What if Joseph Smith was just an Alpha Ape in tune with Nature?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rivendale
God

Re: What if Joseph Smith was just an Alpha Ape in tune with Nature?

Post by Rivendale »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:19 pm
-_-
While Lu Xun borrows the Chinese translation of the title of Gogol's story, to avoid confusion, the English title of Lu Xun's version is usually translated as A Madman's Diary. The story's name was reflected in the name Lina Kostenko's novel Notes of a Ukrainian Madman, which much refers to Gogol's writings.
I prefer Ozzy's version.
Morley
God
Location: Jan van Eyck, Portrait of a Man (Self Portrait), 1433

Post by Morley »

Rivendale wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:34 pm
While Lu Xun borrows the Chinese translation of the title of Gogol's story, to avoid confusion, the English title of Lu Xun's version is usually translated as A Madman's Diary. The story's name was reflected in the name Lina Kostenko's novel Notes of a Ukrainian Madman, which much refers to Gogol's writings.
I prefer Ozzy's version.
Okay, this was sweet. Posts like this remind me why I lurk here.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Free Ranger wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:08 pm
The strongest dude is not going to want to join a group that doesn't welcome him in.

Correct. Instead, he would rather crush his enemies, to see them driven before him, and to hear the lamentations of their women.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Free Ranger wrote:
….High testosterone males often lack empathy and you guys are acting like that as the mob mentality diminishes the individual's empathy circuits….
There are women here acting like high testosterone males? We talked about this ladies! :evil: roid rage exhibitions are to be reserved for Bowling nights ONLY. Capische? :twisted:
The strongest dude is not going to want to join a group that doesn't welcome him in. Every masculine culture, like the ancient Hebrews had a custom of being hospitable to the newcomers. I wish more people chimed in and made me feel more welcome….
Why would you expect this board to have a “masculine culture”?
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I don't think you were getting attacked Free Ranger. Six people responding isn't six attacks. Many of your talking points have links to talking points about masculinity on the right, but after you insisted that's not your influence given you're left-oriented, in my second response, I eliminated those references and tried to focus on the core ideas.

Your example of Rocky was yours, not mine. I pointed out that Rocky is nothing like Joseph Smith. I don't think that's attacking you. It is something you should think about.

Then I pointed out that not all Alphas will be like Rocky and so what do we make of those who want to be like Joseph Smith? I really think the core issue there is what is society willing to accept as an externality produced by tough guys who aren't easily replaced? Am I wrong about that? How is that attacking you?
Fifth Columnist
Nursery

Post by Fifth Columnist »

Free Ranger wrote:
What really baffles me is comments like this from Doctor CamNC4Me saying:
You’re also peddling a narrative that falls right in line with the faithful narrative, that Joseph Smith was the sole ‘author’ or ‘translator’ of the Book of Mormon.
In all due respect, you have not done your homework. Dan Vogel is an exMormon atheist and he is a strong proponent of Joseph Smith as the sole author of The Book of Mormon. In fact, I bet if you search this message board you may even find Dan Vogel arguing that position. One of the first books I read when questioning Mormonism was Sandra and Gerald Tanner's Mormonism: Shadow or Reality. The "queen" (if you will) of Anti-Mormonism, the great Sandra Tanner believes that Joseph Smith is the sole author of The Book of Mormon. Are you accusing them of "peddling a narrative that falls right in line with the LDS faithful narrative"?
Free Ranger, this baffles me too. I find the evidence for Joseph Smith as sole author overwhelming compared to the almost conspiracy level theories offered for ways he could have collaborated with others, especially Solomon Spaulding, etc. Vogel has explained that Joseph Smith only needed to dictate a couple of hours a day to produce the Book of Mormon. The rest of the time was likely spent thinking about ideas, discussing religious concepts with Cowdery and others, etc. I'm not sure I would say the Book of Mormon is complex, but does seem to be a work of unusual significance for someone in that place and time.

It seems that many posters have labeled your ideas as alt-right and then blasted them with both barrels. However, I think Gad has engaged with you honestly and made some good points. I'm not well read or versed in philosophy so I'm not really sure what to think of your ideas from that angle.