Do modern apostles no longer get visits from The Savior?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Fence Sitter
1st Counselor

Re: Do modern apostles no longer get visits from The Savior?

Post by Fence Sitter »

Modern apostles and prophets get visits from the resurrected Savior at the same rate as past ones.
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

Do you ever get that anxious thoughts of what if Christ turned up at my door? Particularly when you are scruffing it and haven't tidied up lol
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

BeNotDeceived wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 7:36 pm
What fascinates me is how this 'church' has gone from 100+ years ago from 'I/we saw Christ, God himself, Moses, PJ & J', etc. and pronouncing that the Lord had spoken to them to 'we are special witnesses of Christ' and 'the Lord has impressed upon our minds'. Why were leaders of old so much more bold in making such proclamations and announcements? At least these guys nowadays aren't outright lying about it like they did back then in order to keep members believing it was all run by God and Christ (even though they are deceiving millions by continuing to promote a religion they know is not what it claims to be).
It's kind of a sad feeling. I don't understand why so much scripture, even in other religions describe physical experiences with deity and yet here we are with nothing. Or am I just blind to it?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 7:54 pm
Modern apostles and prophets get visits from the resurrected Savior at the same rate as past ones.
LOL touché.
Fence Sitter
1st Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 7:55 pm
Do you ever get that anxious thoughts of what if Christ turned up at my door? Particularly when you are scruffing it and haven't tidied up lol
I think my first thought would be to question my own sanity, then if I could convince myself it was actually Him, my next would be to ask Him why he was spending time at my door when so many other things in the world needed His attention more?
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 8:28 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 7:55 pm
I think my first thought would be to question my own sanity, then if I could convince myself it was actually Him, my next would be to ask Him why he was spending time at my door when so many other things in the world needed His attention more?
Yes... My reaction would be the same lol. But then I'd have the what if I assumed he wasn't Christ when he was and I was one of the people unable to recognise him.
Fence Sitter
1st Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 9:35 pm
Fence Sitter wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 8:28 pm
Yes... My reaction would be the same lol. But then I'd have the what if I assumed he wasn't Christ when he was and I was one of the people unable to recognise him.
A sufficiently advanced being would be indistinguishable to us from a deity, and, in fact, could make us believe or act in anyway it chooses. It's weird how people have an easier time talking about the possibility of God appearing to them than they do an alien. If i were to tell a story about how God miraculously cured me of some disease, no one would see it as strange but if I were to claim an alien cured me, people would think I was crazy.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 3:59 pm
Rivendale wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 2:44 pm
Miracle claims substantially reduced when cell phones became commonplace in the world. Carl Sagan's baloney detector seems to have had influence for many people especially the youth. Things are now too sacred to talk about. You can see it in full color when Russell Nelson demonstrated Joseph Smith’s rock in the hat method of translating the Book of Mormon. He couldn't follow through with it. I think he knows how ridiculous it looks.
Yeah but it's not the ridiculousness of it that matters. The fact that Nelson cannot and will not also use the priesthood power to have the stone help him restore more ancient truths is far more telling to me. The power is no longer there, if it was every something other than Joseph's imagination and faking it in the first place.
Nelson can't fire up the stone because he would look like a fool telling people about it. Joseph had people around him that were mesmerized by the most insignificant event in a daily routine that seemed out of the ordinary. They hide behind the excuse that fantastic events aren't needed anymore because we have spiritually matured. Code for we look weird let's keep it on the low down. As an example here is a quote from the LDS subreddit describing why Mormons are nice.
People hate us. And we’re trying to survive.

I don’t mean to dismiss the very real desire we have to be good Christians, but we are among the most hated religious groups in the country, being nice is a coping mechanism.
Turning on the stone would absolutely drive a stake through their public persona's heart.
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 10:17 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 9:35 pm
A sufficiently advanced being would be indistinguishable to us from a deity, and, in fact, could make us believe or act in anyway it chooses. It's weird how people have an easier time talking about the possibility of God appearing to them than they do an alien. If i were to tell a story about how God miraculously cured me of some disease, no one would see it as strange but if I were to claim an alien cured me, people would think I was crazy.
If a deity forced our brains to be convinced that would take away our "free will" and if we are to be tested about whether or not we would recognise Christ then surely forcing it would defeat the object.

I could believe in aliens. I just don't think there are any amongst us. Not where I live anyway.
Fence Sitter
1st Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 9:41 am
If a deity forced our brains to be convinced that would take away our "free will" and if we are to be tested about whether or not we would recognize Christ then surely forcing it would defeat the object.
I could believe in aliens. I just don't think there are any amongst us. Not where I live anyway.
My point isn't that I think there is some sort of unfair test out there. It's to point out the silly notion that we should be able to recognize Christ at all. Why? Based on some sort of warm feeling in our chest? No one who has claimed to have seen Him actually knows it's Him as opposed to some sort of super advanced being messing with us. But, for some reason, people just waive off the thought of an alien appearing to us as not believable but embrace the story that a 2000-year-old man coming back from the dead to visit as believable. It should be the other way around, in my opinion.