Nelsons daughter and son-in-law accused of sex abuse

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Rosebud
_Emeritus

Re: Nelsons daughter and son-in-law accused of sex abuse

Post by _Rosebud »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Rosebud wrote:Well now..... this one is going to be interesting.

Plenty of false accusations floating around.

Plenty of true ones, too.

What a Mormon mess.

The Pace memo is only as bat ____ crazy as Mormonism is bat ____ crazy. The two are on par. Only a Mormom could believe in the Pace memo because the Pace memo is steeped in Mormonism.

But to perpetrators, isn't one red herring just as good as another? The world is full of sadists who have no problem hurting children and who love a good fish!

The recovered memory fiasco was far from a Mormon mess. It was a weird period of mass hysteria propelled by pseudo science.

Yes, it was. And Mormonism had its own brand of it as demonstrated by the Pace memo.

And I am saying that all the branding.... Mormon and otherwise.... became a nice, fat, juicy red herring.
Chronological List of Relevant Documents, Media Reports and Occurrences with Links regarding the lawsuit alleging President Nelson's daughter and son-in-law are sexual predators.

By our own Mary (with maybe some input from me when I can help). Thank you Mary!

Thread about the lawsuit

Thread about Mary's chronological document
_Rosebud
_Emeritus

Post by _Rosebud »

for what it's worth, Barbara Snow taught one of the best classes I ever took during my undergrad. Very cogent.

So how did this all really happen?
Chronological List of Relevant Documents, Media Reports and Occurrences with Links regarding the lawsuit alleging President Nelson's daughter and son-in-law are sexual predators.

By our own Mary (with maybe some input from me when I can help). Thank you Mary!

Thread about the lawsuit

_Rosebud
_Emeritus

Post by _Rosebud »

And it's nice to see what Sam'a work has spurred.

Thread about the lawsuit

_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Rosebud wrote:If some memories are false, are all memories false?

Well, if you subscribe to materialism, then all our memories are just stored in the data drive that is our brain. I think some storage units are better at preventing fragmentaion of stored data, and its reconstruction when we attempt to recall a memory.

I think, from what I've read, when we recall memories we're heavily influencing them through the lens of subjectivity, and subjectivity is influened by all sorts of factors. It's not unreasonable to believe the data stored in our brains basically don't store very well over time, through physical trauma, or some other factor.

- Doc

An image our brain's wiring, so to speak:

In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Rosebud
_Emeritus

Post by _Rosebud »

Oh..... and it's important to keep in mind that the exceptionally "anti-Mormon" side of this is based on the notion that children who are sexually abused have a higher likelihood of growing up to become perpetrators than children who aren't sexually abused. This is pointing right at the prophet.

Thread about the lawsuit

_Rosebud
_Emeritus

Post by _Rosebud »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Rosebud wrote:If some memories are false, are all memories false?

Well, if you subscribe to materialism, then all our memories are just stored in the data drive that is our brain. I think some storage units are better at preventing fragmentaion of stored data, and its reconstruction when we attempt to recall a memory.

I think, from what I've read, when we recall memories we're heavily influencing them through the lens of subjectivity, and subjectivity is influened by all sorts of factors. It's not unreasonable to believe the data stored in our brains basically don't store very well over time, through physical trauma, or some other factor.

- Doc

An image our brain's wiring, so to speak:

So your answer to the question, "If some memories are false, are all memories false?" Is "no"? Or is your answer that all old memories are false? Or only that some old memories are false?

Is it the length of time between the moment of recall and the date the memory was made the determining factor between a "true" memory and a "false" memory?

If some components of an old memory are false are all components of the same old memory false?

Thread about the lawsuit

_Rosebud
_Emeritus

Post by _Rosebud »

Here's a link to the Pace memo if anyone wants it:

https://www.scribd.com/document/1059677 ... e-7-19-90#

Thread about the lawsuit

_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Rosebud wrote:So your answer to the question, "If some memories are false, are all memories false?" Is "no"? Or is your answer that all old memories are false? Or only that some old memories are false?

Is it the length of time between the moment of recall and the date the memory was made the determining factor between a "true" memory and a "false" memory?

If some components of an old memory are false are all components of the same old memory false?

Well. I don't really know. When it comes to our brains, and our perception of the world, where does it cross over from science into philosophy, or even metaphysics?

Once something is recorded, is it real or is it Memorex? And using that analogy if the tape you're using to store data on is crappy, then how good is the recording? And if the tape has been erased, and later subjected to forensics how much data are you recovering and is it enough information to make out the original event that merited recording in the first place?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:The recovered memory fiasco was far from a Mormon mess. It was a weird period of mass hysteria propelled by pseudo science.

- Doc

Hi Doc,

What's the connection between the image you posted and the text to which it's responding?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_slskipper
_Emeritus

Post by _slskipper »

Lemmie wrote:Was this around the time Pace issued his infamous Satanic ritual abuse memo? It was really astonishing to read that special piece of nonsense and realize how gullible even the highest of church leaders can be.

Yes.