Church comments on SEC settlement

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rivendale
God

Re: Church comments on SEC settlement

Post by Rivendale »

You so very, very, very badly want to turn us all into inflamed and enraged zealots like yourself on this matter, BS. You should have realized by now that it's a waste of effort. I'm simply not going to become indignant about this and I'm not going to suddenly despise people that I know and respect -- and probably few others here will, either.

Have you, by the way, ever noticed how many commercial tankers and freighters have Liberian registry? Or Panamanian? Isn't it astonishing what economic titans Panama and Liberia are?

There it is. I refuse to acknowledge any wrong doing by people I like. That statement right there is why we have the problems systemic in Mormonism. The absolute opposite of accountability. Give brother Joseph a break. I usually ignore this but that statement generates so much harm.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Rivendale wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:51 pm
You so very, very, very badly want to turn us all into inflamed and enraged zealots like yourself on this matter, BS. You should have realized by now that it's a waste of effort. I'm simply not going to become indignant about this and I'm not going to suddenly despise people that I know and respect -- and probably few others here will, either.

Have you, by the way, ever noticed how many commercial tankers and freighters have Liberian registry? Or Panamanian? Isn't it astonishing what economic titans Panama and Liberia are?

There it is. I refuse to acknowledge any wrong doing by people I like. That statement right there is why we have the problems systemic in Mormonism. The absolute opposite of accountability. Give brother Joseph a break. I usually ignore this but that statement generates so much harm.
I guess it makes sense, coming from someone with a long-term history of petulant defiance over the idea of personal accountability. Dan is a bad faith actor. History will judge his legacy that way. Meh. Moving on. His voice is irrelevant to this conversation anyway.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

There's so much discussion about this going on at the MADD board that it's crashing :lol:
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:14 pm
There's so much discussion about this going on at the MADD board that it's crashing :lol:
Are you attempting a DoS attack by continually refreshing the page?

Or (cue sinister music**) have you coordinated with a bunch of apostates throughout the world to make it a DDoS?

** as distinct from Dexter music, that is
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

SMAC
Does the physical office address of an LLC used for registering/maintaining an LLC matter or not?

Not.
Again, there is zero evidence of fraud or other "moral" misconduct.
Creating LLCs is not "dishonest."

Using them in an protracted effort to comply with SEC reporting requirements is not "dishonest."

I will grant that the allegations about withholding the 13F forms from the managers of the LLC is potentially problematic, but we know essentially nothing about who authorized/ordered that, or why.
https://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/75 ... c/page/42/

There's a lot of wriggling and squirming going on over there...
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

IHAQ wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:27 pm
SMAC
Does the physical office address of an LLC used for registering/maintaining an LLC matter or not?

Not.
Again, there is zero evidence of fraud or other "moral" misconduct.
Creating LLCs is not "dishonest."

Using them in an protracted effort to comply with SEC reporting requirements is not "dishonest."

I will grant that the allegations about withholding the 13F forms from the managers of the LLC is potentially problematic, but we know essentially nothing about who authorized/ordered that, or why.
https://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/75 ... c/page/42/

There's a lot of wriggling and squirming going on over there...
You are plainly putting loyalty to the Brethren above the needs of a struggling member.
Wriggling for god.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I guess it makes sense, coming from someone with a long-term history of petulant defiance over the idea of personal accountability. Dan is a bad faith actor. History will judge his legacy that way. Meh. Moving on. His voice is irrelevant to this conversation anyway.
Yep! Irrelevant.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

The plea of nolo contendere, "I will not contest it," had its origin in the early English common law. It was an implied confession used in noncapital cases whereby the accused did not expressly state that he was guilty, but rather he tacitly admitted it. By such a plea, the accused threw himself on the king's mercy, hopeful of being punished only by a small fine.

Defendant was indicted as an accessory to first degree murder. At the trial he withdrew his plea of not guilty, and entered a plea of nolo contendere upon the condition that he be given a life sentence. The state and the court were willing to accept the plea and the defendant was sentenced to life imprisonment. On appeal, the defendant raised the question whether the trial court could properly accept a plea of nolo contendere to a capital offense. HELD, the defendant's plea of nolo contendere has the same effect as a plea of guilty in those particular cases in which the plea is entered. Judgment affirmed. The significance of this holding results from the district court's statement that "since the Florida Supreme Court has approved the acceptance of a guilty plea in a capital case, there is no reason why a plea of nolo contendere cannot also be accepted in such a case."
Is a difference that makes no difference really a difference?

https://scholarship.law.ufl.edu/cgi/vie ... ontext=flr

I sometimes do the same as the church and plead no contest rather than guilty to a speeding ticket. It makes a huge difference in letting me sleep at night.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Are you suggesting that the Church incorporate in Panama or Liberia so they can avoid reporting requirements? That makes double sense considering the membership growth in Africa.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Rivendale wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:51 pm

***EXACTLY RIGHT***