Your strangest Bible Passage

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Your strangest Bible Passage

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

From wiki:
Concerned for their father having descendants, one evening, Lot's eldest daughter gets Lot drunk and has sex with him without his knowledge. The following night, the younger daughter does the same. They both become pregnant; the older daughter gives birth to Moab, while the younger daughter gives birth to Ammon.
I suppose when people claim the jewish god is a god of love, they don’t have incestual rape in mind. Well, at least their god doesn’t rape another man’s wife in order to create a vessel for himself so he can allow himself to be murdered in order to forgive us for the way he made us. *clears throat*

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:55 pm
From wiki:
Concerned for their father having descendants, one evening, Lot's eldest daughter gets Lot drunk and has sex with him without his knowledge. The following night, the younger daughter does the same. They both become pregnant; the older daughter gives birth to Moab, while the younger daughter gives birth to Ammon.
I suppose when people claim the jewish god is a god of love, they don’t have incestual rape in mind. Well, at least their god doesn’t rape another man’s wife in order to create a vessel for himself so he can allow himself to be murdered in order to forgive us for the way he made us. *clears throat*

- Doc
I am not quite sure why you are confusing Lots daughter with the Jewish god. Most people have thought they were different individuals.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Just a few more verses (out of hundreds) that clearly show you should never get on Jesus’s bad side:

“And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.” Genesis 6:7

“The people of Samaria must bear their guilt, because they have rebelled against their God. They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open." Hosea 13:16

“Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.” (Peter 2:18: )

”Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.” Numbers 31:17-18
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:42 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
From wiki:

I suppose when people claim the jewish god is a god of love, they don’t have incestual rape in mind.

Well, at least their god doesn’t rape another man’s wife in order to create a vessel for himself so he can allow himself to be murdered in order to forgive us for the way he made us. *clears throat*

- Doc
I am not quite sure why you are confusing Lots daughter with the Jewish god. Most people have thought they were different individuals.
I’m not. I did a poor job of transitioning from Lot’s daughters raping Lot so they could make daddy-babies to -> the jewish god raping Mary so he could create himself a body to inhabit as himself-Jesus so he could be murdered in order to take on the sins of the people he created.

I was attempting to be performative and failed to execute. I am ashamed. :(

- Doc.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Here is some low hanging fruit I guess I'll pick. - God set the rainbow in the sky to remind himself not to get mad and kill everybody again. But then immediately forgets his newfound graciousness and curses Ham, his neighbors, his dog and even the shrubbery because Ham accidently saw dad Noah passed out drunk, naked, laying on the tent floor.

16 aAnd the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the beverlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.

20 And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard:

21 And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.

22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.

23 And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father’s nakedness.

24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.

25 And he said, aCursed be bCanaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.

26 And he said, Blessed be the Lord God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his aservant.

I remember reading this at an early age, maybe 10 or 12, thinking, wow, that sure seems a bit harsh.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Probably not the strangest...The LORD will smite thee with the botch of Egypt, and with the emerods, and with the scab, and with the itch, whereof thou canst not be healed. Deuteronomy 28:27
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:34 am
huckelberry wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:42 pm
I’m not. I did a poor job of transitioning from Lot’s daughters raping Lot so they could make daddy-babies to -> the jewish god raping Mary so he could create himself a body to inhabit as himself-Jesus so he could be murdered in order to take on the sins of the people he created.

- Doc.
The pitch was good, Doc. Huck musta missed the sign.
Last edited by dantana on Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
From wiki:

- Doc
Reddit gold right there.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

dantana wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:41 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:34 am

- Doc.
The pitch was good, Doc. Huck musta missed the sign.
I think Brigham Young was wrong about Jesus conception.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I suppose in fairness I could list a Biblical passage that bothers me. Exodus 32 When the people saw that Moses delayed to come down from the mountain the people gathered themselves together to Aaron and said to him . Up, make us gods who shall go before us, as for this Moses the man who brought us up out of the land of Egypt we do not know what has become of him . And Aaron said to them Take off the rings of gold which are in the ears of your wives and sons and daughters and bring them to me....

Even when pretty young I felt this abrupt alteration of the story line was seriously unrealistic. It is like a different story teller gets control of the story and turns it into a new and progressively brutal direction. It underlines the size of the fictional filter employed in this whole exodus story. It is an indicator that is hard to ignore that whatever real event lies in back of the escape from Egypt story it is being told here to reflect the political views of a certain party late in the period of Kings.(Josiah reform or continuation of that thought in Babylon)