It's Deja Vu all over again

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

It's Deja Vu all over again

Post by Res Ipsa »

Small town, big temple, angry folks.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... eight.html
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: It's Deja Vu all over again

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

From the article, "In Lone Mountain, homes are required to stand no higher than two stories. The 216-foot temple would dwarf all buildings in the area. In order to illustrate just how much taller the temple would be, some residents floated a balloon 216 feet high in the air on Saturday"

The Church will sue the city, as usual. Is it any wonder that Mormonism is one of the most disliked religions in the world?

Last edited by Everybody Wang Chung on Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

The church of Jesus Christ of dick measuring contests. Our steeple will be the tallest for miles!
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

This is about an hour away (rush hour), or 30-40 minutes good traffic, from the existing Las Vegas Temple, which is only operating at half capacity.

ETA: Holy smokes, I just noticed the proposed size. This will be even bigger than the underutilized Las Vegas Temple, which is itself a massive landmark.
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

But rules shouldn't apply to Mormons, right? That's the Brethren's demonstrated view of the Free Exercise clause.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

According to Wikipedia, the SLC Temple is 222 feet tall (from the base to the top of Angel Moroni's head). So, to give you an idea how tall the Church wants this temple to be, it would be 6 feet shorter. If you cut the Angel Moroni in half, that's how tall this new temple will be at its highest point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake_Temple
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Bond
CTR A

Post by Bond »

The LDS Church out there winning hearts and minds again.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Mormons are now claiming that steeple height is an essential part of their religion, just like the avoidance of taxes. Mormon News Roundup did an excellent program on this new steeple claim. The Church is having members write to the planning commission to tell them exactly that. The battle is just getting underway in McKinley, Texas. Perhaps someone would like to Google that temple contention.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

For many years in SLC, no building could be taller than the Temple. The first building to exceed this height was the Church Office building.

With the help of Sen. Orrin Hatch, there are now federal rules to allow religions to completely ignore local zoning and build whatever they want. It might be called the Mormon Annoyance Act.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:59 am
With the help of Sen. Orrin Hatch, there are now federal rules to allow religions to completely ignore local zoning and build whatever they want.
Is that really true, or is this yet another thing you're making up?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024