LDS and stay at home moms?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Re: Mexican Proverb

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Gazelam wrote:A house does not rest upon the ground

but upon a woman
Gaz, don't screw this up.

I grew up in Bountiful Utah. You could not get more Mormon than that... well perhaps in Happy Valley..

I saw many broken homes within this Zion's Camp. All were active LDS. Even my own family. Very devout. Followed all of the LDS rules. But a very broken home... pregnancies, drugs, alcohol, kids getting kicked out of school... and mommy dearest stayed home and ensured we had family prayer morning and night, family home evening every monday, 100% attendance to ALL church meetings, over the top tithers, genealogy nazis, temple attending nazis.. the hall way was lined with all of the past Mormon presidents with quotes that we were expected to memorize...

My family was a large family with a number of us adopted.. me included. From the outside, it was the perfect Mormon family, with the SAME comments every Sunday as we filed out of the chapel, "Brother and Sister Porter, you have such a perfect group of kids! How do you keep them all so reverent?"
"Two words, FEAR AND PAIN!", we'd mumble under our breath. Yes, both of them were very heavy handed.

Out here in California, most of the men I work with have wives that work, I also work with many married women. All of them are non Mormons.

The number of broken homes I see here is far less as a percentage than I saw in my 99% Mormon Bountiful Utah were close to 99% had stay at home mommies.

Perhaps the difference here is an average higher education? All are engineers or related BA degrees, there is a mix of 2-5 children in each family...

Perhaps the smaller families are easier to manage?

Perhaps the weight of Mormonism not crushing them make a difference?

Back when I was a Mormon, I too held irrational beliefs that the home rested on the mother.. and her best place was at home.. I was wrong. The best place for a mother is loving her children, period. Ditto for the fathers.

Now that my daughters will not be ran through the RM bride mill of the Mormon "young women" program, I will see them graduate from a university and become successful women. Free to choose what they want to be and on their own schedule.
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Polygamy Porter wrote:I saw many broken homes within this Zion's Camp. All were active LDS. Even my own family. Very devout. Followed all of the LDS rules. But a very broken home... pregnancies, drugs, alcohol, kids getting kicked out of school... and mommy dearest stayed home and ensured we had family prayer morning and night, family home evening every monday, 100% attendance to ALL church meetings, over the top tithers, genealogy nazis, temple attending nazis.. the hall way was lined with all of the past Mormon presidents with quotes that we were expected to memorize...

Ah Porter, you are in good form today. How come none of your exmo mates object to this? Where is "Mr.Scratch"?
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Ray A wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:I saw many broken homes within this Zion's Camp. All were active LDS. Even my own family. Very devout. Followed all of the LDS rules. But a very broken home... pregnancies, drugs, alcohol, kids getting kicked out of school... and mommy dearest stayed home and ensured we had family prayer morning and night, family home evening every monday, 100% attendance to ALL church meetings, over the top tithers, genealogy nazis, temple attending nazis.. the hall way was lined with all of the past Mormon presidents with quotes that we were expected to memorize...

Ah Porter, you are in good form today. How come none of your exmo mates object to this? Where is "Mr.Scratch"?
Object to what Ray?

That I was raised in a nazi Mormon home?

Edit to add: Oh are you pulling a Jgirl on me? She objects to the slang use of the term "retarded" . Are you trying to tell me that you object to the slang usage of the term "nazi"?
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Polygamy Porter wrote:Object to what Ray?

I am not saying you were not raised in a bad home environment. But should this include all Mormon homes?

Polygamy Porter wrote:Edit to add: Oh are you pulling a Jgirl on me? She objects to the slang use of the term "retarded" . Are you trying to tell me that you object to the slang usage of the term "nazi"?

The use of the term "retarded" is quite offensive. You're very hypocritical here. You want US to sympathise with your family dilemma, yet you throw scorn on people who have what you call "retarded children". Is that all they are - "retarded"?

I was pounced upon for using the term "nazi" and "exmormons" in the same breath, but if you use "retarded" so loosely, it obviously does not make any difference to you.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

scottveg (whatever number that was! 3?)

A woman can be a good mother and have a career. Just because a woman can stay home because her husband makes enough, why should she want/have to. It's her choice. Work can be stimulating, and rewarding. As long as the kids are loved, taken care of and nurtured, why does it matter.

I have a question just out of curiosity and try not to read more into it then what there is. Here goes...

If Mom and Dad are working at their careers...who would you choose to do the taking care of and nuturing while they're at work for let's say...9-10 hours a day (including time there for travel) ?

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Ray A wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:Object to what Ray?

I am not saying you were not raised in a bad home environment. But should this include all Mormon homes?
Read my post, I was referring to MY family and parents.

Ray A wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:Edit to add: Oh are you pulling a Jgirl on me? She objects to the slang use of the term "retarded" . Are you trying to tell me that you object to the slang usage of the term "nazi"?

The use of the term "retarded" is quite offensive. You're very hypocritical here. You want US to sympathise with your family dilemma, yet you throw scorn on people who have what you call "retarded children". Is that all they are - "retarded"?

I was pounced upon for using the term "nazi" and "exmormons" in the same breath, but if you use "retarded" so loosely, it obviously does not make any difference to you.
I have friends with "mentally handicapped" children, and they prefer using that phrase to describe their condition. I use the terms retarded and nazi in a modern loose slang way.

If I am acting retarded, then by all means call me a retard. If I am f****** retarded then please use the term f***tard. [MODERATOR NOTE: No, please don't.] If I live in Utah and am acting f****** retarded, please use the term, U-f******-tard, but if I am just plain retarded and live in Utah, go easy and call me a Utard.

If I am over the top zealously engaged in something the please preferrece the noun that describes my activity with NAZI. At times I am a NAZI EXMO. I admit that.

Oh and don't be such a f***tard, I did not post to seek sympathy. I was giving an example of the failure of Gazzies world view. I am very successful given the conditions I was raised, no thanks to the asswipe foster parents that I had. Most of their own children in that family did not fare so well in life. I earned everything I have today. It would take a 15 foot pry bar to open the wallet of my foster dad. I learned at a very young age that he was tighter than the bark on a tree when it came to money.

In life you are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Seeking sympathy is part of the problem.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Jersey Girl wrote:scottveg (whatever number that was! 3?)

A woman can be a good mother and have a career. Just because a woman can stay home because her husband makes enough, why should she want/have to. It's her choice. Work can be stimulating, and rewarding. As long as the kids are loved, taken care of and nurtured, why does it matter.

I have a question just out of curiosity and try not to read more into it then what there is. Here goes...

If Mom and Dad are working at their careers...who would you choose to do the taking care of and nuturing while they're at work for let's say...9-10 hours a day (including time there for travel) ?

Jersey Girl
I draw the line at smooching off parents. When they get older, if my children ask me to watch their children occasionally, I will be happy to do so. However, if they expect me to be a free DAILY babysitter, then I will tell them they need to adjust their spending habits.

There are good day care services and bad, good parents and bad. Life is a balance.

A friend and her husband in our neighborhood are expecting their first child in a month. They are both near 40. She chose to have her family later in life. She took early retirement and is excited to experience motherhood. They are very financially secure so there is no financial need for her to work, but perhaps she will later down the road.. dunno it's her choice.
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Polygamy Porter wrote:If I am acting retarded, then by all means call me a retard.

And if you were black would you like me to call you a N*****?

Polygamy Porter wrote:If I am over the top zealously engaged in something the please preferrece the noun that describes my activity with NAZI. At times I am a NAZI EXMO. I admit that.

Thank you, Porter. I was told by the PC exmo brigade that "nazi exmos" don't exist. At least you're honest about it. Now I know of at least one Nazi Exmo who exists, and if you find one black bird among a million white ones.............

Polygamy Porter wrote:Oh and don't be such a f***tard, I did not post to seek sympathy. I was giving an example of the failure Gazzies world view. I am very successful given the conditions I was raised. Most of the other children in that family did not fare so well in life.

Your story was interesting, and would elicit some sympathy from me, even though you say that was not your intention. Obviously you get a kick out of being a "Nazi ex-Mormon". The tormented turn tormentor. Nice work.

Polygamy Porter wrote:In life you are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Seeking sympathy is part of the problem.

I agree. But is "part of the solution" becoming a "Nazi exmo"?
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Ray A wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:In life you are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Seeking sympathy is part of the problem.

I agree. But is "part of the solution" becoming a "Nazi exmo"?
I do not wave garments and temple garb outside of the mega'nacle during general conference.. but it does sound like fun...

So, nazi exmo at times on line... but blend in well with the Mormons in public..

Chatting online with the unwitting saps at Mormon.org? Oh yeah! Part of the solution to help more Mormons see the truth.
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Polygamy Porter wrote:I do not wave garments and temple garb outside of the mega'nacle during general conference.. but it does sound like fun...

So, nazi exmo at times on line... but blend in well with the Mormons in public..

No, Porter, it appears you have some "borderlines". You don't wave temple garments in public (though you think "it sounds like fun"), you just come on this forum to pester and insult Mormons, and liken Joseph Smith's First Vision to the effects of a "masturbatory experience" (self-projection?). Your insults and slander seem to have no boundaries, whether it is "the retarded", or Mormons. And "f***tard" is a version of "retard", both of which seem to be "okay" with you.

Your posts just drip with mockery of Mormons. You might as well go wave those temple garments outside the "mega'nacle".

[MODERATOR NOTE: Please do not use the "F" word, or any of its variants, in the Terrestrial Forum.]