"Book of Mormon, Book of Lies"--New book and theory?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_MCB
_Emeritus

Re: "Book of Mormon, Book of Lies"--New book and theory?

Post by _MCB »

I do not understand why these publishers tend to use such inflammatory language in their titles?
I have trouble with that, also. I still like the Nightlionish first title to mine "As a Dew before the Sun"
Huckelberry said:
I see the order and harmony to be the very image of God which smiles upon us each morning as we awake.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... cc_toc.htm
_son of Ishmael
_Emeritus

Post by _son of Ishmael »

cinepro wrote:I've been curious about this book:

An American Fraud: One Lawyer's Case against Mormonism

566 pages must be some case!

It was free on Amazon for kindle a while ago. It was a quick read. The version I had was not 566 pages.
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

As others have noted, I always smile when one of these books with titles like this one come out. However, in another sense, it is rather black and white and posing the real nature of the argument. Either Mormonism is based on the truth that there really is a God and you can speak with that God OR it is a complete fraud and there is no such being. When people put titles on books like these, I wish they'd realize what is at the core of their argument with Mormonism. Since most people are unwilling to do what it takes to follow God and have no experiences to base their belief in God upon, they naturally come to the conclusion that Mormonism (or substitute in any other religion) is based on lies and is a fraud. The fact is, their argument isn't with the religion as much as it is with a God that they feel is unwilling to answer them as they demand.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Tobin wrote:As others have noted, I always smile when one of these books with titles like this one come out. However, in another sense, it is rather black and white and posing the real nature of the argument. Either Mormonism is based on the truth that there really is a God and you can speak with that God OR it is a complete fraud and there is no such being. When people put titles on books like these, I wish they'd realize what is at the core of their argument with Mormonism. Since most people are unwilling to do what it takes to follow God and have no experiences to base their belief in God upon, they naturally come to the conclusion that Mormonism (or substitute in any other religion) is based on lies and is a fraud. The fact is, their argument isn't with the religion as much as it is with a God that they feel is unwilling to answer them as they demand.

I'm not following. Isn't one of the possibilities that "there really is a God and you can speak with that God," but that it's not the Mormon God that exists?
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

Brad Hudson wrote:
Tobin wrote:As others have noted, I always smile when one of these books with titles like this one come out. However, in another sense, it is rather black and white and posing the real nature of the argument. Either Mormonism is based on the truth that there really is a God and you can speak with that God OR it is a complete fraud and there is no such being. When people put titles on books like these, I wish they'd realize what is at the core of their argument with Mormonism. Since most people are unwilling to do what it takes to follow God and have no experiences to base their belief in God upon, they naturally come to the conclusion that Mormonism (or substitute in any other religion) is based on lies and is a fraud. The fact is, their argument isn't with the religion as much as it is with a God that they feel is unwilling to answer them as they demand.

I'm not following. Isn't one of the possibilities that "there really is a God and you can speak with that God," but that it's not the Mormon God that exists?

Not really. If there is a God or god-like beings, then most religions are right to an extent and it really doesn't matter that much. It shouldn't be that hard to pick one. There are a lot to choose from. In my case, I went with Mormonism because it was how I was raised. I don't believe it is very likely that it perfectly reflects or teachs everything there is to know about God. So, in my view, if you are really interested in that topic, it is best to get the answers from the source and determine a good view based on what is most likely to be true.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Ok. Thanks for clarifying.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

MCB wrote:
I do not understand why these publishers tend to use such inflammatory language in their titles?
I have trouble with that, also. I still like the Nightlionish first title to mine "As a Dew before the Sun"

That's a really a nice. What would be nicer still would be a collection of Nightlionisms.

Oh, before I forget I noticed this sentence in The Book of Mormon's book of Enos:

Enos 26 And I saw that I must soon go down to my grave, having been wrought upon by the power of God that I must preach and prophesy unto this people, and declare the word according to the truth which is in Christ. And I have declared it in all my days, and have rejoiced in it above that of the world.

The Book of Mormon is filled with 'tells' like this that shout from the housetops that it cannot be a fake. Nobody except those who experience the power of God could have the slightest clue what it is really like. It is not obvious to the uninitiated. This sort of sentiment is not comprehended except by fellow saints for its precision in telling what knowing the Lord is like.
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_MCB
_Emeritus

Post by _MCB »

This has more authenticity as a whole, to my mind. Your perception may vary.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ns4GAA ... nyan&hl=en

The best biography and literary criticism
http://books.google.com/books?id=88jSBd ... CEEQ6AEwBA
Huckelberry said:
I see the order and harmony to be the very image of God which smiles upon us each morning as we awake.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... cc_toc.htm
_kramd1
_Emeritus

Post by _kramd1 »

The title seems apt and accurate
B of M Book of Lies.

The book is well put together and contains convincing evidence of Joseph Smith Senoir instigating a works of plagiarism for the Book of Mormon while Joseph Smith Junior way a boy . Sheets ( the author) outlines in great detail the parallels to the stories contained in the english 1818 version of "the travels of Marco Polo" to the Book of Mormon . Sheets provides a conclusive evidence of where the Smiths obtained the story lines, names and dates for the B of M. It is by far the most credible evidence I have read to date. Book of Mormon book of lies has only just been published Nov 2012 and I'm amazed that it has taken 180 years to discover the base source of plagiarised materials that both Smith senior & junior used.
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

OK, I will read Marco Polo myself and do an independent evaluation.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.