The Rosebud MEGATHREAD

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: It’s really easy if you stick with telling the truth

Post by Marcus »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:13 pm
Rosebud’s allegations in my opinion are the proof that she needs serious mental health help. She needs a therapist to work through this. We can dismiss her allegations because they obviously are coming from a mental health crisis, and we can keep recommending that she get the help she needs.
Excellent points. This latest round was pretty shocking, with its massive escalation into conspiracy theory territory. I thought maybe she was at least partially dealing with the situation, but now it is clear she is not.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:24 pm
drumdude wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:13 pm
Rosebud’s allegations in my opinion are the proof that she needs serious mental health help. She needs a therapist to work through this. We can dismiss her allegations because they obviously are coming from a mental health crisis, and we can keep recommending that she get the help she needs.
Excellent points. This latest round was pretty shocking, with its massive escalation into conspiracy theory territory. I thought maybe she was at least partially dealing with the situation, but now it is clear she is not.
I think she escalates because her love interest isn't paying attention, and he shouldn't.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Having done my level best to understand the child abuse Rosebud is referring to, I think it's the claims of organized, ritualistic child abuse allegedly embedded in, or covered up by, the organization of the LDS church. We've discussed such claims, sometimes in great detail, from time to time here. And lots of folks here have expressed their opinions as to what is true or false about those claims.

Given that Mormon Stories has publicized cases like Adam Steed's and the harm caused by Jodi Hildebrandt, accusing him of covering up child abuse seems odd. But he may very well have stated his opinion that some claims of organized, ritualistic child abuse embedded in Mormonism are not true. in my opinion, Rosebud has transformed that into calling those who make such claims "crazy" (I don't trust for a second any characterization of Dehlin that comes from Rosebud) and "covering up" abuse that she apparently claims actually occurred. Rosebud won't give any specifics because the actual facts underlying her claim. Having control over the facts gives her power -- giving us the facts would give us the power to make up our own minds.

I think the combination of the gravity of the claims combined with the refusal to provide facts likely generates a feeling of discomfort for all of us. In a way, it functions like gaslighting. Maybe whatever our opinions are of Dehlin and the Open Stories Foundation are wildly wrong and Dehlin is Satan incarnate and the Open Stories Foundation is deceiving us. That's what gaslighting does -- causes folks to distrust their judgment.

In my official capacity, I wonder whether this perfectly normal and understandable feeling of discomfort provides a principled reason for censoring posts that we can apply with consistency. My general bias is toward letting people say what's on their minds. I also have a professionally-derived bias against making new rules to address a specific set of bad facts: lawyers say "bad facts make bad law." All of you who are chiming in are very helpful to me in thinking through the ramifications of action or inaction by us as moderators in this case. Thank you.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:42 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:19 pm

Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act protects the board, it owner, the site host, etc. from liability. It does not protect the individual who posts defamatory material. Responding to discovery requests would be a hassle, but that's about it. https://crsreports.congress.gov/product ... 20services.
People here post potentially actionable defamatory statements all the time. I don't lose any sleep over it.
Perhaps this is the answer? Let Rosebud do her worst (which won't amount to anything really). I don't think she has any proof of anything and she has a history of spouting off to gain the attention of her long lost lover. What a couple they would have made! And she would have had access to all that comfortable living! Anyway, if the board isn't in danger of anything other than having to comply with some subpoenas/discovery requests, then let her continue with her fake allegations. It's all BS anyway and people here can instantaneously detect it by asking the magic question of "where's the beef?"

As this issue has legal ramifications, I'd really appreciate input from the other lawyers on the board and anyone else who has followed this issue in terms of my reading of the law.
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Listen, if Rosebud were posting on a variety of topics, then NBD. It’s the one-note posters who spam the board occasionally like the few that have a megathread dedicated to them. If Rosebud were suddenly to start posting on whatever topic in whatever forum(s) then cool, she’s engaging with the intent of a ‘discussion’ board.

But, and this is key, she herself has stated she’s using this board to hang her thoughts on John Dehlin and John Dehlin-related topics only, and for “future historians.” That’s megathread worthy, in my opinion.

Any Rosebud posts not related to John Dehlin nonsense are perfectly fine and within the spirit of this board, and should be treated as normal posting by a normal poster.

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

I think the combination of the gravity of the claims combined with the refusal to provide facts likely generates a feeling of discomfort for all of us. In a way, it functions like gaslighting. Maybe whatever our opinions are of Dehlin and the Open Stories Foundation are wildly wrong and Dehlin is Satan incarnate and the Open Stories Foundation is deceiving us. That's what gaslighting does -- causes folks to distrust their judgment.
I disagree. The feeling of discomfort for me is NOT caused by doubting or distrusting my opinions, but rather that I doubt or distrust Rosebud's unsubstantiated statements of fact. Repeating those accusations without ever providing support makes me uncomfortable because it is a vehicle she uses to, repeatedly, unfairly and inappropriately try to damage the person she accuses.

I would prefer she provide facts to support her statements, or that she stop making unsupported accusations.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:26 pm
Listen, if Rosebud were posting on a variety of topics, then NBD. It’s the one-note posters who spam the board occasionally like the few that have a megathread dedicated to them. If Rosebud were suddenly to start posting on whatever topic in whatever forum(s) then cool, she’s engaging with the intent of a ‘discussion’ board.

But, and this is key, she herself has stated she’s using this board to hang her thoughts on John Dehlin and John Dehlin-related topics only, and for “future historians.” That’s megathread worthy, in my opinion.

Any Rosebud posts not related to John Dehlin nonsense are perfectly fine and within the spirit of this boardd, again, in my opinion.

- Doc
The megathread is coming. Shades is setting it up.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
I disagree. The feeling of discomfort for me is NOT caused by doubting or distrusting my opinions, but rather that I doubt or distrust Rosebud's unsubstantiated statements of fact. Repeating those accusations without ever providing support makes me uncomfortable because it is a vehicle she uses to, repeatedly, unfairly and inappropriately try to damage the person she accuses.

I would prefer she provide facts to support her statements, or that she stop making unsupported accusations.
Fair enough. In the black, your last sentence expresses my preference as well. Do you think that we need to change anything with respect to unsubstantiated allegations?
he/him

Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

But, and this is key, she herself has stated she’s using this board to hang her thoughts on John Dehlin and John Dehlin-related topics only, and for “future historians.” That’s megathread worthy, in my opinion...
Yes it is. What nails that home is the escalation her threads are showing. We are now at the level that the thoroughly debunked utah chapter of the Satanic Panic has been revived by Rosebud, and (according to her) John Dehlin has an integral part in the coverup. Because he is evil. Of course.

When Rosebud hates/loves someone, they become her entire universe, apparently. Fully populated by conspiracies and pointed blame, all laid out on what she describes as our tiny, end-of-the-internet, backwards Discussion Board! What an honor we have had bestowed upon us. :roll:
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Re: Can we get a Rosebud mega thread like we did for Doubting Thomas?

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:33 am
Marcus wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:02 pm

You can? Could you explain it to me? What is rosebud referring to in this most recent thread?

What is Rosebud talking about????
I was speaking only in a general way. There are a number of specific things she states of which I have no knowledge of what she is speaking of.I was thinking of a comparison with Highspy, well the difference is only relative. I have garnered a few clues about his secretive mission.
I like high spy. Sometimes I grasp things that actually make sense. Reminds me of me grandad very slightly. I suspect high spy is more "normal" than my grandad was, but I sense an intelligence that might be underestimated . My grandad was ridiculously intelligent (I was told he had an IQ over 220, I'm not sure how true that is or if it's possible or even what that means) but he was also a bit different. He had indeed been in mental institutions though. He liked to share stories of how he trashed the place and threw the full contents of the room through the window and the countless times he ended up in a padded cell being drugged up. I am told he used to own a lot of property. He owned a row of houses, a terrace. And he let people squat next door (he was very well known for giving everything he had away. He'd have given his shoes he was wearing away if he felt so inspired to do so and I would not be surprised if he has done). Anyway my mum used to play with the squatter kids and one day she said she was going to play with them and he said she wasn't going out in the rain and he knocked a hole in the wall so she could go play with them. Lol

Edit. Autocorrect