IGNORE. I Was Wrong. MINOR Disagreement with Dan Vogel

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
bill4long
Bishop

Re: MINOR Disagreement with Dan Vogel

Post by bill4long »

dan vogel wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:15 am
I think you missed my point. In saying Joseph Smith had a born-again experience, I was saying it wasn't all that special. No vision of Jesus or the Father. It was a run of the mill ecstatic experience. Plenty of people have been born again and fallen from grace.
I listened again last night. I had it completely backwards. :) Thanks. Keep up the great work.

Bill
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

bill4long wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:16 pm
dan vogel wrote:
I think you missed my point. In saying Joseph Smith had a born-again experience, I was saying it wasn't all that special. No vision of Jesus or the Father. It was a run of the mill ecstatic experience. Plenty of people have been born again and fallen from grace.
I listened again last night. I had it completely backwards. :) Thanks. Keep up the great work.

Bill
We all do this, no harms no fouls. Fun to learn through our errors, and believe me I am one of the most error prone!
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:12 am
bill4long wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:16 pm

Bill
We all do this, no harms no fouls. Fun to learn through our errors, and believe me I am one of the most error prone!
Yes, we all do this, but not all of us are so willing to own our errors - kudos, bill4long!
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

malkie wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:43 am
Yes, we all do this, but not all of us are so willing to own our errors - kudos, bill4long!
You did something that President Dallin Oaks would never do. Bill must have additional light and knowledge which has been denied to President Oaks.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
sock puppet
1st Counselor

Re: IGNORE. I Was Wrong. MINOR Disagreement with Dan Vogel

Post by sock puppet »

If I believed in the Bible and had a theophany experience, it would go without God needing to say that I would need to hew closer to the precepts in the Bible than I had prior to that. Love your neighbor as thyself (Matthew 22:39, Mark 12:31), treating others as you would want to be treated (Luke 6:31, Matthew 7:12), treating others as you would Jesus himself (Matthew 25:40), "And if you have not been faithful in the use of that which is another's, who will give you that which is your own?" (Luke 16:12). Continuing as a glass looker for hire just doesn't seem to be a good fit.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:27 am
dan vogel wrote:
Hello Dan Vogel, I have some questions about the translation process. Do you believe Smith really "translated" the Mormon book in a three-month period?
Until you hear back from Dan Vogel here is a resource that might be helpful:

Maybe you’ve already seen it. Anyway, for what it’s worth, here it is.

http://eldenwatson.net/BoMIntro.htm

Scroll to:

Approximate Book of Mormon Translation Timeline

At bottom of page.

Select.

Regards,
MG
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:28 pm

Scroll to:

At bottom of page.

Select.

Regards,
MG

Thank you for your spiritual guidance. May I ask you something else.

Is drinking coffee a sin?

and

What is the official position of the church on child marriage?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:15 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:28 pm

Scroll to:

At bottom of page.

Select.

Regards,
MG

Thank you for your spiritual guidance. May I ask you something else.

Is drinking coffee a sin?

and

What is the official position of the church on child marriage?
Coffee? I think that is a personal personal judgement. For some, yes. For others, no.

Child marriage? I have not referred to the current Church Handbook. I don’t know. But again I think that is a personal/societal judgment/decision that is made. In today’s world I think that a majority of the civilized world would be opposed to child marriage. Including the LDS Church.

If you’ve had a chance to go through Elden Watson’s Book of Mormon translation timeline you may find it at least somewhat amazing to consider the work and dedication it took to bring the Book of Mormon to publication.

No easy task.

Regards,
MG
Morley
God
Location: Jan van Eyck, Portrait of a Man (Self Portrait), 1433

Post by Morley »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:57 pm

If you’ve had a chance to go through Elden Watson’s Book of Mormon translation timeline you may find it at least somewhat amazing to consider the work and dedication it took to bring the Book of Mormon to publication.

No easy task.

Regards,
MG
Please start a new thread.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:32 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:57 pm

No easy task.

Regards,
MG
Please start a new thread.
Answering doubtingthomas. I’ve already expressed my thoughts on this matter over here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=154572&start=40

I’m not really interested in pursuing it at this point.

Carry on.

Regards,
MG