David Bokovoy Comments On Greg Smith's Dehlin Article

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: David Bokovoy Comments On Greg Smith's Dehlin Article

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Enuma Elish wrote:
I'm actually under contract to continue teaching Bible and Mormon Studies next year at the University of Utah (a place I have grown to love and where I feel quite comfortable; especially in terms of Languages and Literature and Religious Studies).

In a not so shameless plug, on Tuesdays and Thursday nights this Fall beginning at 7:00 PM, I will be teaching their first-ever "Book of Mormon as Literature" course using Grant Hardy's Reader's Edition of the Book of Mormon as the primary text.

In addition to taking the various individual voices in the text seriously (a.k.a. Terryl Givens and Grant Hardy), and looking at the ways in which the Book of Mormon imitates biblical literary patterns and makes use of texts such as Isaiah, this class will of course also explore the ways in which the Book of Mormon has been analyzed as 19th century religious literature by commentators such as David Wright, Dan Vogel, Margaret Toscano, Brent Metcalfe, and Mark Thomas, all of whom I hold in very high regard.

I'm very humbled and excited by the fact that as far as I'm aware, this is the first time ever that an entire academic course will be devoted to this issue outside of a devotional context and of course independent of the book's truth claims.

I would like to officially invite any of you on this board who are interested to join us through Continuing Education.

Best,

--DB

BYU's loss is UoU's gain and according to a certain UoU fan on this board, somewhere an angel just got its wings. :cry:

David is your class accessible for an out of state person through the internet and continuing education? I am not sure how all that might work.

Thanks
Last edited by Guest on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

You are a class act, David! :biggrin:

Great review...and CONGRATS on your course! If I was in Utah, I would definitely take it.
_Yahoo Bot
_Emeritus

Post by _Yahoo Bot »

Enuma Elish wrote:In a not so shameless plug, on Tuesdays and Thursday nights this Fall beginning at 7:00 PM, I will be teaching their first-ever "Book of Mormon as Literature" course using Grant Hardy's Reader's Edition of the Book of Mormon as the primary text.
--DB

That is a great book. I have given it to several members of my family. I have written Grant to thank him for it.

Is he a believer? I heard that he's a "Book of Mormon is not history" member of the Church.
_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

Now this is Mormon Studies.

Enuma Elish wrote:Thanks, friends, for the kind thoughts and critique. I really don't have anything else to share on this issue. Like I said, I don't know that I have personally ever listened to any of John's podcasts. I just know that what he does has worked for some and for that I appreciate his efforts.

I'm assuming it's a reference to this board, but someone suggested that a comment was made that I officially work with the Maxwell Institute. Just to clarify, I have no connections whatsoever with BYU or the Maxwell Institute and no opinions on what they should or should not publish.

I'm actually under contract to continue teaching Bible and Mormon Studies next year at the University of Utah (a place I have grown to love and where I feel quite comfortable; especially in terms of Languages and Literature and Religious Studies).

In a not so shameless plug, on Tuesdays and Thursday nights this Fall beginning at 7:00 PM, I will be teaching their first-ever "Book of Mormon as Literature" course using Grant Hardy's Reader's Edition of the Book of Mormon as the primary text.

In addition to taking the various individual voices in the text seriously (a.k.a. Terryl Givens and Grant Hardy), and looking at the ways in which the Book of Mormon imitates biblical literary patterns and makes use of texts such as Isaiah, this class will of course also explore the ways in which the Book of Mormon has been analyzed as 19th century religious literature by commentators such as David Wright, Dan Vogel, Margaret Toscano, Brent Metcalfe, and Mark Thomas, all of whom I hold in very high regard.

I'm very humbled and excited by the fact that as far as I'm aware, this is the first time ever that an entire academic course will be devoted to this issue outside of a devotional context and of course independent of the book's truth claims.

I would like to officially invite any of you on this board who are interested to join us through Continuing Education.

Best,

--DB
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Enuma Elish wrote:

BYU's loss is UoU's gain and according to a certain UoU fan on this board, somewhere an angel just got its wings. :cry:

David is your class accessible for an out of state person through the internet and continuing education? I am not sure how all that might work.

Thanks

That's right.

I may have to find a way to commute to Utah twice a week this fall...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

It’s good to hear from you David. I too agreed with and loved your post at MDDB.

It’s also good to hear you are settled in at the UoU, are enjoying your experience and have been given the opportunity for this course.

I should take your course …. Will it be available at night, or only day classes?
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Great to hear from you, David.

I miss you!

I appreciate your post and would like to thank Fence Sitter for cross-posting it here so I could read it. (Still not allowed even to view MDDB.)

I second (or is it third by now?) your comments about Grant Hardy's book. I have read it twice now and am still learning new things from it.

I seem to recall Grant and his lovely wife, whom he credits with many of the insights in his book, were interviewed last year in a multi-part Mormon Stories podcast.

Did Greg Smith mention that in his not-a-hit-piece?

All the Best!

--Consiglieri
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Kishkumen wrote:I think he is trying to escape the cycle of attacks. If he attacks Greg's piece, it will only serve to perpetuate the problem. Best to find a different way out.

David could simply have sat this one out. He chose to wade in rather than take the 'silence is golden' route. That makes his sortie into this a rather intriguing way out to have taken.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

consiglieri wrote:I seem to recall Grant and his lovely wife, whom he credits with many of the insights in his book, were interviewed last year in a multi-part Mormon Stories podcast.

Did Greg Smith mention that in his not-a-hit-piece?

I think he also had precise calculations of how many people the Grant Hardy & lovely spouse episode led out of the Church to a life of wife-swapping and pot experimentation.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I think David Bokovoy would say that if the article in question were a pork butt roast, then Mr. Smith has every right to cook it, although first marinating it in tumeric for 72 hours lends too much of an acidic and bitter taste. Much better to stick to a hot, smokey and sweet mixture to achieve a balanced taste that both nourishes and strengthens the body.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace