On Sandra Tanner and "Enemies of Mormonism"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: On Sandra Tanner and "Enemies of Mormonism"

Post by _Kishkumen »

Maksutov wrote:I'm an enemy of Mormon authoritarianism.

:cool:
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mormonicious wrote:The sad narration about Mormonism is that it follows the tantrums of Mr. Trump.

For such powerful entities, they both resort to play-ground name calling when dealing with opposing opinions and views. Instead of acknowledging that a different view is not necessarily completely wrong, they attack the presenter and villainize them.

Hey, Mormonicious. I see what you are saying. However, I am trying to keep the broader category of Mormonism separate from the LDS Church and Joseph Smith as an individual.

Yes, however, the overlying trait of unmitigated disdain and hatred that both the Mormon Corporation, its adherents and Trump and his Trumplets OVERWHELMINGLY counters the "love and understanding" preached as the ideals of their organizations upon which they proclaim to be founded on.

The examples of course being a so called Jesus based organization that hordes money yet shouts the teaching of Biblical Jesus from their pulpits except for "Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me." and I'm a BILLIONAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEE, but I won't release my Taxes to prove it.

So as stated in song, "Hater are going to Hate."
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

grindael wrote:Sandra is my friend and I finally got to meet her in person last summer. I think that using the word enemy is not a big deal. Sandra is religious and believes in good and evil and uses the terminology of the Bible as descriptors. Just like Satan is the enemy of Christ, Mormonism is the enemy of Christianity because it is viewed by Christians as a false gospel. (Kind of the way Joseph described Christianity in relation to his own restored gospel). Therefore, she would be an enemy of any false gospel. And yes, I'm well aware of the fact that Mormons define themselves as Christians. But who could ever fault Kish here? Geeze, he could not be more inoffensive.

You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. (James 4)

If you are a Mormon apostate, then they have justification to think of you as an enemy. :evil:
I attended Sunstone in 2002 and went to their bookstore. I had a good conversation with Sandra. While I was there, two LDS obnoxiously verbally attacked both of the Tanners. They reinforced my negative stereotype. On the other hand, I one spent about 90 minutes with Bruce Metzger. He was pleased that a son of his had an LDS roommate because of their generally positive lifestyle,
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I attended Sunstone in 2002 and went to their bookstore. I had a good conversation with Sandra. While I was there, two LDS obnoxiously verbally attacked both of the Tanners. They reinforced my negative stereotype. On the other hand, I one spent about 90 minutes with Bruce Metzger. He was pleased that a son of his had an LDS roommate because of their generally positive lifestyle,

That is the root of Mopologetics right there. Someone opposes your religion and you treat them very poorly. It is a very human impulse that leads down a very dark path. We should remain polite in disagreement.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

Kishkumen wrote:

That is the root of Mopologetics right there. Someone opposes your religion and you treat them very poorly. It is a very human impulse that leads down a very dark path. We should remain polite in disagreement.
Agreed. It’s all too tempting to imitate people who engage in ad hominem attacks. I once had an unpleasant exchange in print with a prominent figure in GPS history (the first head of the GPS Joint Program Office). I have had to constantly remind myself that there’s no need to attack the person when the facts are on my side. But it’s amazing to see reporters accept without question his assertions which are refuted by his own documents from the 1970s.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

richardMdBorn wrote:Agreed. It’s all too tempting to imitate people who engage in ad hominem attacks. I once had an unpleasant exchange in print with a prominent figure in GPS history (the first head of the GPS Joint Program Office). I have had to constantly remind myself that there’s no need to attack the person when the facts are on my side. But it’s amazing to see reporters accept without question his assertions which are refuted by his own documents from the 1970s.

It is a very human thing to do. The tough thing to do is to remember to treat others decently, and then to hold to that course even when it gets tough. I fail all too often.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

When you leave Mormonism and later have a member engage you in conversation they invariably ask you why you left. You mention the usual things and become aware of our ignorant many LDS folks are of the issues. In a conversation with a long time LDS friend I mentioned Simon Southerton. Immediately his response was "Did you know he committed adultery?"
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"