BYU grad general resigns over "swinging"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Re: BYU grad general resigns over "swinging"

Post by _Tator »

MsJack wrote:
ldsfaqs wrote:It shows clearly your level of character and intellect.

It pains me to hear that I'm not intellectual enough for the guy who mansplains to women how their hymens work. That's devastating, really.

I can't stop laughing!
Devastating, so true, really!
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

All I read was that he had an extramarital affair. It didn't say anything about he and his wife being swingers.

Did I miss something?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

MsJack wrote:
ldsfaqs wrote:It shows clearly your level of character and intellect.

It pains me to hear that I'm not intellectual enough for the guy who mansplains to women how their hymens work. That's devastating, really.

Not only that, this is the man who 'pushed' his wife in the chest with a closed fist because, he claims, there "wasn't enough time" to unfurl his fingers.
_Rino
_Emeritus

Post by _Rino »

MsJack wrote:Bull****. I'd say pony up some examples but you can't and you won't.

Didn't you once like using the term "short-bus" when referring to people? Being a mother of two special needs kids, that likely has matured out of you, but while a don't support faqs, you might want to give him 10 years or so to regret his sayings as well...?

Also, [personal attack-caliber aspersion deleted].
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Rino wrote:Didn't you once like using the term "short-bus" when referring to people? Being a mother of two special needs kids, that likely has matured out of you, but while a don't support faqs, you might want to give him 10 years or so to regret his sayings as well...?

So, what you're saying is that when he's 54, we can expect him to stop slinging 4th grade level insults.

Got it.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

He should have stood his ground and proclaimed that he was only guilty of taking religious liberties.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Rino wrote:Didn't you once like using the term "short-bus" when referring to people?

In 2008 (in my mid-20s), I used the term "short bus" to refer to evangelical anti-Mormons. Just over a year later, I said (in a reflection on the post), "The short bus analogy makes me wince. I realize the outrageous, abrasive, politically incorrect nature of it is part of what drew people in to the post, but I guess in the last 14 months, I’ve grown soft on the metaphor. The fact that my daughter is now enrolled in a special education preschool class probably accounts for part of this. Comparing people who are willfully mean-spirited and ignorant to people who have serious disabilities is really unfair on the latter group. So I probably would not have used the same analogy today."

Rino wrote:Being a mother of two special needs kids, that likely has matured out of you, but while a don't support faqs, you might want to give him 10 years or so to regret his sayings as well...?

You're seven years too late to that party, but it was a nice attempt at "you too." Do you forget that some of us have known ldsfaqs for ~15 years and this behavior hasn't changed a bit? If anything, it's gotten worse.

But you're right, maybe it will "age out" of him if we give him 10 more years.

Rino wrote:[personal attack-caliber aspersion deleted]

You don't strike me as anyone who's worth listening to re: advice on my personal life. I'm sure you can find other pursuits to take up your time.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Dr. Shades wrote:All I read was that he had an extramarital affair. It didn't say anything about he and his wife being swingers.

Did I miss something?

It's not mentioned in the article Runtu linked to, but it's talked about here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... /89220810/

The swinging was done with his mistress, not his wife. Here's a gem from his mistress, Jennifer Armstrong:

Armstrong’s account of their affair is backed up by emails she said the two shared, indicating trysts involving other women, other couples and encounters with strangers at swingers’ clubs. However, Armstrong also misrepresented her educational background in the interview. She claimed to have a nursing degree from the University of California at San Diego. A check there revealed she did not, prompting Armstrong to claim a degree from California State University San Marcos. She does not.

When she got caught making up the first degree, did she really think they weren't going to check on the second one? :lol:

It looks like the misuse of government resources was, in part, using his military e-mail account to conduct the affair. I'm not surprised (and had guessed as much from Runtu's link). People who cheat use their work accounts all the time---even though it's sure to get them fired if found out---because work e-mail is the one place where they can be really positive that their spouse won't have access. They start acting like the office is their cheater batcave.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Rino
_Emeritus

Post by _Rino »

MsJack wrote:In 2008 (in my mid-20s), I used the term "short bus" to refer to evangelical anti-Mormons.

And I am sure it is the only time you said something derogatory or offensive...? Since it is not, why not let she who is without sin cast the first stone? After all faqs is also the victim of some of the same issues you are, so I would think some sympathy would be in order.

But you're right, maybe it will "age out" of him if we give him 10 more years.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. What does your faith say about treating people, regardless? Perhaps he too is suffering from inner pain? Sympathy is rarely employed, but it can be in endless supply.

You don't strike me as anyone who's worth listening to re: advice on my personal life. I'm sure you can find other pursuits to take up your time.

You have a picture of your MA regalia while at your Community College certificate graduation. I think there is something there. Talking to someone might be helpful. It also usually never hurts, so there is little to lose.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Rino ~ The one who "cast the first stone" in this thread was ldsfaqs. My OP in the thread said nothing to him or about him. I generally ignore his posts because I think he's mentally ill and I feel sorry for him, and I honestly don't know where the mental illness ends and the "this is who he is" bad behavior begins. However, if he's going to call me names and get in my face, I am going to respond.

That you're using a tiny bit of bad behavior on my part from 8 years ago that I expressed regret for 7 years ago to suggest that I shouldn't respond to someone who misbehaves flagrantly and frequently---even when he singles me out unprovoked---leaves me wondering whether you're a troll or just someone who is really lacking in perspective.

That you think a single mom completing an MA degree and a professional certificate while raising two kids with special needs is somehow an indicator of need for counseling means you are definitely either a troll or someone who is really lacking in perspective.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.