MTC President Sexually Assaulted Sister Missionaries

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: MTC President Sexually Assaulted Sister Missionaries

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

SuperDell wrote:I know we don't blame victims.

But - why did none of them bit his penis off? Grab his testicles and twist and scream for help? Take a pen or pencil and drive it into his throat, eyes or scrotum to stop him?

You don't fight off a rapist? Not even try?

None of them went to the Police?

What is wrong with these women?

As for him, castration and a rope would be too easy on the rapist.

The four basic reactions to assault are:

Fight - Biting testicles, I guess.
Flight - GTFO.
Fawn - Act coquettish to stave off an advance
Freeze - You shut down because you're in wtf mode.

That Mission President specifically targeted those girls because they had been victims of sexual assault. When they were trying to cope with that reality in the MTC he took advantage of them and abused them because they were vulnerable to it already. He knew exactly what he was doing.

He, of course, claims a sex addiction because he just won't cop to being a criminal.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I read the transcript yesterday, and my initial reaction was similar to Consig’s. I’ve reviewed hundreds of transcripts of recorded statements in my career, and it’s very easy to overinterpret what’s in the transcript — especially when the person conducting the interview doesn’t have good interviewing skills. In this case, the interviewer didn’t ask enough open ended questions, didn’t follow up on things that weren’t clear, and led him too much. As a result, we have a portrait of a guy who clearly feels guilty about things he has done in the past related to sex, but it’s not clear at all what he’s actually done (or what he thinks he’s done.

Also, something seems off with the guy. I’d like to know something about his mental condition before drawing any firm conclusions.

I’ll be curious to see what, if anything, the Trib does with this.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I just finished listening to the recording. Bishop sounds like he was making a confession. It may not have been a complete confession as he apologized but denied remembering the details of the assault. Why was he apologizing so profusely? Is it because of Mormon guilt for masturbation, etc. or something more? Certainly he abused his authority and should have been relieved of duty and not called to other positions. This is the least of what should have happened. The church definitely dropped the ball on this one and should pay the price for yet again another cover-up. However, weighing the evidence at this point, I think he assaulted that woman. She came across as believable and Bishop's memory lapse was questionable. He didn't deny that he had a lair. He also didn't deny that he took this woman to the lair. At one point Bishop said he remembered differently the details of what went on when he had the woman in the lair but again did not deny taking her there. Also, it is clear that he did something and remembered it as he continually apologized to the woman. What was that? I don't think his apologies were merely a result of Mormon guilt for lusting or masturbation. It was something more that happened and his apology seems to be about something that happened that I think he clearly remembers but didn't come out and say. Also, he never actually denied what the woman said happened. Maybe he didn't deny because he felt threatened but I don't think so. If he didn't do what she claimed, then my guess is that Bishop would have denied and not apologized for anything. He also confessed to misdeeds with others but didn't elaborate. I wonder what else he did?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Craig Paxton wrote:The "BIG" story here is not Bishop and what he did or did not do....like Watergate, its the cover up by the LDS church. They were made aware of the rape charge years ago and did nothing. They continued to elevate this man who they knew had been accused of rape and did nothing.

Had this charge been made against your average ward member something would have happened. An interview by priesthood leaders to assess the charge and if found credible a church court would have taken place...but with Bishop...nothing, nadda, zippo. They just allowed this predator to continue on his merry way without any church action, thus allowing him to ply is sexual deviance on other innocent women.

The church needs to be held accountable for their cover up.
This is what bothers me the most..I hate this church..it is a joke.
_Fifth Columnist
_Emeritus

Post by _Fifth Columnist »

I have the same reaction as Consig and Res Ipsa. Something seems off about this whole thing. I can't help but get the vibe that this guy is off mentally, like he's somewhat senile, which would undercut much of what he said.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Beyond the accusations, there are some other very disturbing things in there. This one still has me upset.

Former MTC Pres wrote:[Redacted] tried to commit suicide there at the MTC. I had asked Elder Asay on several occasions, well several l, maybe twice, I needed a budget increase for a counselor for these women. And he had heard Elder Packer give a speech to Bishop's I think, or maybe it was the conference address, but he said don't, Elder Asey's interpretation of this is don't go to counselors, professional counselors, when you have a Bishop. Go to the Bishop.

A young girl attempted suicide there at the MTC(!)

The response to a request for some form of professional counselor as a resource for young girls who needed counseling (so much so, that one had attempted suicide) was not only denied, but it was also seemingly insisted that a Bishop was the preferred resource.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Fifth Columnist
_Emeritus

Post by _Fifth Columnist »

The church posted a response, quoted in full below: https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/ ... march-2018

In response to questions from multiple media outlets about allegations that a former Church mission president committed sexual assault, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released the following statement Tuesday, March 20, 2018.

These allegations are very serious and deeply disturbing. If the allegations of sexual assault are true, it would be a tragic betrayal of our standards and would result in action by the Church to formally discipline any member who was guilty of such behavior, especially someone in a position of trust.

This matter was brought to the attention of the Church in 2010, when this former Church member, who served briefly as a missionary in 1984, told leaders of the Pleasant Grove Utah West Stake that she had been sexually assaulted by the president of the Provo Missionary Training Center, Joseph Bishop, 25 years earlier. They listened carefully to the claims being made and then this was immediately reported to the Pleasant Grove Police Department, and the police interviewed her at that time. The Church does not know what she said in that interview, but the Church received no further communication from the police concerning the matter.

At the same time, the Church referred these allegations to the local ecclesiastical leaders of Joseph Bishop. Those leaders met with Mr. Bishop, who denied the allegations. Unable to verify the allegations, they did not impose any formal Church discipline on Mr. Bishop at that time.

The matter resurfaced in 2016 when the same individual contacted a stake president in Pueblo, Colorado, and then again a few weeks ago in January 2018, when the Church was contacted by a lawyer representing her. He provided a copy of a recording that she had made of a conversation between her and 85-year-old Joseph Bishop in December 2017. Since that time, the Church has engaged in an investigation of this individual’s allegations. In the course of that investigation, both she and Mr. Bishop have been interviewed by outside legal counsel. Not surprisingly, the stories, timelines and recollections of those involved are dramatically different. This woman reaffirmed her allegations, and Mr. Bishop has again denied them. We have no record of an interview between Elder Carlos E. Asay (1926-1999) and this individual.

The Church, as a religious organization, does not have the investigative tools available to law enforcement agencies. Nor can the Church substitute for the courts in adjudicating legal claims. The Church has great faith in the judicial system to determine the truth of these claims. Nevertheless, the Church takes seriously its responsibility to hold its members accountable for their conduct with respect of the laws of God and man. To that end, the Church is continuing its investigation of this individual's claims and will act consistent with its long-standing policy of no tolerance for abuse.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

It looks like this woman needs a me-too campaign to push this along.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

LDS Newsroom wrote:If the allegations of sexual assault are true, it would be a tragic betrayal of our standards

No, it would be another example of how discernment in Mormonism is wholly lacking. The so-called inspiration of the Holy Ghost is a sham.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

LDS Newsroom wrote:and would result in action by the Church to formally discipline any member who was guilty of such behavior, especially someone in a position of trust

Well then, get ready to discipline this man because his taped confessions practically prophesy that this is exactly what would happen if the church found him out.

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, excommunicate!