What exactly Is Wrong with Polygamy anyway?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Informant
CTR B

Re: What exactly Is Wrong with Polygamy anyway?

Post by Informant »

Yes you’re right. That was a cop out answer. You won’t find me defending polygamy in any of its forms or practices. But my point was that we do have the advantage of “being here” to witness its modern form.
sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

KevinSim wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:47 pm
On this forum every once in a while someone will mention polygamy in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as if that's a guaranteed way of scoring points against that church. I personally have no desire whatsoever to be married to more women than just my one wife, but if three adults (of any gender combination) want to join into a marriage relationship, why should anyone else care? I heard one source say polygamy is bad because it exploits women. Why is it that a man marrying two women means he's exploiting women, but another man marrying just one woman means he is not exploiting women?
A few questions:
1. Why did Joseph Smith keep the the extra women ("wives") hidden if there is nothing wrong with it?
2. Where is the righteous seed of his extra marriages, to keep it in line with Jacob 2:30 of the Book of Mormon?
3. How is a plural "marriage" kept secret different than garden-variety adultery, which the LDS Church condemns?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Dr. Kingsfield
Nursery

Post by Dr. Kingsfield »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:12 am
Informant wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:39 pm
I dunno, I wasn’t there.
Lots of people who were there left written records describing it. Guess what? It was practiced exactly the same way the FLDS practice it.
Do all written records confirm that all former practices were exactly the same as all FLDS practices?

If so, do you intend to support your position?
Last edited by Dr. Kingsfield on Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Kingsfield
Nursery

Post by Dr. Kingsfield »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:20 pm
Informant wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:39 pm
I dunno, I wasn’t there.
That’s such a cop out answer. If you’re going to snipe the topic at least get familiar with the history of it. Demonstrate some curiosity, use Google, and get smart on it. It takes anywhere from a few minutes if you’re a skimmer to a few days if you’re a read-for-understanding type of person.

- Doc
How then is it's practice of polygamy any different from the LDS church's former practice of it?
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:57 pm
On the other hand, I have several friends who have had or are in polyamorous relationships.
I think real polyamorous relationships are extremely rare. Polyandrous relationships are probably way more common.

I doubt most men can get multiple girlfriends at the same time in an open relationship.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Informant wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:50 pm
But my point was that we do have the advantage of “being here” to witness its modern form.
Well, FLDS members claim that news reports about them are not accurate.

Therefore, you don't really know. Or do you?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:23 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:57 pm
On the other hand, I have several friends who have had or are in polyamorous relationships.
I think real polyamorous relationships are extremely rare. Polyandrous relationships are probably way more common.

I doubt most men can get multiple girlfriends at the same time in an open relationship.
Polyandry has to do with marriage. Polyamory is a broader term that is not limited to marriage.

I doubt you have a handle of the frequency of the various forms of polyamory. I know I don’t.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:35 pm
Polyandry has to do with marriage. Polyamory is a broader term that is not limited to marriage.
The point is that the vast majority of women will never be in a poly relationship.

Polyamory is a group men and one woman. :lol:
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:51 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:35 pm

The point is that the vast majority of women will never be in a poly relationship.

Polyamory is a group men and one woman. :lol:
The vast majority of men will never be in polyamorous relationship.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:59 pm
The vast majority of men will never be in polyamorous relationship.
One in 6 Americans find polyamory to be acceptable. Men 21% versus women 13% are more likely to accept polyamory lifestyle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyamory ... ted_States