Reviving the Board

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: Reviving the Board

Post by Marcus »

malkie wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:14 am
AM came here straight from being banned from there. If he posted there like he does here, Binger would be banned in about a minute. Fernando’s first post here would likely get him banned over there if he made it about their board. Either Binger or AM bragged in an early post about being thrown off other boards, so it’s possible that whichever it was doesn’t really play well with others.
Ahhh - thanks.

Looks like I'm either not good at connecting the dots, or failing to recall their history.
Speaking of history, If I recall correctly ceeboo has also mentioned that he had been banned from a board or two before settling on this lovely park.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I think the majority of the original posters here had been banned from the old MAD board, which Dr. Scratch will always point out was appropriately named.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

I find it very typical and hilarious that the far right trolls who post here seem to be asking that their absurd and illogical beliefs be protected from criticism. Why it's almost like they don't actually believe in free speech, but instead want preferential treatment.

They don't have the intellect or knowledge to defend their beliefs so they troll and whine instead.
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:42 am
I think the majority of the original posters here had been banned from the old MAD board, which Dr. Scratch will always point out was appropriately named.
Some of us were banned when we weren't even posting there.

I've seen some insane things at conservative religious message boards, and I've even seen prog groups get Machiavellian with their moderation, but MADB (the original acronym was indeed appropriate) is the only forum I have ever seen ban members who weren't posting there or active at the time. Most message boards / groups with bad moderation will at least wait until they can make some flimsy accusation that you broke the rules.

Gadianton, I don't have a lot of time to reply today, but I enjoyed reading your thoughts.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Sophocles
Nursery

Post by Sophocles »

MsJack wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:34 am
The board failed because the LDS apologists were caught in an enormous lie and decided they needed the safe spaces of extremely biased moderation in their favor. It was the LDS apologists who abandoned the forum, not the critics.
I was active on ZLMB but my memory fails—what was the enormous lie that caused the apologists to flee?
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Sophocles wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:35 pm
MsJack wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:34 am
The board failed because the LDS apologists were caught in an enormous lie and decided they needed the safe spaces of extremely biased moderation in their favor. It was the LDS apologists who abandoned the forum, not the critics.
I was active on ZLMB but my memory fails—what was the enormous lie that caused the apologists to flee?
I believe it was a claim for a second Watson letter regarding the location of the hill Cumorah. I think tolerance
had worn very thin before this dreary little subject became the hill to fight to the death on.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Sophocles,

Please see Dr. Scratch's Phd dissertation:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102456
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:23 pm
Sophocles wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:35 pm
I believe it was a claim for a second Watson letter regarding the location of the hill Cumorah. I think tolerance
had worn very thin before this dreary little subject became the hill to fight to the death on.
In my mind, the second Watson letter is the best evidence we have that DCP will defend anything even if it’s completely indefensible. If he had simply apologized and admitted he misremembered, it would be a different story. But it shows that he is simply not engaging in good faith apologetics anymore, if he ever did.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:14 am
malkie wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:14 am
Ahhh - thanks.

Looks like I'm either not good at connecting the dots, or failing to recall their history.
Speaking of history, If I recall correctly ceeboo has also mentioned that he had been banned from a board or two before settling on this lovely park.
I have indeed. Two Mormon related board bans before I found this board.

The reason I haven't been banned here, in part, is because I am deeply loved and admired by this board's creator.
Sophocles
Nursery

Post by Sophocles »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:38 pm
Sophocles,

Please see Dr. Scratch's Phd dissertation:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102456
Ah yes. Thanks, Dean.