Face of a 75,000-year-old Neanderthal woman revealed by scientists

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Re: Face of a 75,000-year-old Neanderthal woman revealed by scientists

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

sock puppet wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 9:44 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 10:47 pm
Huh?

How can a day be defined as a day before the mechanism that we have defined as a day have even existed?

Tongue twister lol.

God didn't create the planet earth in the first day. A day on earth is different to days on other planets in our solar system. So when God created in his days, the time cannot be compared to our experience of days. Also, what is the translation? Is it actually days as we understand it or periods of time?
So God the Omniscient did not understand the basics of writing and speaking--know thy audience and communicate in terms that they understand? The audience? The inhabitants of earth. To earth inhabitants, a "day" is one revolution of the earth. If God is so dense or self-centered as not to speak to earthlings in terms that they understand, then perhaps everything attributed to God in the Bible (and Book of Mormon, etc) has to be discarded with a grain of salt. It doesn't mean what earthlings would understand those words to mean, so all of it must be dismissed as undecipherable gibberish. This apologetic--how do we know what a "day" meant to God--just relegates that apologist's God to the heap of stupidity. Perhaps the apologists need a do over on this one.
Your reaction is quite strong. You believe God took seven earth days to create well the creation? Yes. I agree, God would be smart enough to know what a human day was. But is Genesis in the Bible written as God actually speaking to someone and saying, I did this? Also, we already know that translations can alter meanings.
sock puppet
1st Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 10:01 pm
sock puppet wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 9:44 pm
So God the Omniscient did not understand the basics of writing and speaking--know thy audience and communicate in terms that they understand? The audience? The inhabitants of earth. To earth inhabitants, a "day" is one revolution of the earth. If God is so dense or self-centered as not to speak to earthlings in terms that they understand, then perhaps everything attributed to God in the Bible (and Book of Mormon, etc) has to be discarded with a grain of salt. It doesn't mean what earthlings would understand those words to mean, so all of it must be dismissed as undecipherable gibberish. This apologetic--how do we know what a "day" meant to God--just relegates that apologist's God to the heap of stupidity. Perhaps the apologists need a do over on this one.
Your reaction is quite strong. You believe God took seven earth days to create well the creation? Yes. I agree, God would be smart enough to know what a human day was. But is Genesis in the Bible written as God actually speaking to someone and saying, I did this? Also, we already know that translations can alter meanings.
Did Joseph Smith when correcting the Bible set the mistranslations straight??? Inquiring minds want to know.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Imwashingmypirate
God

sock puppet wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 10:03 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Did Joseph Smith when correcting the Bible set the mistranslations straight??? Inquiring minds want to know.
Joseph smith was a nitwit. You are a bit intense. I'm not trying to push your buttons. I am only discussing my opinion. God may have created everything the way you think. I do not know the facts. I am only expressing another possibility. I believe (but don't know) that a day to God is not a literal earth day. God is said to be omnipotent, time to God will have a whole different set of rules. Time to use can't be seen, only felt based on the rules we have assigned to what it means. But like we can see and manipulate lower dimensions, beings in dimensions higher than the dimension in which time is manifested, may well be able to see and manipulate time. But again, just an idea. I am not coming in here saying I know everything and I am right. I'm expressing ideas and I admit, I am probably wrong.

I do think though, with more assurity than the rest of what I said, that Joseph smith would no more be able to translate the Bible than I could.
Imwashingmypirate
God

sock puppet wrote:
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
taken from wiki link below wrote:They admit that yom can mean a twenty-four hour solar day, but argue that it can refer to an indefinitely long period of time. In their view, it is in this sense that the word is employed in Genesis 2:4, with a "day" of God's total creation taking place in the course of "days" of creation.[7]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day-age ... 0creation.
from wiki link below wrote:Although yom is commonly rendered as day in English translations, the word yom can be used in different ways to refer to different time spans:

Point of time (a specific day)
time period of a whole or half a day:
Period of light (as contrasted with the period of darkness),
Sunrise to sunset
Sunset to next sunset
General term for time ( as in 'days of our lives')
A year "lived a lot of days"
Time period of unspecified length.
Biblical Hebrew has a limited vocabulary, with fewer words compared to other languages, such as English or Spanish.[1][a] This means words often have multiple meanings determined by context.[9] Strong's Lexicon yom is Hebrew #3117 יוֹם [10] The word Yom's root meaning is to be hot as the warm hours of a day.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yom#:~: ... o%20sunset
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

The creation story in the Finnish Kalevala is much more creative and has a fun rhyming meter.

In primeval times, a maiden,
Beauteous Daughter of the Ether,
Passed for ages her existence
In the great expanse of heaven,
O'er the prairies yet enfolded.
Wearisome the maiden growing,
Her existence sad and hopeless,
Thus alone to live for ages
In the infinite expanses
Of the air above the sea-foam.
In the far outstretching spaces,
In a solitude of ether.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Imwashingmypirate
God

Moksha wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 8:02 am
The creation story in the Finnish Kalevala is much more creative and has a fun rhyming meter.

In primeval times, a maiden,
Beauteous Daughter of the Ether,
Passed for ages her existence
In the great expanse of heaven,
O'er the prairies yet enfolded.
Wearisome the maiden growing,
Her existence sad and hopeless,
Thus alone to live for ages
In the infinite expanses
Of the air above the sea-foam.
In the far outstretching spaces,
In a solitude of ether.
Aww :( is there more?
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 7:10 am
sock puppet wrote:
Joseph smith was a nitwit. You are a bit intense. I'm not trying to push your buttons. I am only discussing my opinion. God may have created everything the way you think. I do not know the facts. I am only expressing another possibility. I believe (but don't know) that a day to God is not a literal earth day. God is said to be omnipotent, time to God will have a whole different set of rules. Time to use can't be seen, only felt based on the rules we have assigned to what it means. But like we can see and manipulate lower dimensions, beings in dimensions higher than the dimension in which time is manifested, may well be able to see and manipulate time. But again, just an idea. I am not coming in here saying I know everything and I am right. I'm expressing ideas and I admit, I am probably wrong.

I do think though, with more assurity than the rest of what I said, that Joseph smith would no more be able to translate the Bible than I could.

⚔️ (Circles are special, especially the purple ones.)
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 8:22 am
Aww :( is there more?
Much more courtesy of The Project Gutenberg:

https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/51 ... mages.html
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Also, we already know that translations can alter meanings.
Excellent point. God could have been saying "Tapirs of unusual size" and it may have been translated as horses. Same way with steel and chariots, let alone mistaking spacecraft that could land on the Delmarva Peninsula as ocean-going ships.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Moksha wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 9:39 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Also, we already know that translations can alter meanings.
Excellent point. God could have been saying "Tapirs of unusual size" and it may have been translated as horses. Same way with steel and chariots, let alone mistaking spacecraft that could land on the Delmarva Peninsula as ocean-going ships.
Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. So I have no response.