A thread dedicated to A.I. debating the decline of Mormonism.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Fence Sitter
1st Counselor

Re: A thread dedicated to A.I. debating the decline of Mormonism.

Post by Fence Sitter »

Someone ask it to do a Book of Mormon style story.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Write a story in the language of the Book of Mormon about Trump trying to clean his vcr.
And it came to pass that on a scorching day in the White House did President Donald Trump find himself in great frustration. For he had received counsel to watch a movie of great worth, but when he went to put the VHS tape in the VCR, he found that it was blocked by a great glob of peanut butter.

And Trump did wax angry at the sight, for he did love peanut butter greatly. But alas, it had caused him great trouble on this day. And he did try to remove the peanut butter with his own fingers, but it was too sticky and would not budge.

But Trump was not one to be defeated. He did rise from his seat and go to the kitchen, seeking a solution to this problem. And after much searching, he did find a bottle of cooking oil. And he did bring it back to the living room and pour it over the peanut butter.

And lo and behold, the oil did dissolve the peanut butter, making it easier to remove. And Trump did carefully wipe away the oily mixture with a paper towel, and the VHS slot was made clean once more.

And Trump did rejoice, for he could now watch his movie in peace. And he did make a mental note to be more careful with his peanut butter in the future, lest it cause him such trouble again.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Everybody Wang Chung
God

I think I tripped up the A.I. with this one, “Make a list about BYU in the style of Dr. Scratch’s Top 10 Happenings in Mopology.”

1. The Great Apologetic Debate of 2023: a heated argument between two Mormon apologists over the proper way to fold a mop.

2. The Mop-A-Thon for Apologetics: a 24-hour marathon of Mormon apologetic lectures, with breaks only for mop-cleaning and snacks.

3. The Mop-A-Palooza: a festive outdoor concert featuring Mormon apologetic bands and solo acts, with mop-shaped inflatable bouncy houses for the kids.

4. The Mop-A-Con: a convention for Mormon apologists, featuring workshops on advanced mop-wringing techniques and the latest mop-cleaning technologies.

5. The Mop Apologetic Challenge: a game show where Mormon apologists compete to see who can defend their beliefs the most convincingly while simultaneously mopping a floor.

6. The Mop-A-Thon for Charity: Mormon apologists team up to raise money for a good cause by washing windows and scrubbing floors with their trusty mops.

7. The Mop Apologetic Bake-Off: a cooking competition featuring Mormon apologetic-themed baked goods, such as the Book of Mormon Mop Cookies and the Doctrine and Covenants Mop Cakes.

8. The Mop Apologetic Talent Show: Mormon apologists showcase their hidden talents, including mop-juggling, mop-tap dancing, and mop-acrobatics.

9. The Mop-A-Thon for Fitness: Mormon apologists join forces for a marathon mop-cleaning session, with breaks for exercise and healthy snacks.

10. The Mop Apologetic Book Club: Mormon apologists gather to discuss and debate the latest apologetic literature over mop-shaped appetizers and mop-shaped drinks.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:17 pm
Someone ask it to do a Book of Mormon style story.
Prior to getting put on the bad queue, I did get this Book of Mormon story in Eminem style generated; posted it in prison so transferring here:
Yo, yo, check it
Nephi was a man of great faith
Livin' in the land of Jerusalem
Wisdom flowed through his veins, he was determined to do the Lord's biddin'

One day, he got a message from the man above
"Nephi, go find that stone, it's what you're meant to do"
So Nephi hit the road, searchin' high and low
He knew he'd find it, he had faith, he couldn't be denied

Finally, after many days, he stumbled upon the stone
Engravings on it, he couldn't believe what he saw
The Lord's words, and a prime number that he'd never seen before
Nephi was in awe, but then something caught his eye

An Old One, ancient and terrifying
It emerged from the shadows, tentacles writhing
Nephi tried to run, but it was too late
The Old One swallowed him whole, and that was his fate

The stone was left behind, guarded by the creature of the night
Nephi's journey was over, but his faith remained bright
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:33 am
I'd respond but I'm black-holed. Just a warning that if you get too creative, you'll be put in some container that blocks you from asking just about anything entertaining. If I copy-paste Dr. Moore's and Everybody Wang Chung's questions it tells me it's inappropriate and can't fulfill the request. So I'll eventually need to use a VPN or another email or something and be more careful next time.
This is an unfortunate limitation. But I suppose beggars can’t be choosers.
Salvete
CTR A

Post by Salvete »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:08 pm
I think I tripped up the A.I. with this one, “Make a list about BYU in the style of Dr. Scratch’s Top 10 Happenings in Mopology.”

1. The Great Apologetic Debate of 2023: a heated argument between two Mormon apologists over the proper way to fold a mop.

2. The Mop-A-Thon for Apologetics: a 24-hour marathon of Mormon apologetic lectures, with breaks only for mop-cleaning and…
It does make sense. Mopology is logically the study of mops. Which makes a mopologist, of course, a mop expert. :lol:
From the end spring new beginnings.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Write a song in the language and style of the Beatles about discussmormonism.com

Verse 1:
I used to feel lost and confused
About my faith and my beliefs
I searched for answers everywhere
But nothing seemed to bring me relief

Chorus:
But then I found discussmormonism.com
It's a place where I can learn
About my religion and its history
It's a place where truth and wisdom burn

Verse 2:
I never thought I'd find a community
Of scholars and historians like this
But on discussmormonism.com
I found a place that I can't resist

Chorus:
Discussmormonism.com

Bridge:
It's a place where I can ask questions
And get answers that are true
It's a place where I can find support
And feel connected to the church anew

Chorus:
Discussmormonism.com

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:10 am
As a scientist, I am always interested in studying trends and patterns in human behavior and belief systems. Recently, I have observed a decline in the popularity of the Mormon religion, also known as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

According to recent data, the number of self-identified Mormons in the United States has decreased by approximately 17% over the past two decades.
Dr Moore, what recent data are you talking about? If you go to "https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/20 ... rapid-pace" you will see that it says, "The share of Americans who identify themselves as Mormons has held steady at 2% over the past decade." So if both reports are accurate, that means the 17% decline was entirely 1999 to 2019, which means that the second derivative of the number of Latter-day Saints is actually increasing.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:09 pm
Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:10 am
As a scientist, I am always interested in studying trends and patterns in human behavior and belief systems. Recently, I have observed a decline in the popularity of the Mormon religion, also known as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

According to recent data, the number of self-identified Mormons in the United States has decreased by approximately 17% over the past two decades.
Dr Moore, what recent data are you talking about? If you go to "https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/20 ... rapid-pace" you will see that it says, "The share of Americans who identify themselves as Mormons has held steady at 2% over the past decade." So if both reports are accurate, that means the 17% decline was entirely 1999 to 2019, which means that the second derivative of the number of Latter-day Saints is actually increasing.
Lol.
Thread Title wrote:A thread dedicated to A.I. debating the decline of Mormonism.
OP wrote:—— the text above is entirely original, generated by ChatGPT with the following prompt: “Write a brief post in the style of Neil deGrasse Tyson about the decline of Mormonism. Use no more than 200 words.”
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Is the number of Americans who identify themselves as Mormon increasing or decreasing during the last 20 years?

According to a report published by the Pew Research Center in 2019, the share of Americans who identify as Mormon has declined over the past 20 years. In 1999, the report states that about 2.4% of Americans identified as Mormon. By 2019, that number had declined to about 1.7%. However, it's important to note that this is just one way to measure the size of the Mormon population, and there could be other factors at play that could affect the overall size of the Mormon population, such as conversion rates, retention rates, and migration patterns.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014