A rather tall tale about the gold plates?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: A rather tall tale about the gold plates?

Post by _moksha »

Grudunza wrote:Difference is that the people who share stories and appreciation of Thor and Iron Man and Wonder Woman know that they’re all fictional.

You're thinking in terms of presentism. That was the age of superlatives and everyone embellished their stories back then and had very young wives.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

I read the full article I came away thinking that Joseph and Co. went to a LOT of effort to protect those plates. To the point of leaving the area they were in to get away from the folks that were trying to grab them. If Joseph and Co. were play acting during this whole time, they were putting on a dang good show.

That's what con artists do, put on a good show. And if they hadn't been blabbing about them to everyone, then perhaps they would not have had any trouble. But it was the Smiths who were involved with money diggers. What did they expect? If they weren't out to kill him, why have guns and not big clubs that would have been far better weapons to incapacitate him? The whole thing is silly beyond measure.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

mentalgymnast wrote:As I read the full article I came away thinking that Joseph and Co. went to a LOT of effort to protect those plates. To the point of leaving the area they were in to get away from the folks that were trying to grab them. If Joseph and Co. were play acting during this whole time, they were putting on a dang good show. :wink:

Regards,
MG

If Paul Dunn was play acting the whole time, he was putting on a dang good show.

:wink:
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

grindael wrote:
I read the full article I came away thinking that Joseph and Co. went to a LOT of effort to protect those plates. To the point of leaving the area they were in to get away from the folks that were trying to grab them. If Joseph and Co. were play acting during this whole time, they were putting on a dang good show.

That's what con artists do, put on a good show. And if they hadn't been blabbing about them to everyone, then perhaps they would not have had any trouble. But it was the Smiths who were involved with money diggers. What did they expect? If they weren't out to kill him, why have guns and not big clubs that would have been far better weapons to incapacitate him? The whole thing is silly beyond measure.

Which is the point - if Joseph and Co were play acting, a dang good show is exactly what they would have put on.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

I have a question wrote:
Which is the point - if Joseph and Co were play acting, a dang good show is exactly what they would have put on.

I realize that this is your point of view. "Play acting". As I read the narratives surrounding the finding of the plates and the protection of the same so that they could be translated, I am of the opinion that there is something else going on there besides "play acting".

I suppose we can agree to disagree. And I'm cool with that.

Regards,
MG
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Speaking of play acting... Here is the Mormon narrative in cartoon!

https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/c ... 867970.pdf

Please take note of the finely crafted stone box that's not there any more, AND the Church actually cops to Joseph Smith using the iStone in image #6!

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

So... when Peepstone Jo said this, he was totally serious?

...he turned round to take the Book and it was not there and he was astonished that the Book was gone he that he would look in the place again and see if it had not got back again he had heard people tell of such things and he opened the Box and Behold the Book was there he took hold of it to take it out again and Behold he could not stur the Book any more than he could the mountain he exclaimed why can't I stur this Book and he was answered you have not done rite you should have took the Book and a gone right away you can't have it now. ...

It is ten times better then I expected. Then he went on to the length and width and thickness of the plates and said they appear to be gold But he seemed to think more of the glasses or the urim and thummim then he did of the plates for says he I CAN SEE ANYTHING, THEY ARE MARVELOUS. Now they are written in caricters and I want them translated...

Really? Plates that magically vanish? And reappear again? He could see ANYTHING? C'mon.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

grindael wrote:So... when Peepstone Jo said this, he was totally serious?

...he turned round to take the Book and it was not there and he was astonished that the Book was gone he that he would look in the place again and see if it had not got back again he had heard people tell of such things and he opened the Box and Behold the Book was there he took hold of it to take it out again and Behold he could not stur the Book any more than he could the mountain he exclaimed why can't I stur this Book and he was answered you have not done rite you should have took the Book and a gone right away you can't have it now. ...

It is ten times better then I expected. Then he went on to the length and width and thickness of the plates and said they appear to be gold But he seemed to think more of the glasses or the urim and thummim then he did of the plates for says he I CAN SEE ANYTHING, THEY ARE MARVELOUS. Now they are written in caricters and I want them translated...

Really? Plates that magically vanish? And reappear again? He could see ANYTHING? C'mon.

Don't forget to link to your sources.

Thanks,
MG
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Go fish!
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

grindael wrote:

Go fish!

You're serious? No links to your sources?

Why?

Regards,
MG