Mormon Universalism - are the temple ceremonies really necessary?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: Mormon Universalism - are the temple ceremonies really necessary?

Post by MG 2.0 »

malkie wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:24 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:47 pm
Your desperate need to pull people away from living the gospel of Jesus Christ is unfortunate, in my opinion. Latter Day Saints are trying every day to improve and become more like the Savior.

Why would you fault them for that or want to destroy their faith in God, or convince them that they are in the wrong way? Aren’t there more serviceable things you could be doing?

Regards,
MG
How ironic!

The desperate need of the Mormon church to pull people away from living the gospel of Jesus Christ in their family's usual way is unfortunate, in my opinion. Most of these people are likely trying every day to improve and become more like the Savior.
drumdude used the word ‘desperate’. I was simply going along with his self awareness/description of his motivations for pulling people out of the LDS church. On the other hand, I would disagree that members of the LDS church are in any way “desperate” in whatever motivations they have to bring people out of their own faith and into the church.

I don’t disagree with you, however, in the belief that many good Christians are trying to become more like the Savior.
malkie wrote:
Why would you fault them for that or want to destroy their faith in God, or convince them that they are in the wrong way?
Again, drumdude expressed that he and others are “desperate” to help LDS folks see the error of their ways. You seem to be saying that this same motivating factor influences missionary work in the LDS church.

Urgency, yes. A feeling of desperation, no.
malkie wrote:
Aren’t there more serviceable things Mormon missionaries could be doing?
Not if they’re going to follow the injunction of the Savior to “Go ye into all the world” and teach/baptize willing converts into the Lord’s church.

Regards,
MG
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I think it is an urgent matter to leave the LDS church behind. It's heartbreaking to hear the stories of people in the 40's, 50's, even 60's and beyond who finally realize Mormonism was all a collection of lies Joseph Smith started. The amount of money they have given alone is staggering. But it's the time and the legacy that matters most. Many of them have children raised and still inside the church.

The simple truth is that if Mormonism disappeared tomorrow, we would still have 100+ better ways to follow Christ. Nothing of value would be lost.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:26 am
malkie wrote:

How ironic!

The desperate need of the Mormon church to pull people away from living the gospel of Jesus Christ in their family's usual way is unfortunate, in my opinion. Most of these people are likely trying every day to improve and become more like the Savior.
drumdude used the word ‘desperate’. I was simply going along with his self awareness/description of his motivations for pulling people out of the LDS church. On the other hand, I would disagree that members of the LDS church are in any way “desperate” in whatever motivations they have to bring people out of their own faith and into the church.

I don’t disagree with you, however, in the belief that many good Christians are trying to become more like the Savior.
malkie wrote:
Why would you fault them for that or want to destroy their faith in God, or convince them that they are in the wrong way?
Again, drumdude expressed that he and others are “desperate” to help LDS folks see the error of their ways. You seem to be saying that this same motivating factor influences missionary work in the LDS church.

malkie wrote:
Aren’t there more serviceable things Mormon missionaries could be doing?
Not if they’re going to follow the injunction of the Savior to “Go ye into all the world” and teach/baptize willing converts into the Lord’s church.

Regards,
MG
drumdude, of course, can speak for himself, but it would not surprise me if he were taking to heart the scripture (ha!) that tells those who have been warned that they should warn their neighbour.

Do other Christian denominations in the west send out tens of thousands of missionaries to "convert" people who are already happy in their faith - mostly a Christian faith? Who are likely satisfied that they are already in the Lord's church?

How can you complain when those who disagree with your religion want to help people find their way out of it? When they feel highly motivated to do so?
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

malkie wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:20 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:26 am

Regards,
MG
drumdude, of course, can speak for himself, but it would not surprise me if he were taking to heart the scripture (ha!) that tells those who have been warned that they should warn their neighbour.

Do other Christian denominations in the west send out tens of thousands of missionaries to "convert" people who are already happy in their faith - mostly a Christian faith? Who are likely satisfied that they are already in the Lord's church?

How can you complain when those who disagree with your religion want to help people find their way out of it? When they feel highly motivated to do so?
I wasn’t complaining. I said:

Your desperate need to pull people away from living the gospel of Jesus Christ is unfortunate, in my opinion. Latter Day Saints are trying every day to improve and become more like the Savior.

Why would you fault them for that or want to destroy their faith in God, or convince them that they are in the wrong way? Aren’t there more serviceable things you could be doing?
I suppose I could cut drumdude some slack on his usage of the word ‘desperately’. It is a pretty intense word. He sounded a bit over the top evangelistic. But some folks are that way, I get that.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:18 am
I think it is an urgent matter to leave the LDS church behind. It's heartbreaking to hear the stories of people in the 40's, 50's, even 60's and beyond who finally realize Mormonism was all a collection of lies Joseph Smith started. The amount of money they have given alone is staggering. But it's the time and the legacy that matters most. Many of them have children raised and still inside the church.

The simple truth is that if Mormonism disappeared tomorrow, we would still have 100+ better ways to follow Christ. Nothing of value would be lost.
You’re in an internet bubble. In the real world, on the ground, the wards and stakes are carrying on. Yes, there are those that leave. But there are many who are on the covenant path.

Our ward is healthy and vibrant. Are we the exception?

You hang out in a very sheltered environment that isn’t indicative of actual reality. Your “urgent matter” has little or no meaning and/or application on the ground, so to speak. You are spitting into the wind.

Don’t take that as a personal insult, it’s just the way it is. And if you have what you believe to be a “better way” to follow Christ, by all means, go for it. Joseph Smith would be right there encouraging you to move forward in your beliefs, whatever they might be.

Regards,
MG
Mixman76
Nursery

Post by Mixman76 »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:10 am
drumdude wrote:

You’re in an internet bubble. In the real world, on the ground, the wards and stakes are carrying on. Yes, there are those that leave. But there are many who are on the covenant path.

You hang out in a very sheltered environment that isn’t indicative of actual reality. Your “urgent matter” has little or no meaning and/or application on the ground, so to speak. You are spitting into the wind.

Don’t take that as a personal insult, it’s just the way it is. And if you have what you believe to be a “better way” to follow Christ, by all means, go for it. Joseph Smith would be right there encouraging you to move forward in your beliefs, whatever they might be.

Regards,
MG

Would you ever consider that you may be in a “Mormon bubble”? Oh sorry, a “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints bubble”? That there just may be a much larger world out there and different ways of believing and thinking that are just as valid, important and fulfilling as yours?
That maybe, just maybe, God isn’t that exclusive and small to only have such a tiny sliver of humanity in his “true church”?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:10 am
drumdude wrote:

Regards,
MG
That’s a rather myopic anecdotal view of your ward that discounts what is happening to the Mormon church as a whole. I think you’re wearing rose colored glasses. The church’s own statistics show that over the last few decades growth has been consistently declining and is nearly stagnant now.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

The irony of a Utah Mormon claiming others live in a bubble is just too rich. :roll: :roll:

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:57 am
malkie wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:20 am

I wasn’t complaining. I said:

I suppose I could cut drumdude some slack on his usage of the word ‘desperately’. It is a pretty intense word. He sounded a bit over the top evangelistic. But some folks are that way, I get that.

Regards,
MG
You suppose you could?!?!? How nice of you.

I have to say that that sounds very smug and patronizing.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:14 pm
The irony of a Utah Mormon claiming others live in a bubble is just too rich. :roll: :roll:

- Doc
And using his own Utah ward as the objective standard for the rest of the church to boot... :lol: