Bokovoy: Half of DCP's Pay Comes from the Maxwell Institute

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Bokovoy: Half of DCP's Pay Comes from the Maxwell Instit

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

From Lemmie's first link:

Prevaricating Peterson wrote:Pending my dismissal from METI, I will insist that I continue to be compensated as a director in my role, which I will now have more time for, as its editor in chief. I also expect my usual fee as editor of the issue of the Mormon Studies Review that you've killed. It was finished and ready to go.

"Not one dime."

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Most noteworthy to me is the rather shabby way David Bokovoy is treated in DCP’s references to the interview. Poor form.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Post by _lostindc »

Kishkumen wrote:Most noteworthy to me is the rather shabby way David Bokovoy is treated in DCP’s references to the interview. Poor form.

I thought the same. David is a really kind person and speaks kind of DCP. People like David are why I sometimes miss the Church. I realize David is now not active, but still...

I am not necessarily a DCP hater, but I do notice that he feels you're either with him or against him and no in-between. If you're against him then the gloves are always off. Life is a constant war for DCP and he has no shortage of enemies.
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Hearing Bokovoy in that interview was, for me, like listening to a kinder, more patient, and braver version of myself. He said what he said about DCP in DCP’s defense. In return DCP treats him like an ignorant nobody. Poor form indeed.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Dr. Scratch wrote: I can easily imagine a scenario where DCP, having lost his smelling salts, was thrown into such a state of despair over this "change of editors," that he refused to work with anyone at the Maxwell Institute, including the people at METI. He (i.e., DCP) has always claimed that the other people there were dissing him: failing to invite him to meetings, treating him badly, and so on. But what if he was just in such a funk that he was the one who was impossible to work with? It wouldn't be unheard of to imagine a scenario in which they all found him insufferable, and some deal was hammered out where he would just take a hike, but he'd still get his MI compensation. Just having him out of the building would probably be a great relief, and, indeed, this idea seems to be supported by DCP's own comments (" I haven’t so much as crossed the threshold of the essentially off-campus and out-of-the-way building where the Maxwell Institute is housed").

This seems to perfectly describe the DCP we've all grown to love and admire.

Dr. Scratch has, I think, pretty much killed, buried, and nailed the coffin shut on the idea Peterson isn't compensated by the Maxwell Institute and Mopologetics, and then thrown the coffin into Mount Doom, before dropping Mt Doom under the continental plates.

Folks, you can't make this stuff up.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:This seems to perfectly describe the DCP we've all grown to love and admire.

He has always been exceptionally squirrelly on this topic--always leaving this equivocation-y loophole in his responses in case he ever got "caught." Well, "being on loan" to the Maxwell Institute for "several years" certainly counts as that: what a colossal slip-up on his part.

As to the question of whether he's still drawing half his pay for "Maxwell Institute work," as David Bokovoy suggests: I think that it's certainly plausible, for the reason you point out, Bishop. This is *precisely* the type of thing that Peterson would simultaneously lie about while yukking it up privately with the likes of Hamblin and Midgley: "Ha ha ha! Screw them! They want to try to kick me out of my position on the Review? Well how about this? I'm going to keep taking your money, but I'm not going to do a lick of work, and there's nothing you can do to stop me!" He couldn't openly say this for obvious reasons: his home department would object, and even his most ardent fans might at last find fault with him if they knew he was engaging in deliberate, exploitative laziness like this (provided that it's true). Then again, look at my sig-line quote. If he truly is screwing over the Maxwell Institute, and he and his pals have all crafted this grand, sensationalist narrative about how they were unfairly jettisoned from the MI by anti-Mormons (who still happen to be infiltrating the MI, by the way), then how would the MI go about ratting him out? Like I said earlier, it could be that they see this as a mutually beneficial arrangement: sure, they will pay him for doing, essentially, nothing, because that is easier (and less likely to stir up yet another huge kerfuffle) than booting him out and holding him to account.

This is speculation, to be sure, but like you said, Everybody Wang Chung, it fits with the person's patterns of behavior.

On a sidenote: Dr. Bokovoy, if you happen to be reading this--by any chance did you suggest the name "Mormon Interpreter" because it also bears the same initials as the "Maxwell Institute," thus allowing you to make a subtle "dig" at BYU?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

It seems to me that DocCam has hit upon the real nugget here. If DCP was paid by BYU to do MI apologetics in the Review, what in the heck is this editor’s fee?
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Kishkumen wrote:It seems to me that DocCam has hit upon the real nugget here. If DCP was paid by BYU to do MI apologetics in the Review, what in the heck is this editor’s fee?

Reverend: I would imagine that a good share of the “50% buyout” would have been connected to METI (which I’m sure helps to explain why his home “slot” agreed to the buyout). But yes: I’m curious about the “editor’s fee,” too. Perhaps over the course of the years, he saved up that extra money, and now he’s spending it on exotic vacations?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:Reverend: I would imagine that a good share of the “50% buyout” would have been connected to METI (which I’m sure helps to explain why his home “slot” agreed to the buyout). But yes: I’m curious about the “editor’s fee,” too. Perhaps over the course of the years, he saved up that extra money, and now he’s spending it on exotic vacations?

Here is where the issue of chronology comes into play. I’ve always seen the history of Mopologetics to be a field aching to come into its own. Perhaps you can enlighten us, Doctor: when was METI conceived and organized? Was METI really the reason for BYU to fund DCP’s time at MI? The editor’s fee would presumably separate BYU from the paid apologetics of MI, then, would it not? BYU pays for METI, and MI pays for Review.
_toon
_Emeritus

Post by _toon »

lostindc wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:Most noteworthy to me is the rather shabby way David Bokovoy is treated in DCP’s references to the interview. Poor form.

I thought the same. David is a really kind person and speaks kind of DCP. People like David are why I sometimes miss the Church. I realize David is now not active, but still...

I am not necessarily a DCP hater, but I do notice that he feels you're either with him or against him and no in-between. If you're against him then the gloves are always off. Life is a constant war for DCP and he has no shortage of enemies.

In fairness (if that) to DCP, he claims to have not listened to the podcast and was responding to someone else's summary. Do you think Midge would also tell him the context, or even the nice things David said about him?