Steve Smoot's FAIR Talk Takes Aim at the Mopologists' Homophobia

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: Steve Smoot's FAIR Talk Takes Aim at the Mopologists' Homophobia

Post by drumdude »

Well there it is, buried in the comments. I guess he likes the "Gospel Topics Essay" style of communication.

Anyway, good for DCP and even better for Smoot.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Now I might be over-reading this moonshot aim of Smoot's paper. Admittedly, the quote below seems to throw some cold water on my reading, but it may be just a necessary disclaimer to appease current LDS leaders. However, in spite of this disclaimer, I think the paper taken as a whole does a clever job at identifying a possible space in between scriptural precedent and modern teachings.
I agree, Dr. Moore, and this was my take on it as well: you can see Smoot's true intentions, but, of course, he's tossing in the de rigueur mention of the "Proclamation" in order to stave off a SCMC investigation. The fact that DCP mentioned this on "SeN"--and Midgley! and Kiwi!--demonstrates just how nervous all of this makes them.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:04 am
Dan Peterson wrote:I’m apparently seething with rage about Stephen Smoot’s Thursday afternoon FAIR Conference talk, “Abraham and the Stranger at Sodom and Gomorrah,” which I’ve already briefly mentioned here because I’ve read about it online.

I told Br’er Smoot of my volcanic fury during the Interpreter Foundation birthday party on Saturday night. We enjoyed a hearty laugh about it. (Of course, I temporarily managed to conceal my indignation; I doubt that he noticed my explosive displeasure at all, really.)

If I were angry and infuriated even half as often as my obsessive and bizarre Malevolent Stalker likes to claim that I am, the energy generated by my boiling wrath could probably power a medium-sized city. (People who actually know me will also know how seriously to take sensational claims of my perpetually
churning outrage.)

Grrrrrr!
I love how Peterson conveniently ignores the actual issue and just mischaracterizes the discussion about him.

Peterson could have easily engaged in the argument against Biblical homophobia by simply saying he agreed with Smoot, but his silence on it speaks volumes.
Yeah, funny! Did he tell Smoot that he supports his right to marry another man?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:04 am
Dan Peterson wrote:I’m apparently seething with rage about Stephen Smoot’s Thursday afternoon FAIR Conference talk, “Abraham and the Stranger at Sodom and Gomorrah,” which I’ve already briefly mentioned here because I’ve read about it online.

I told Br’er Smoot of my volcanic fury during the Interpreter Foundation birthday party on Saturday night. We enjoyed a hearty laugh about it. (Of course, I temporarily managed to conceal my indignation; I doubt that he noticed my explosive displeasure at all, really.)

If I were angry and infuriated even half as often as my obsessive and bizarre Malevolent Stalker likes to claim that I am, the energy generated by my boiling wrath could probably power a medium-sized city. (People who actually know me will also know how seriously to take sensational claims of my perpetually
churning outrage.)

Grrrrrr!
I love how Peterson conveniently ignores the actual issue and just mischaracterizes the discussion about him.

Peterson could have easily engaged in the argument against Biblical homophobia by simply saying he agreed with Smoot, but his silence on it speaks volumes.
He does this every time when he IS cornered and cannot just come out with honesty. It is his very predictable and entirely boring way to handle it. He will make a magnificent General Authority speaker at General Conference where they each bore the total hell out of all within the reach of their voice (except the brainwashed chapel Mormons) saying the same thing using the same strategies and all intoned in the same droning drizzle of dryness.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Dr Moore wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:26 pm
I have to say, Smoot's presentation of this argument is quite brilliant.
I predict Smoot leaves the church within 5 years.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:21 pm
I predict Smoot leaves the church within 5 years.
BYU and the Church have a great capacity for musket fire. I imagine there is a limit as to how much musket fire Steve Smoot is willing to receive.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace