What is Gravity?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: What is Gravity?

Post by Res Ipsa »

Valo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:25 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:07 pm
Explore it by reading some basic science books instead of making stuff up.
Is that what you did?
Yes. I didn’t consult randos and crackpots on you tube or elsewhere on the internet. I read books by people who have experience and knowledge in the relevant fields. I still do.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:33 pm
Valo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:25 pm
Is that what you did?
Yes. I didn’t consult randos and crackpots on you tube or elsewhere on the internet. I read books by people who have experience and knowledge in the relevant fields. I still do.
Nice. Have you done any original research on the topic?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Valo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:45 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:33 pm
LOL! What are you defining as original research? Are you blowing air into a balloon filled with anti-air?
he/him

Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

If you want to know what gravity is, you need to learn about General Relativity. Gravity is the geometry of spacetime.

What we mostly think of as gravity is actually a very slight difference in how fast time flows in different places. It flows very slightly slower the closer you are to a heavier mass. If one identical twin were to live on Mercury while the other stayed on Earth, after fifty years the twin on Mercury would be about one second younger. That tiny difference in time flow is what keeps the planets orbiting the sun instead of flying off into interstellar space.

You actually can understand some aspects of gravity—in particular, how it affects the propagation of light—by using an analogy with the propagation of sound waves through a flowing fluid. I actually have done some original research about this. One of my papers (together with some great co-authors) on the topic is still occasionally cited after more than twenty years. The analogy is better than one might think: it is mathematically exact in the sense that you can have the same wave equation in both cases. The fluid analogy does not by any means cover all important features of gravity, though. And it is just an analogy. There is not really an aether.

I'm afraid that the biggest problem with amateur physics theories like this thing about annihilating aether is not even that they are wrong. It's that these theories are formed under the misconception that providing a nice mental picture for something is an important achievement.

Thinking that mental images are scientific insights is like thinking that rocket science is about doodling little pointy shapes with fire coming out the back. You might well use such a doodle to try to convey what a rocket is, to someone who has no idea, but actual rockets are not little sketches. In the same way, popular science explanations of General Relativity often tell you that space is stretchy like pizza dough, or something like that. That's not a bad crude indication of what the theory is about, kind of at the level of the rocket doodle, but it is not the theory itself, any more than the sketch is a rocket. If you want to know what General Relativity actually is, you have to learn to understand Einstein's equation for the metric tensor of spacetime. That's the actual rocket.

If all you have is a mental picture of aether flowing around, what you have is a doodle. You are not competing in the rocket industry.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

I was taught that an experiment was done that proved the ether didn't exist. I like to think that an ether in space would make sense. But I actually believe that space is the expansion of em wave energy. Space is expanding as the waves expand. The same waves we are living in is the same waves that existed at the beginning. So at one time, the universe would have stretched through the visible light spectrum and if observers existed we would have been able to see the colours.

I think gravity in space time and gravity on earth are two different things. that's my opinion.

I think gravity on earth is related to the magnetic field. Can't explain. Think I'm not gonna hang around much tonight. I feel so tired. Have been drifting off to sleep the past few days.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:07 pm
I was taught that an experiment was done that proved the ether didn't exist.
Indeed, the famous Michelson–Morley experiment was strong evidence against the theory.
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 8:08 pm
Valo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:45 pm
LOL! What are you defining as original research? Are you blowing air into a balloon filled with anti-air?
Simple: Yes or no

:D
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:07 pm
Valo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 6:36 pm
Imagine a balloon that requires pressure to be inflated but any time you force "air" in to the balloon that air gets annihilated because inside the balloon is "antiair" and so you have to continuously pump air in to the balloon to keep it inflated. As the air collides with anti-air, it creates a resistance, gravity, and all the forces, etc.

This is my understanding of this idea and I am exploring it so I am not claiming knowledge. I don't know if it's right, but, scientist don't really know aether( :D )!
Explore it by reading some basic science books instead of making stuff up.
Or even just take the 8 week course in scuba diving at your local Y. They will quickly disabuse you of the notion that air forced into a balloon is "annihiliated" by "antiair." Plus, you'll have fun!!

(I would suggest, however, keeping the antiair annihilation idea to yourself if you want to get certified in diving. Loony tunes and PADI courses don't mix.)
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Valo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:44 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 8:08 pm

Nope. It's not a simple question. It's a loaded question. If it weren't, you wouldn't again balk at clarifying terms. Have you done original research on the topic "what is gravity?" If so, what research have you done?
he/him

Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:57 pm
Valo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:44 pm

Nope. It's not a simple question. It's a loaded question. If it weren't, you wouldn't again balk at clarifying terms. Have you done original research on the topic "what is gravity?" If so, what research have you done?
Regardless of the type or level, have you ever done any kind of independent research or observations about gravity, at all, ever? Like it's you doing the research, you observe something, you write it down, etc.?