Louis C. Midgley Accuses John Dehlin Of Serving A “Ragged” Mission.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Louis C. Midgley Accuses John Dehlin Of Serving A “Ragged” Mission.

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:07 pm
If anything, we were envious about all the success they routinely saw while we didn't.
Trying to sell tea abstinence in Japan must have been tough.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
¥akaSteelhead
Deacon

Post by ¥akaSteelhead »

Midgely, the little ball of Mormon hate that keeps on giving.
master_dc
Star B

Post by master_dc »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:31 pm
agree shades. first world missionaries commonly looked up to third world missionaries. the calling to third world was a sign of greater righteousness and/or potential for church leadership.
Based off of the current crop of leaders, i thought serving a mission was no longer a requirement
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

master_dc wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:21 pm
Dr Moore wrote:
agree shades. first world missionaries commonly looked up to third world missionaries. the calling to third world was a sign of greater righteousness and/or potential for church leadership.
Based off of the current crop of leaders, i thought serving a mission was no longer a requirement
According to Kevin Pearson, Area Authority in Utah, it is a “dumb question” for boys to ask whether they should serve a mission. The requirement is alive and well.
pistolero
Deacon

Post by pistolero »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:07 pm
Bond wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:46 pm
I'd love to see a larger discussion about if missionaries who went to the "first world" looked down on missionaries who went to "third world" countries to see how much casual racism we can uncover. I suspect there are a lot of missionaries who got two converts in the Netherlands and still look down on the guy who got 9 in Chile.
Having been a missionary in a first world country myself, I can say from personal experience that neither I nor anyone I knew looked down on missionaries who served in the third world. If anything, we were envious about all the success they routinely saw while we didn't.

And believe you me, casual racism didn't fuel such envy in any way, shape, or form.
As an ex-missionary in the first, my experience was that racism was alive, well and rampant. There was certainly envy for those in countries baptising like Alma.

My experience with racism and missionary work has a lot to do with increased migration though. Serving in a "first-world" country, but seeking out those arrivals from elsewhere. We even had a phrase book of African languages passed down from mission leaders so as to help build relationships of trust. It was all very cynical. We were given dialogues of how to engage so that the people will like you which discussed favourite foods, traditional clothing, etc... We even had an abridged 10 minute discussion for giving on the door step to help "manage time" better. Because we were wasting time giving them the full hour due to perceived cultural behaviours.

I had one companion who used to think he was funny while tracting - for me it was satire of the mission mindset and reality. If a white person answered the door, he wouldn't even bother with the door approach, he would just say "oh, sorry to bother you" and walk off.

As a non-gringo, I was also surprised how much anti-mexican sentiment was brought to my mission, and there wasn't even a mexican in sight. But I'm less surprised about this in hindsight.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

master_dc wrote:
Dr Moore wrote:
That would be a good question for Midgley - Is it better to not serve a mission at all, than to serve a mission during which you struggle; aren’t successful in terms of baptism numbers; or which you finish early? Not serving a mission, as you point out, hasn’t hampered the church career ambitions of a number of the currently serving Q15.
master_dc
Star B

Post by master_dc »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:53 am
master_dc wrote:

That would be a good question for Midgley - Is it better to not serve a mission at all, than to serve a mission during which you struggle; aren’t successful in terms of baptism numbers; or which you finish early? Not serving a mission, as you point out, hasn’t hampered the church career ambitions of a number of the currently serving Q15.
When I read about "Prophets of old" there is always an admirable part of them that is out amongst the people, discussing, arguing, sharing the message of god to audiences that are often not friendly. When I view current leaders of the church, I see armchair quarterbacks. None of these men have stood on the line and shared this message that they claim to be so important to the world. Missionaries don't even do this anymore. In the time of social media, and having the literal world as your audience, the leaders messages should be the number 1 source of referrals. Instead the kids on missions are trying to figure out how to sell a product that has little to no fit, and are held responsible for the results.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

master_dc wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:21 pm
IHAQ wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:53 am
When I read about "Prophets of old" there is always an admirable part of them that is out amongst the people, discussing, arguing, sharing the message of god to audiences that are often not friendly. When I view current leaders of the church, I see armchair quarterbacks. None of these men have stood on the line and shared this message that they claim to be so important to the world. Missionaries don't even do this anymore. In the time of social media, and having the literal world as your audience, the leaders messages should be the number 1 source of referrals. Instead the kids on missions are trying to figure out how to sell a product that has little to no fit, and are held responsible for the results.
And the kids are figuring it all out, by God they are getting to the light...