Possible Modern Source for the Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Re: Possible Modern Source for the Book of Mormon

Post by _Water Dog »

honorentheos wrote:It seemed to me the initial enthusiasm for it being evidence of plagiarism was blunted by time. in my opinion, that was due to the initial reaction misinterpreting what the Late War revealed about the period when the Book of Mormon was being authored in the 19th century. If one took the view that Smith had a copy of The Late War and was quoting from it or using it as a template for the narrative for the Book of Mormon since he and/or Cowdery probably read it at some point possibly as school children, the apologetic response only required showing there is sufficient diversity and divergence of narrative to satisfy a given, questioning reader this wasn't the case. And that appears to be what happened with that line of argument. Apologists made use of Bayes to attempt to settle that point such similarities were not evidence of direct copying.

OTOH, if one saw The Late War as demonstrating what a 19th century attempt at replicating the language of the King James Bible would look like, resulting in many of the grammatic structures and phrasing often claimed by apologetics for the Book of Mormon as evidence of genuine Hebrew authorship, then that was conclusively demonstrated with the initial study and to my knowledge remains unchallenged.

Despite the overreaction to what it could ultimately prove and subsequent cooling off, I believe it deserves far more mentions than it gets these 6 years on for essentially pruning away entire branches of Book of Mormon apologetics even if it didn't prove Smith was copying the Book of Mormon from a 19th century source.

I remember this thread quite well, one of the first when I arrived here. And I am cringing at some of my comments. That's how we learn, though. Or at least it's part of how I learn, by getting taken to the woodshed.

I think TLW is the skeptics version of NHM in some respects. Apologists didn't use Bayes to refute TLW so much as they merely pointed out that the Johnson's didn't know what they were doing. No offense to them, but they did a very amateur job. They had the right idea in attempting to develop a model to demonstrate significance, but just didn't know what they didn't know. As I recall, the Johnson's also weren't so keen on collaborating and sharing data. I believe there were some experts who wanted to work with them to get a proper paper published in a respectable venue, but they weren't playing nice. As seems to happen with a lot of these things (See Dehlin, Kelly, Runnels, McKnight, et al), people get very protective of their little pet project.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

The hard lifting remains to be done, but the evidence is very clear. The Book of Mormon slots into its historical context perfectly. Nothing about the text is altogether unprecedented. It may be unique in its combination of traits, but those traits can be found in other places.

I'm going to steal this line (with plagiaristic proper credit.... :lol: ) for my current reviewing of a particular part of Harrells book "This is My Doctrine" if that is OK with you....
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Hi Water Dog,

You're probably right, and I have no idea regarding any reaching out to the Johnson's in an attempt to develop a suitably publishable paper but it sounds consistent with what was taking place at the time.

I think much of the original argument one observed when it first came out hinged on TLW being in the possession of Smith or not, or it being a direct influence on the wording of the Book of Mormon. Plagiarism was probably not the best description but the idea it was directly influencing the authorship of the Book of Mormon was essentially the smoking gun that has more or less gone away over the last 6 years. Ultimately though, whatever their failings were, the Johnson's do seem to have brought to light a fairly compelling example of a contemporary to the Book of Mormon produced by a non-inspired attempt to replicate the language and "heft" of the KJV of the Bible that resulted in far too many similar phrases and so-called Hebraisms such that anyone attempting to claim the same so-called Hebraisms in the Book of Mormon were evidence of ancient authorship had to crawl over, under and through TLW. Now we have E mod E and even more outlandish attempts to place the language in a unique, inexplicable context that proves it wasn't the product of Smith's time. Yet, TLW.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

It is true that the Johnsons brought attention to this possibility, but the fixation on problems or merits of their methodology is a red herring. The similarity between the two texts is sufficient to establish a relationship between them that is worthy of closer study. In other words, “Thanks, Johnsons; now we will move forward on our own.” To call this the skeptics’ NHM is misleading.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

honorentheos wrote:Ultimately though, whatever their failings were, the Johnson's do seem to have brought to light a fairly compelling example of a contemporary to the Book of Mormon produced by a non-inspired attempt to replicate the language and "heft" of the KJV of the Bible that resulted in far too many similar phrases and so-called Hebraisms such that anyone attempting to claim the same so-called Hebraisms in the Book of Mormon were evidence of ancient authorship had to crawl over, under and through TLW.

Hi honor,

Are there examples of complex chiasms in TLW? Were they pointed out by the Johnsons and would you be willing to paste a few of those here?

Regards,
MG
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

mentalgymnast wrote:Hi honor,

Are there examples of complex chiasms in TLW? Were they pointed out by the Johnsons and would you be willing to paste a few of those here?

Regards,
MG

Yes. Just click on “Chiasmus” located under the Table of Contents:

http://wordtree.org/thelatewar/
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

The similarity between the torpedoes and the Liahona still intrigues me.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

There is even chiasmus in the Late War. Wow. Good link Everybody Wangchung! Of course, this demonstrates the Late War is ancient, just like the Book of Mormon.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Philo Sofee wrote:There is even chiasmus in the Late War. Wow. Good link Everybody Wangchung! Of course, this demonstrates the Late War is ancient, just like the Book of Mormon.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It must have been written by the Three Nephites.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
mentalgymnast wrote:Hi honor,

Regards,
MG

Yes. Just click on “Chiasmus” located under the Table of Contents:

http://wordtree.org/thelatewar/

There are as complex examples in the D&C penned by Smith as well. Anyone claiming chiasmus has anything to say about how ancient a source might be can hickory dickory dock their way up the apologetic clock and jump off.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa