Shulem Cracked the Book of Mormon Code, the Land of Nephi is now revealed! See for yourself! The Golden Key!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Shulem Cracked the Book of Mormon Code, the Land of Nephi is now revealed! See for yourself! The Golden Key!

Post by Philo Sofee »

Shulem wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:28 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:01 pm
It will be on Mormon Discussions Inc. I don't have an actual channel produced yet, I did my first live last week just to see if anyone came along. Several did, so I am doing it again. Google Mormon Discussions Inc., it's the Bill Reel, Radio Free Mormon site, you are very familiar with it already. Thanks man.

So, what time did you say that would be "tonight"?

:lol:
6p.m. mountain time... I believe that will be 7 p.m. for you, and you are gonna be part of the show!!! Or at least your information on the Book of Mormon geography...
Shulem
God

Hurricanes

Post by Shulem »

Physics Guy wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:03 am
The point about whirlwinds makes me wonder, though. Does the Book of Mormon really use that word? If so, what did people in Smith's time understand by the term? Whirlwinds are mentioned in the Old Testament, but I think they must have been referring to what we would call dust devils, not tornadoes. Or do tornadoes ever happen in the Middle East?

I really wonder about hurricanes. We know them now as the biggest of all whirlwinds. We see those swirling clouds viewed from space. But did anyone in Smith's time recognize that the most ferocious Atlantic storms were actually whirling? Hurricane rotation is over dozens of miles. You can't really see it, except perhaps if you're right in the eye, and even then I'm not sure everyone would realize that the stadium-like cloud wall was rotating around them.

But perhaps when the Book of Mormon refers to "whirlwinds" it really only means "strong winds".

Yes, the Book of Mormon uses the word whirlwind several times to describe the destruction of people being physically swept away as if by a hurricane. The word is also a term used in the Doctrine and Covenants and also in the Bible many times although somewhat metaphorically. But it's the Book of Mormon that really concerns us on this point! The whirlwind in the Book of Mormon *IS* the hurricane:

• "And they that kill the prophets, and the saints, the depths of the earth shall swallow them up, saith the Lord of Hosts; and mountains shall cover them, and whirlwinds shall carry them away, and buildings shall fall upon them and crush them to pieces and grind them to powder." (2 Nephi 26:5)
  • "Yea, they shall not be beaten down by the storm at the last day; yea, neither shall they be harrowed up by the whirlwinds; but when the storm cometh they shall be gathered together in their place, that the storm cannot penetrate to them; yea, neither shall they be driven with fierce winds whithersoever the enemy listeth to carry them." (Alma 26:6)
  • "And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you..." (Helaman 5:12)
  • "But behold, there was a more great and terrible destruction in the land northward; for behold, the whole face of the land was changed, because of the tempest and the whirlwinds, and the thunderings and the lightnings, and the exceedingly great quaking of the whole earth" (3 Nephi 8:12)
  • "And there were some who were carried away in the whirlwind; and whither they went no man knoweth, save they know that they were carried away." (3 Nephi 8:16)

Joseph Smith, his family, and those of his time knew about the phenomena of the hurricane or cyclone. It was the worst of storms and as old as the earth. Everyone knew that storms on the coast were something to be reckoned with. Here are a couple of examples to that effect:

Letter to the Church in Colesville, 2 December 1830

"Salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. Wherefore comfort one another, even as ye also do; for perilous times are at hand, for behold the dethronement and deposition of the kings in the eastern continent, the whirlwinds in the West India Islands, it has destroyed a number of vessels, uprooted buildings and strewed them in the air; the fields of spices have been destroyed, and the inhabitants have barely escaped with their lives"

Church History 1840

"Thursday 7 The city of Natchez was this day destroyed almost​ in a moment, by whirlwind storms & Tempest,— it is reported, 60 boats sunk. Houses & churches blown to atoms, more than 300 persons killed, & $5000000 of property destroyed, nearly the whole country on the mississippi for 1100 miles from its mouth is under water."
Shulem
God

Re: Shulem Cracked the Book of Mormon Code, the Land of Nephi is now revealed! See for yourself! The Golden Key!

Post by Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:32 am
Shulem wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:28 pm

So, what time did you say that would be "tonight"?

6p.m. mountain time... I believe that will be 7 p.m. for you, and you are gonna be part of the show!!! Or at least your information on the Book of Mormon geography...

Well, I'll try to make it there but I don't have a YouTube account so I can't participate in discussions or comments.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:51 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:32 am

Well, I'll try to make it there but I don't have a YouTube account so I can't participate in discussions or comments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYnt3F5NMSI

You did a good job shampooing your hair. Looks good. That helps!

PS. You must have said my names 10 times! I'm famous. LOL. <big grin> hahahahahh
Last edited by Shulem on Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:04 am
Shulem, back a couple of pages Malkie noted he though you meant Zarahemla was in Maryland west of this Delmar peninsula. You corrected indicating you meant the middle of the peninsula. When reading your thread I had the same understanding as Malkie. I am no close student of the Book of Mormon and have no interest in trying to map out the movements myself. I have some vague recollection that some apologist have proposed that the book presents a clear and consistent set of geographic relationships. I am wondering if the matter of location of Zarahemla is ambiguous in the Book of Mormon , just enough to open alternative readings. I can see physic guys point about not being too exact but at the same time an ongoing reference to a map would be very helpful for not getting the story too tangled.

A person might consider that the book has a lot of group shuffling around. Perhaps an amount fitting an author who likes a map more than fitting real people unusually footloose.

The *LAND* of Zarahemla is WEST of the river Sidon and the city is somewhere, anywhere, whatever you prefer most -- in or about the center of the landmass. It's not an exact science. But it's important to differentiate between the LAND of Zarahemla and the CITY of Zarahemla.

Maybe at some point I'll do a more detailed map if people are interested. But if I do, I don't want my map to be any more detailed than the one Joseph was imagining when he told his story. Being in synch with Smith is my upmost desire in matters concerning his geography.

Zarahemla is north and west of the other side of the river Sidon

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Shulem wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:03 am
Shulem wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:51 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYnt3F5NMSI

You did a good job shampooing your hair. Looks good. That helps!

PS. You must have said my names 10 times! I'm famous. LOL. <big grin> hahahahahh
Yeah well, I would say well deserved accolades for you and your work.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Shulem wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:04 pm
But Delmarva fits perfectly in size and orientation. It fits like a glove.
Perfect reason for apologists to reject it. It would not require sufficient pretzelized reasoning.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

I’m not sure the point about whether hurricanes were actually understood to rotate in Smith’s time is really relevant to anything here. Strong winds do whirl things around on small scales, and strong winds are all that really matter for the Book of Mormon, I think.

But it seems as though the vortex nature of hurricanes was in fact guessed shortly before Smith’s time, in New England. After a bad hurricane in Connecticut in 1821, someone noticed that in the northern part of the affected area trees were blown down in one direction, while in the southern part of the storm the trees fell in the opposite direction. There was also a professor at Harvard who had proposed a vortex theory of hurricanes in 1815.

So if the Book of Mormon seems to be a bit more definite than earlier writings about big coastal storms being “whirlwinds”, it could just be because Smith had heard that they really did whirl.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Physics Guy wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:06 am
I’m not sure the point about whether hurricanes were actually understood to rotate in Smith’s time is really relevant to anything here. Strong winds do whirl things around on small scales, and strong winds are all that really matter for the Book of Mormon, I think.

But it seems as though the vortex nature of hurricanes was in fact guessed shortly before Smith’s time, in New England. After a bad hurricane in Connecticut in 1821, someone noticed that in the northern part of the affected area trees were blown down in one direction, while in the southern part of the storm the trees fell in the opposite direction. There was also a professor at Harvard who had proposed a vortex theory of hurricanes in 1815.

So if the Book of Mormon seems to be a bit more definite than earlier writings about big coastal storms being “whirlwinds”, it could just be because Smith had heard that they really did whirl.

I am really glad you brought up your point about the whirlwind. It serves to prove that Smith was thinking about coastal lands that are directly subject to real whirlwinds (hurricanes) massive rotating storms originating from the ocean. The biblical use for whirlwind seems to suggest strong and straight winds. The circular phenomena is not present. They did not have hurricanes in Israel!

Now, to consult Smith's dictionary and see if his Book of Mormon whirlwind is of a different nature than the biblical ones:

Webster's Dictionary 1828 wrote:WHIRLWIND, noun [whirl and wind.] A violent wind moving in a circle, or rather in a spiral form, as if moving round an axis; this axis or the perpendicular column moving horizontally, raising and whirling dust, leaves and the like.

It seems that we have a match. The Book of Mormon whirlwind is a hurricane that covers a great deal of space. All this is simply more evidence to find the Land of Nephi on the ocean coast rather than in the heartland of America where hurricanes don't occur. Atlantic hurricanes, even in New England have always been a factor. The Smith family must have had knowledge of these matters. The Smith family lived off the land and being in touch with nature and how it works is vital in maintaining crops and animals.

All this is terrible news for the Heartland models!

:o
Shulem
God

Sorry Charlie, you don't get whirlwinds

Post by Shulem »

I can't resist a little humor:

Hurricane Heartlander wrote: Hurricane, hurricane, where is the hurricane? Give us a hurricane so our model can be true!

:evil:

Says the hurricane:

"Request denied! Your model is NOT true. Sorry Charlie. You don't know the Book of Mormon very well, do you? And straighten your narrow neck out you drunken fool! stand up straight!"