Fact Checking Nelson's "Doors Of Death" light aircraft near death experience

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Re: Fact Checking Nelson's "Doors Of Death" light aircraft near death experience

Post by Dr Moore »

kairos wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:27 pm
And Dr Moore - your honorary PHD in small aircraft operations and accident analysis has been approved by the Cassius University faculty and is awaiting DR Scratch’s signature- good work⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️!
Entirely too generous a nomination, kairos. If anyone should receive an honorary award, then our first-year PhD student, ko9s, deserves automatic dissertation approval for the groundbreaking research, despite at first drawing incorrect conclusions from the data.
azflyer
Nursery

Re: Fact Checking Nelson's "Doors Of Death" light aircraft near death experience

Post by azflyer »

Dr Moore wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:32 pm
Interesting. Depending on the precise location of the rough engine and failure determination, I can see where it may have been closer to Fillmore vs Delta. I guess it would have depended on other factors, if a close push distance-wise between the two airports?
Certainly. When making a precautionary/emergency landing, the pilot would need to take into account all kind of things. Distance to airport, wind direction/speed, and runway length / width are probably the most critical factors. As Dr. with has pointed out, landing a twin with one engine not operating off field is a recipe for disaster. If all of those factors are a wash, then you can start thinking about things like what kind of services are available at each airport and whether the location is "convenient". But the safe landing needs to take priority over the convenience factors.
DrW
Priest

Post by DrW »

azflyer wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:00 pm
Certainly. When making a precautionary/emergency landing, the pilot would need to take into account all kind of things. Distance to airport, wind direction/speed, and runway length / width are probably the most critical factors. As Dr. with has pointed out, landing a twin with one engine not operating off field is a recipe for disaster. If all of those factors are a wash, then you can start thinking about things like what kind of services are available at each airport and whether the location is "convenient". But the safe landing needs to take priority over the convenience factors.
Landing in a farmer's field is a recipe for disaster no matter what. Successful off-airport landings in light aircraft are most often made on paved roads or highways. As was noted earlier, with the landing gear extended, there is a high risk that the nose gear will dig in to soft soil and flip the aircraft.

Landing on soft soil or sand surfaces can be a problem even for tail draggers. Our pilot friend and his wife found this out in his Cessna 140, when the mains dug into soft sand on a beach in the San Juan Islands and flipped the plane. No one was hurt and the plane was eventually made airworthy again (little Cessna tail draggers don't land at high speeds). The way in which his wife described the events to my wife, however (perception again) led to some delay in her flight training.

Here is the image of a perfectly airworthy (both engines operating) Navajo Chieftain from upthread after a "successful" (no injuries) landing in a farm field. The crew decided not to take a chance on flipping the aircraft and opted for a gear-up belly landing. The aircraft was a total loss.

Last edited by DrW on Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous." (David Hume)
"Errors in science are learning opportunities and are corrected when better data become available." (DrW)
kairos
CTR B

Post by kairos »

Is there anyone on other boards trying to bail Nelson’ story out of the pit of fiction? If so what rationale is being used.
by the way did you hear that Nelson wants to recreate the near death flight on 11 Nov of 2021 so that he can thank God for the miracle recovery of the plane and its passengers. To make the flight authentic in Nelson’s mind , a pilot , a plane and an hysterical woman parts are being auditioned for in the theater department in the church office building.
If the actual flight cannot be replicated,a virtual reality application is being developed and will be made available to members of the church who can use it and sense as Nelson did the calmness of leading a virtuous life or experience the hysteria of a woman about to kiss the ground at 100mph.
Will keep you posted or may not!
k
DrW
Priest

Post by DrW »

Deleted. (Pretty sure Kairos is joking about the movie, but decided not to take the chance.)
Last edited by DrW on Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous." (David Hume)
"Errors in science are learning opportunities and are corrected when better data become available." (DrW)
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

kairos wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:25 am
Is there anyone on other boards trying to bail Nelson’ story out of the pit of fiction? If so what rationale is being used.
by the way did you hear that Nelson wants to recreate the near death flight on 11 Nov of 2021 so that he can thank God for the miracle recovery of the plane and its passengers. To make the flight authentic in Nelson’s mind , a pilot , a plane and an hysterical woman parts are being auditioned for in the theater department in the church office building.
If the actual flight cannot be replicated,a virtual reality application is being developed and will be made available to members of the church who can use it and sense as Nelson did the calmness of leading a virtuous life or experience the hysteria of a woman about to kiss the ground at 100mph.
Will keep you posted or may not!
k
Interpreter would be the ones to film this faith promoting wonderful and spirit filled proof of Nelson being Godly... :roll:
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Speaking of death spiral tropes, my wife and I are watching Star Trek Insurrection because it’s better than ESPN the Ocho. In the first act, Picard and Warf secure a shuttlecraft to Data’s runner causing Data to react poorly, and he ends up throwing both of them into a Death Spiral! And better yet, they manage to ‘restart the engines’ and pull out of it at the very last moment!

The only thing missing was Dr. Beverly Crusher screaming hysterically and JLP looking out the window calmly, secure in his knowledge that Q is real.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

kairos wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:25 am
I would like to suggest the title, Where Seagulls Dare.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:09 am
Speaking of death spiral tropes, my wife and I are watching Star Trek Insurrection because it’s better than ESPN the Ocho. In the first act, Picard and Warf secure a shuttlecraft to Data’s runner causing Data to react poorly, and he ends up throwing both of them into a Death Spiral! And better yet, they manage to ‘restart the engines’ and pull out of it at the very last moment!

The only thing missing was Dr. Beverly Crusher screaming hysterically and JLP looking out the window calmly, secure in his knowledge that Q is real.

- Doc
That strains credulity. Dr. Crusher would never scream. :lol: Wesley, maybe.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Dr. Cam wrote:Picard and Warf secure a shuttlecraft to Data’s runner causing Data to react poorly, and he ends up throwing both of them into a Death Spiral! And better yet, they manage to ‘restart the engines’ and pull out of it at the very last moment!
yep, this is one of those rare times where science is an interesting aside and it's all about literary constructs. Granted, in this case it isn't great literature. Whatever happened, is one thing; the story told is an amalgam of TV drama and throw-away paperback novels.