"Research is Not the Answer"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: "Research is Not the Answer"

Post by _Dr. Shades »

kjones wrote:(And yes, atheism is a religion too.)

If you believe that atheism is a religion too, then you believe that infertility is parenthood, too.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_JLHPROF
_Emeritus

Post by _JLHPROF »

kjones wrote:And my favorite TV series of all time is "Black Adder", a clever satire on British history starring Rowan Atkinson.

Have you ever read Graham Greene's "The Power and the Glory", about a Mexican state in the 1930s that banned religion? The main character in the story is a Catholic priest who continues his work although he is threatened with death at every turn. The story is based on actual historical events in Mexico.

Blackadder and Graham Greene...a man of very good taste here.
Thy mind, O man! if thou wilt lead a soul unto salvation, must stretch as high as the utmost heavens, and search into and contemplate the darkest abyss, and the broad expanse of eternity—thou must commune with God. - Joseph Smith
_JLHPROF
_Emeritus

Post by _JLHPROF »

Dr. Shades wrote:
kjones wrote:(And yes, atheism is a religion too.)

If you believe that atheism is a religion too, then you believe that infertility is parenthood, too.

Is atheism an inability to believe in God then? A lack of something within that other's have naturally.
Thy mind, O man! if thou wilt lead a soul unto salvation, must stretch as high as the utmost heavens, and search into and contemplate the darkest abyss, and the broad expanse of eternity—thou must commune with God. - Joseph Smith
_kjones
_Emeritus

Post by _kjones »

JLHPROF wrote:Is atheism an inability to believe in God then? A lack of something within that other's have naturally.

I don't know. I confess it is not something I have thought much about. I have never read Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, or any of those guys.

However ... I do believe that atheism has its own set of conventions, absurdities and improbabilities, just the same as any religion. You have to accept a lot on faith.

In the end, it is a choice. Just like belief in God, belief in atheism is about choice. One is making a choice.

On another note, or a similar note ... I came across a very interesting article in the New Yorker a while back . . .

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015 ... ck-bostrom

. . . and I was struck by how similar the language of atheism is to the language of a religion—at least in some instances. Atheists sometimes speak in ways that are very similar to the ways in which religionists speak. I first noticed this about ten years ago when I was reading about Edward Wilson, the biologist, and I see it again in this New Yorker article, a profile of Nick Bostrom.

P.S. - I'm going to bow out now. It's been fun. Thanks.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

JLHPROF wrote:Is atheism an inability to believe in God then? A lack of something within that other's have naturally.

Is atheism an ability to see belief in God for what it really is then? Something within that others don’t have naturally?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

kjones wrote:However ... I do believe that atheism has its own set of conventions, absurdities and improbabilities, just the same as any religion. You have to accept a lot on faith.

It’s no wonder you’re bowing out....
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

kjones wrote:Atheists sometimes speak in ways that are very similar to the ways in which religionists speak. I first noticed this about ten years ago when I was reading about Edward Wilson, the biologist, and I see it again in this New Yorker article, a profile of Nick Bostrom.

From this comment, I get the impression that the only time you've read E.O. Wilson was when you googled the word "atheism" to harvest some names to drop.
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

kjones wrote:

I don't know. I confess it is not something I have thought much about. I have never read Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, or any of those guys.

However ... I do believe that atheism has its own set of conventions, absurdities and improbabilities, just the same as any religion. You have to accept a lot on faith.

In the end, it is a choice. Just like belief in God, belief in atheism is about choice. One is making a choice.

On another note, or a similar note ... I came across a very interesting article in the New Yorker a while back . . .

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015 ... ck-bostrom

. . . and I was struck by how similar the language of atheism is to the language of a religion—at least in some instances. Atheists sometimes speak in ways that are very similar to the ways in which religionists speak. I first noticed this about ten years ago when I was reading about Edward Wilson, the biologist, and I see it again in this New Yorker article, a profile of Nick Bostrom.

deleted for excessive snark
Last edited by Guest on Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

kjones wrote: I confess it is not something I have thought much about. I have never read Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, or any of those guys.

-Snip more ignorant babble-

Try thinking and actually reading instead of projecting your theist biases for a change. :lol: Never mind, you're just another drive by douche. :mrgreen:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

kjones,

When I read Robert Lifton's study of Chinese thought reform programs, I was struck by one small thing. When people were arrested they would defend themselves by saying something like, "there must be some mistake." A common response by the prison official would then be, "the government doesn't make mistakes."

Clearly, even though the communists were "atheists," faith was a problem with them. You can't classify that kind of faith in government as rational thinking. Faith and theism can be and should be treated separately. They are two different things.

Faith is what is unjustifiable, whether applied to theism or atheism. I've yet to come across a good argument for it, and you and Elder Oaks are failing yet again to provide one.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/