Alex Beam interview

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Joe Geisner
_Emeritus

Alex Beam interview

Post by _Joe Geisner »

Many people have said they prefer the written word, so here is the perfect interview with Alex: :smile:

http://ourmaninboston.wordpress.com/
_Joe Geisner
_Emeritus

Re: Alex Beam interview

Post by _Joe Geisner »

It appears he has also done an interview with Clay Painter. This should be fun as well.

http://mormonexpositor.com/76-alex-beam ... ucifixion/
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Thanks Joe.

From the Alex Beam interview when the interviewer asked him if Mormonism was a cult.

Alex Beam wrote:I have to say in all honesty when I read the first 120 pages of Lawrence Wright’s book on Scientology {Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief), which is essentially L Ron Hubbard’s biography; I just thought I was reading about Joseph Smith. There were so many similarities. Larry’s book is not fresh in my mind now but it was almost a one to one correspondence. I am dodging your question. I am aware it is valid but I don’t have an answer.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

More from the interview.

Alex Beam wrote: I went to the Mormon Historical Association annual meeting which, for me, was a huge treat. A really friendly Mormon guy— he was such a friend to me throughout the writing of this book, I sent him the book and he said come on down and give a presentation. I gave a presentation and it was very well received. Having said that, the church has an official history department where they create the official history. In my talk I likened their history library to the Lenin Library, which wasn’t all that well received. It was funny — I talked to these people—they knew who I was, let’s put it that way. And this one guy, he wrote the definitive apologist account of the Mount Meadows Massacre—he’s a guy I was trying desperately to reach for three years. He wouldn’t talk to me.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Fence Sitter wrote:More from the interview.

Alex Beam wrote: I went to the Mormon Historical Association annual meeting which, for me, was a huge treat. A really friendly Mormon guy— he was such a friend to me throughout the writing of this book, I sent him the book and he said come on down and give a presentation. I gave a presentation and it was very well received. Having said that, the church has an official history department where they create the official history. In my talk I likened their history library to the Lenin Library, which wasn’t all that well received. It was funny — I talked to these people—they knew who I was, let’s put it that way. And this one guy, he wrote the definitive apologist account of the Mount Meadows Massacre—he’s a guy I was trying desperately to reach for three years. He wouldn’t talk to me.

a.k.a. Richard Turley
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

I definitely need to read this Alex Beam book all the kids are talking about.
_Aristotle Smith
_Emeritus

Post by _Aristotle Smith »

CaliforniaKid wrote:I definitely need to read this Alex Beam book all the kids are talking about.

Alex Beam, like Grant Palmer before him, commits the cardinal sin of Mormon Historiography: he made a book an average reader can get through. That's why people are talking about the book, for the simple fact that more people can get through it.