Trump's Religion vs Obama's Religion

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
bill4long
Bishop

Trump's Religion vs Obama's Religion

Post by bill4long »

Trump's Followers are Cultists, but Obama's Followers Were Not Cultists Because __________________

The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
drumdude
God

Re: Trump's Religion vs Obama's Religion

Post by drumdude »

Because they didn’t try to overthrow the government in a violent coup?
bill4long
Bishop

Post by bill4long »

drumdude wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 2:43 am
Now, I'm no Trumpist. But I ask:

1. How many people were involved in the "violent coup"?
2. How many were armed with firearms?
3. The ones that were not armed with firearms (most of them were not), why didn't they bring their guns to the "violent coup"?
4. Were most Trump supporters in favor of this "violent coup?"
5. Are the Trump supporters - who were not in favor of the "violent coup" - cultists?
6. Can one be a Trump supporter and not be a cultist?
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

bill4long wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 2:47 am
drumdude wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 2:43 am
Now, I'm no Trumpist. But I ask:

1. How many people were involved in the "violent coup"?
2. How many were armed with firearms?
3. The ones that were not armed with firearms (most of them were not), why didn't they bring their guns to the "violent coup"?
4. Were most Trump supporters in favor of this "violent coup?"
5. Are the Trump supporters - who were not in favor of the "violent coup" - cultists?
6. Can one be a Trump supporter and not be a cultist?
It was mostly a joke. I’m sure there are some Obama supporters who weren’t in that photograph as well and had issues with his expanding the war on terror and use of drones to kill people in other countries.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

bill4long wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 1:33 am
Trump's Followers are Cultists, but Obama's Followers Were Not Cultists Because __________________
No monster trucks, scaffolds, buffalo horns, Moroni costumes, or MAGA paraphernalia.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

While it's a nice pejorative and definitely earned as an insult in many cases, Trump supporters are not technically cultists, at least in my mind.

A cult requires not only an information silo, but isolation and dependency on the leader.

I've theorized that cults could exist outside of a compound-like setting, for instance, in an analogy, a spy is similar to a cultist, if not a cultist. The most effective spies can know nothing but their native culture from a young age. They must be completely brainwashed by nationalist dogma. With formal arrangements and protocols governing their activities, they can be "cultists" and live in deep cover abroad.

According to Peter Zeihan, Obama was a cult of personality. Zeihan has argued there are similarities between Obama and Trump - populism and arrogance. Zeihan clearly seems to think Biden is a better president than Obama was. There was definitely a lot of nothing going on with the "change" slogan.

However, there is nothing like the conspiracy culture among Obama supporters that there has been among Trump supporters that I've seen. I've not seen anything like the childish temper tantrums of die-hard Trumpers. But I can't really say it's a cult, because there just isn't the requisite top-down coercion. It's like a really bad fad or self-destructive LARPing.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I thought to remind Bill that every presidential candidate speaks to large crowds of enthusiastic supporters. It is pretty basic to the process.The photo of Obama shows he was in a political campaign.

Beyond that read Gadiantons comments. He is observant and find interesting thoughts.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

bill4long wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 1:33 am

[...]
Indeed. I remember when they made a golden statue of Obama, and Democrats were buying Obama bibles, and Obama shoes, and Obama NFTs, and wearing Obama schwag everywhere they went, getting their vehicles custom wrapped with Obama graphics, holding Obama parades, Democrat politicians making their sole platform how much they support Obama, even going so far as to appoint an Obama relative to head the DNC. Then there was where if you didn't support Obama, you were a DINO, and likely part of the Deep State. I mean, just look at how many Democrat careers were entirely ruined by criticizing Obama, and how many liberal organizations were bankrupted when they brought lawsuits against Obama. So many. So, so many.

Definitely entirely the same.
Morley
God
Location: Jan van Eyck, Portrait of a Man (Self Portrait), 1433

Post by Morley »

^ Best reply ever.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Well Trump has a special spiritual power to know who actually won elections. The power is much better than counting votes which sometimes gets it all wrong.

Some people believe religiously that Trump has this power. Others know it is a joke but are willing to go along with the joke.