA, congratulations on your grasp of the obvious.

Makes sense. Anyone around my neck of the woods can join [Large and well-known company] employees credit union. Simply a matter of geography.