The Jesus Myth: An unrelenting case for history

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
dastardly stem
God

Re: The Jesus Myth: An unrelenting case for history

Post by dastardly stem »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:13 pm

I think this is worth emphasizing. No one except believing Christians are claiming with a surety that the historical Jesus existed.
That's not true. Ehrman has declared with terrible reasoning that Jesus certainly existed. he puts the figure at 99% certain--which in historical terms, especially for something from 2,000 years ago is basically an absurdity. So no, the dogma goes far beyond believing Christians.
All scholars are saying is that it seems very plausible that a historical Jesus existed, in as far as it is possible to know that anyone from that long ago existed.
And any scholars who wishes to make a case, within the scholarship, for Jesus' historicity would provide music to my ears, as it is. It's a shame they simply state their opinion, without giving us good reasons, and then refuse to engage the topic.
Bart Ehrman is certainly not providing any cover or support for believing Christians, because he doesn’t believe the historical Jesus was anything but an apocalyptic Jewish preacher. He agrees with the myth position that supernatural aspects were slowly added on to the Jesus character over time.
Bart agrees with many believing Christians in terms of the history. it's been suggested Jesus was some ragged apocalyptic preacher since Schweitzer claimed it to be a likely scenario for Jesus well over 100 years ago. But there's no evidence for that position...sadly. at least not sufficient evidence.
The fanatical position here is the belief that a historical Jesus could not have possibly existed. Agnosticism about the historicity is perfectly warranted, and I don’t see any scholars saying dogmatically “Jesus 100 percent existed with 0 doubt.”
Jesus' historicity claims seem to be dogmatism. There's no scholarship supporting the case, and when engaged on the topic, nothing material usually gets presented for his historicity. An "I''m not really sure" is perhaps most appropriate but many scholars suggest it's a virtual certainty Jesus existed. The problem is they don't give good reason for that view.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:31 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:53 pm
Stem, chapter 21 is an opening of an extended discussion through the next several chapters .I sampled these. At least to my reading they proceed on quite a different view than the view you extract from one line in chapter 21

I remember once I read all the way through Justin's apology. It is dull reading , I fell asleep several time in the process. Justin meanders and is slow to the point.
I'm confused still. Are you saying Justin didn't say the quotation I offered including all of it's surrounding context that I linked to? Meaning Justin didn't say "And when we say also that the Word, who is the first-birth of God, was produced without sexual union, and that He, Jesus Christ, our Teacher, was crucified and died, and rose again, and ascended into heaven, we propound nothing different from what you believe regarding those whom you esteem sons of Jupiter."? Or are you saying this is not a big deal because you can quote other things from Justin? You know, as do I, that Justin goes on to list a number of roman and greek heros and gods to confirm his argument. So I'm not sure what you're driving at.

I quoted Justin. I linked to more of his words describing what I detailed, and you quoted another portion from Justin and said "These are as close to what the opening post claims about Justin as I think can be found". Well, no. You realize Justin did claim that the myths of Jesus are also in previous myths found amongst the people. Christians, according to Justin says they "propound nothing different from what you (Roman citizens heavily influenced by Greek thought) believe regarding those whom you esteem sons of Jupiter".
Stem , your quote is correct you just interpret it as you believe not as Justin believed. To Justin the truth of the Jesus story was very important and he viewed that as in contrast to the similar stories which he viewed as both false and morally corrupt. That is why I copied chapter 23where Justin is clear he views the Jesus story not as myth but as sober fact.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:32 pm

Mark's story was created by, as Robyn Faith Walsh puts it, an anonymous hellenized Jew who was likely a part of a literal elite community set on impressing his community.
It’s my understanding she does not take the mythesist position.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:52 pm
Stem , your quote is correct you just interpret it as you believe not as Justin believed. To Justin the truth of the Jesus story was very important and he viewed that as in contrast to the similar stories which he viewed as both false and morally corrupt. That is why I copied chapter 23where Justin is clear he views the Jesus story not as myth but as sober fact.
Understood. That makes a lot of sense, huckelberry. Justin believed. I think I worded a few things confusingly in the OP now that you say that. Thanks for bearing with me.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:53 pm

It’s my understanding she does not take the mythesist position.
I think that's right. just wish I knew why, as with many others who are adamantly historicists.

For those interested, Carrier keeps a list of scholars who take the mythicist position seriously, as far as he's been able to confirm.

https://www.richardcarrier.information/archives/21420

That's not to say any of these are adamant mythicists. Just that they all take it as a serious scholarly position which likely should be engaged with as such.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Manetho
Valiant B

Post by Manetho »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:23 pm
I like Carrier's approach over yours only in that he takes a list of criteria then applies the stories of these characters checking off anytime they meet the criteria.
This approach has major problems, which have already been discussed.

dastardly stem wrote:It's less biased it seems to me, than to take a bunch of characters and suggesting Jesus is like these all because timing.
The deities and mythic heroes originated at some point in the prehistory or protohistory of Greece and Rome, when those cultures were not even fully literate yet. The Hellenistic Period and the early Roman Empire had highly literate upper classes, had a long tradition of writing history and biography, and are probably the best-documented periods in all of ancient history. They are fundamentally different eras.

Historians of the ancient world have to understand how ancient cultures understood the world, how they remembered their past, and how they viewed particular concepts relevant to the topic at hand (in this case, divinity). In a preliterate society, those things will be profoundly different from a culture with well-established literacy and a very busy scribal tradition, which will be different again from an Enlightenment-era society with printing presses and widespread literacy, which will be different again from a society with ubiquitous audio and video recording technology. If you can't take those massive cultural differences into account when trying to assess historical plausibility, why even bother?
dastardly stem wrote:But there's no evidence for that position...sadly. at least not sufficient evidence.
Not sufficient for you. But you have a habit of dismissing each individual piece of evidence as insufficient, and then ignoring how they all stack up when taken together. Paul refers to Jesus as a fleshly descendant of David born of a woman, and refers to one man as Jesus' brother. Josephus records the execution of a man by the same name, "the brother of Jesus who was called messiah". The gospel of Mark describes Jesus with a relatively "low" Christology (unlike the letters of Paul), incorporating puns that only work in Aramaic, and incorporating historical details from the Judea of 40 years earlier, suggesting that the gospel derives from sources from Judea in that timeframe. And there is no evidence, aside from the questionable mythicist interpretation of Paul, to indicate that a belief in a purely mythical Jesus actually existed in the ancient world. It is possible to construct alternate explanations for each of these points, but most of those explanations are independent of each other, whereas they are all easily explained if the beliefs surrounding Jesus derived from a real person. Occam's razor cuts in favor of historicity.
PseudoPaul
Star B

Post by PseudoPaul »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:00 pm
PseudoPaul wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:48 pm

You've got it exactly backwards. The vast majority of New Testament scholars agree that there is a historical person behind the Jesus in the gospels, although the self-identity and history of that person is very different from what the evangelists portray.

Mythicists are just a few cranks on the fringes of academia who have yet to deal effectively with the historical evidence for Jesus of Nazareth. It's flat earther conspiracy theory nonsense.
Nah...you misunderstand the situation. It may be that if we surveyed all scholars who could be said to be included as having relevant work related in some way to this topic of historical studies about Jesus or the religion, we'd see the majority say Jesus really did live. But, of course, most of those would be Christians anyway (this in fact highlights the big problem with that Habermas guy's work). The problem with that is we have no idea if these scholars have fairly evaluated the question or the data or the scholarly arguments. Its just opinion that may or may not have credible backing. But...if we survey the scholarship--the works being produced by scholars under the rubric of peer review--we see the majority of such scholarship to be mythicism. Historicity needs to enter the arena of these ideas. I think it will one of these days. Until then, I'm happy to concede many scholars assume historicity.
Whoever told this to you was lying to you. There are only a handful of mythicist and they are considered to be cranks.

https://ehrmanblog.org/the-gospels-and- ... -of-jesus/

The Gospels and the Existence of Jesus
October 27, 2016
If you have only thirty minutes to build a case that Jesus of Nazareth really existed, how do you do it?

That was the problem I was confronted with this past Friday at the Mythicist Milwaukee conference, in my debate with Robert Price. Rather than mount a lot of arguments and say very little about each one of them (what we used to call “the shotgun approach” when I was in high school), I thought it would be better just to make a few points and pack them up with evidence and reasoning.

The first and most obvious point, to me, is this. Jesus is one of the two best attested Jews living in Palestine in the entire first century. There were hundreds of thousands of Jews in some way connected with Palestine at the time Only one is better attested than Jesus (with a proviso, which I’ll explain). That one is the Jewish historian Josephus. The reason he is better known than Jesus is because he has left us a large number of writings – a twenty-volume history of the Jewish people, for example, a six-volume discussion of the Jewish War against Rome, and an autobiography. Now *that’s* a lot of documentation for a person! Jesus, so far as we know, didn’t write a thing, and so we have nothing like that from him. Or for any other Jew at the time and place.

But if you look simply at external documentation – that is, references to and discussions about a person by other sources – Jesus in fact is much better documented than Josephus. By an enormous margin.

We have four biographies of Jesus written by different people from the next generation. Four biographies?!? About how many people in all of antiquity do we have four biographies???

I’m not – I am decidedly not – saying that the four Gospels are unproblematic, that they are free from error, contradiction, and bias. As I pointed out during the debate, I have more or less made a career out of evaluating their errors, contradictions, and biases. But we cannot overlook the fact that we have four narrative accounts of the things Jesus said and did. Four lengthy narratives. Written by different people at different times and in different places.

How many (non-self-authored) narratives do we have about the words and deeds of Josephus? None. How many narratives do we have of Caiaphus, the most highly placed Jew of Jesus’ day? None. How many narratives do we have of the words and deeds of the Roman governor Pontius Pilate, the most powerful man in all of Palestine in Jesus’ day? None. How many narratives do we have of any of the hundreds of thousands of people living or even visiting in Palestine from the first century, apart from Jesus? None.

And so for Jesus, we have a wealth of material…

The Rest of this Post is for Members Only. To join costs less than a Starbuck’s a month. And it will keep you SO much more alert and happy. So JOIN!!! Every dime goes to charity (instead of to Starbucks).

And so for Jesus, we have a wealth of material at our disposal, far more than for anyone else living at the time in Palestine. Of course, we have to use these sources critically in light of the problems they present us (errors, contradictions, and biases). But when we do, we can indeed discover valuable historical information.

It is important to stress: these are four different accounts. Mythicists often argue that we have only one account, Mark, who made everything up, and the others got their information from Mark. This is wrong on every score.

To begin with, yes it is true that Matthew and Luke (but not John! That’s important) got many of their stories from Mark. But Matthew and Luke are much longer than Mark, and that’s because they got a good bit of material from sources other than Mark. It is widely known that Matthew and Luke shared a source for many of their sayings of Jesus (e.g., the Lord’s Prayer, the Beatitudes, many of their parables and isolated sayings). Scholars call this source Q (from the German word Quelle, which means “source”). Q and Mark were completely independent of one another.

Moreover, Matthew has a number of stories/sayings not found in any of the other Gospels. Scholars refer to his sources of information for this material (on the assumption, that has good reasons for it, that Matthew was not simply inventing these stories himself) as M (Matthew’s special source or sources). Luke too has material found in no other Gospel. Scholars refer to his sources as L (Luke’s special sources).

In addition, there is no hard evidence (for example, the kinds of word-for-word agreements you get between Matthew, Mark, and Luke) that John depended on the other three for any of its stories. That means that John had his own sources. Scholars who have studied John for a living have argued that John had several sources of information available to him: a collection of Jesus’ miracles (the “signs source”); two or more accounts of Jesus’ discourses; and a passion narrative. If this view is right, then John is dependent on at least four earlier accounts from which he has borrowed.

Just in terms of probably (almost certainly) *written* sources, then, within a generation of Jesus’ life we have Mark, Q, M, L, and four sources for John. That’s eight written sources of information about Jesus. Within forty of fifty years of his life. Luke begins his own Gospel by pointing out that “many” had written accounts of Jesus before him (he is explaining why he wants to add yet another written account to the collection). Based on an analysis of the Gospels themselves, he appears to be completely right about that.

The information in the Gospels about Jesus is not from a single source. It’s from at least eight (probably more, since there is no reason to think M and L were only a single source each). Eight that did not depend on each other or even know each other.

Moreover, there are very solid reasons for thinking that these sources all go back to oral traditions that had been in circulation for decades before being written down. That is the subject of my book Jesus Before the Gospels, if you want to read a fuller account of these traditions (and even if you don’t).

The result – even without taking oral traditions into account – is that we have different people in different parts of the world with different backgrounds and different perspectives and different views and different theologies all – independently — telling stories about the man Jesus. How is that likely if the man never existed? If these sources are independent of one another, how did they all manage to tell such stories about Jesus – in many instances, very similar stories (for example, that he came from Nazareth ,that he was baptized, that he had brothers, that he had twelve disciples, that he talked about the kingdom of God, that he told parables, that he used agricultural imagery in his teaching, that he was crucified by Pontius Pilate, and on and on)?

If all we had was a single source, you could say he made it up. But we have way more than that. And there are even more important considerations, which I will start getting to in my next post.
PseudoPaul
Star B

Post by PseudoPaul »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:26 pm
PseudoPaul wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:48 pm

.... The vast majority of New Testament scholars agree that there is a historical person behind the Jesus in the gospels, although the self-identity and history of that person is very different from what the evangelists portray.

Mythicists are just a few cranks on the fringes of academia who have yet to deal effectively with the historical evidence for Jesus of Nazareth. It's flat earther conspiracy theory nonsense.
PseudoPaul, perhaps this discussion could be helped by a closer look at what you mean by a very different person than what evangelists portray. What would be the reason for difference and similarity? There would be important similarities in order to call someone the historical Jesus. After all it would be silly to simply say there was some fellow named Jesus who did not preach,cause a stir, and get into trouble but is the basis for the person portrayed in the gospels.
So when you strip off the ex-post facto mythology built up around Jesus by generations of his followers you get the following picture:
  • Obscure rural Galilean apocalyptic preacher
  • A disciple of John the Baptist
  • Started his own following after John the Baptist's death
  • Had a reputation as a faith healer
  • Was known for short, memorable aphorisms and parables that tried to overturn the social order
  • Preached against things like wealth, divorce and remarriage
  • Had a small following
  • Did not think he was the divine son of god
  • Went to Jerusalem during passover, caused a ruckus at the temple
  • Was crucified by Pilate for sedition
  • Later his followers had some kind of vision that convinced them he was resurrected
  • From this followed the mythology about Jesus that lead to the formation of Christianity
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Manetho wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:01 pm

This approach has major problems, which have already been discussed.
yeah...don't really want to rehash that after taking a skim.

The deities and mythic heroes originated at some point in the prehistory or protohistory of Greece and Rome, when those cultures were not even fully literate yet. The Hellenistic Period and the early Roman Empire had highly literate upper classes, had a long tradition of writing history and biography, and are probably the best-documented periods in all of ancient history. They are fundamentally different eras.

Historians of the ancient world have to understand how ancient cultures understood the world, how they remembered their past, and how they viewed particular concepts relevant to the topic at hand (in this case, divinity). In a preliterate society, those things will be profoundly different from a culture with well-established literacy and a very busy scribal tradition, which will be different again from an Enlightenment-era society with printing presses and widespread literacy, which will be different again from a society with ubiquitous audio and video recording technology. If you can't take those massive cultural differences into account when trying to assess historical plausibility, why even bother?
I'm not following this point. I've already made the point in this thread education at the time of these writings was largely and heavily reliant on greek and roman myths. Everyone was familiar with Homer, even the illiterate, for instance. That is precisely why we find all the themes, stories and quotations in Mark that are similarities to these more ancient myths.

If you are saying the older myths held no place in that era, I think you'd be greatly mistaken. If you are simply saying there are some differences between say 8th century BCE and 1 century ce in terms of education and literacy. Great. but if you think that's a point in favor of Jesus' historicity I need to understand that. Grouping Jesus with Apollonius simply because you want Jesus to be a historic person like Apollonius isn't evidence for Jesus. That's just saying "I want Jesus to be considered a historic person because..."

Not sufficient for you. But you have a habit of dismissing each individual piece of evidence as insufficient, and then ignoring how they all stack up when taken together.
It'd be dismissive and dishonest to suggest it's a habit. I have reasons. And you might not like them, but I think they are fair, even if you disagree for whatever reason.
Paul refers to Jesus as a fleshly descendant of David

Paul makes a rather vague sounding allusion to Jesus being made from the seed of David--a person who lived perhaps 1,000 years before Jesus. Its silly to say anyone in that era could accurately suggest someone came from the lineage of David directly. I think, anyway. We can't, with all of our tools and resources do much beyond a few hundred years ago in terms of tracing our lines. I consider the claim a bit ambiguous on the question. Not because it suggests Jesus came from David, but because there has been disagreement about the term used here--many take it to suggest Jesus was made from seed from David, not born in some natural sense. Magic is accepted in these texts--that is God could have magically had David's seed ready to make Jesus. It's kind of a stupid sounding idea (but what isn't on Christian thought), I think, but it also renders the claim by Paul here, ambiguous. and as such not good evidence for historicity. Its an ambiguous reference not detailing what Paul meant.
born of a woman,

Paul includes this as part of an allegory ("Which things are an allegory:"), rendering this too ambiguous and thus not good evidence for historicity.
and refers to one man as Jesus' brother.

Again ambiguous since "brother" was a term used in a fictive kinship sense amongst fellow believers. Paul's not explicitly saying they had the same parents.
Josephus records the execution of a man by the same name, "the brother of Jesus who was called messiah".
Which in context I think sounds silly. It doesn't make a lot of sense, so it's quite possible the words called Christ were added later by Christian handlers.
The gospel of Mark describes Jesus with a relatively "low" Christology (unlike the letters of Paul), incorporating puns that only work in Aramaic, and incorporating historical details from the Judea of 40 years earlier, suggesting that the gospel derives from sources from Judea in that timeframe.
This I consider a stretch. And in the OP here I've addressed it, to some extent. The gospel of mark comes off as a writing of a Hellenized Jew who wished to romanticize Jerusalem from afar. That's Miller's take on it.
And there is no evidence, aside from the questionable mythicist interpretation of Paul, to indicate that a belief in a purely mythical Jesus actually existed in the ancient world.
This may sound convincing to someone, but I don't see how or why.
It is possible to construct alternate explanations for each of these points, but most of those explanations are independent of each other, whereas they are all easily explained if the beliefs surrounding Jesus derived from a real person. Occam's razor cuts in favor of historicity.
Disagree. Paul didn't know Jesus. Even if we read his 3 references as unambiguous claims that Jesus really lived, which is a terrible stretch itself, then we have Paul saying others told him Jesus used to live, but we also have Paul saying no one told him about Jesus in other ways. That means even if Paul meant as you would have it, he simply could be wrong or misled. We wouldn't know. Thus, dogmatic historicity is a problem. There's no Occam's Razor favoring historicity when considering the context.

But I imagine we went through all of this before and if you aren't changed your view, I doubt the discussion will change.
Last edited by dastardly stem on Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

PseudoPaul wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:51 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:26 pm

PseudoPaul, perhaps this discussion could be helped by a closer look at what you mean by a very different person than what evangelists portray. What would be the reason for difference and similarity? There would be important similarities in order to call someone the historical Jesus. After all it would be silly to simply say there was some fellow named Jesus who did not preach,cause a stir, and get into trouble but is the basis for the person portrayed in the gospels.
So when you strip off the ex-post facto mythology built up around Jesus by generations of his followers you get the following picture:
  • Obscure rural Galilean apocalyptic preacher
  • A disciple of John the Baptist
  • Started his own following after John the Baptist's death
  • Had a reputation as a faith healer
  • Was known for short, memorable aphorisms and parables that tried to overturn the social order
  • Preached against things like wealth, divorce and remarriage
  • Had a small following
  • Did not think he was the divine son of god
  • Went to Jerusalem during passover, caused a ruckus at the temple
  • Was crucified by Pilate for sedition
  • Later his followers had some kind of vision that convinced them he was resurrected
  • From this followed the mythology about Jesus that lead to the formation of Christianity
Nothing in this list is something crazy. I wish the mythesists would focus on this list instead of the list of supernatural things about Jesus. We all agree that Jesus was a myth.