What do you think of Jana's "full tithing"?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
malkie
God

What do you think of Jana's "full tithing"?

Post by malkie »

https://religionnews.com/2020/12/23/why ... ds-church/
Jana Riess wrote: It’s rare to say that a news story changed your life or your course of behavior. But that’s what happened to me a year ago, when Religion Unplugged and the Washington Post broke the story that my church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, had amassed a nest egg in excess of $100 billion.
The short version of all this is that while I am still a full tithe-payer, I have not paid a dime of it to the Church in 2020.
At tithing settlement this year, I declared myself a full tithe-payer and explained why none of that money has gone to the Church. I don’t know what fallout there will be from this decision, if any. Frankly, it’s not important whether I continue to hold a temple recommend or not. What’s important to me is that at least a few kids who didn’t have food or access to education will have meals, school, and the basics. I should have done this a long time ago.
Well done and said, Jana!

When I told my Branch President, a couple of years ago, that I would not contribute financially in any way to the LDS church, he asked, a bit snarkily: "What do you do with the money, then?" (He apologised later)

I listed the causes that I had supported in the previous month, and told him that I felt good knowing my money was going to people who needed it, and not to a huge rich corporation.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: What do you think of Jana's "full tithing"?

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

My wife and I haven’t abandoned the principle of tithing in our lives, despite being both of us being raging simulationist-atheists and assholes. We’ve done FAR more good with our targeted donations than what it is people think they’re doing handing over their money to real estate grifters masquerading as a church.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Thing is, even without giving a penny to charity, every member is "fully paid" for tithing 2020, courtesy of the accretion of the Ensign Peak funds.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

This is a fantastic decision. I hope every single member follows suit. Loss of income is the only thing the Church listens to.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

The one thing that made me feel good about my non-tithing was that the money stayed in my little community, and that I could see even a small amount of money making a real difference to someone.

I mean, the two things that made me feel good were .... :lol:
Last edited by malkie on Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
deaconblues
Nursery

Post by deaconblues »

I wouldn't be surprised if donations to homeless shelters, food banks, and other charities benefit when LDS members go through a "faith crisis." :) ;)