I'm forced to say it's 'remarkable'

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Re: I'm forced to say it's 'remarkable'

Post by Doctor Scratch »

We have been given a gift here, and once again we are reminded why Dr. Robbers is The Dean.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

I look forward to reading this review, Dean Robbers.

Your title reminds me that, of all human inventions, the dry erase board is the most remarkable.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:11 pm
For Midgley to include the link in his footnote, but not be clear about the details, and then to conclude with this, below, is not scholarship in any way.

"Gee was obviously evil, and those opposed to him were happy — almost gleeful — to tell us why. The online book-burning was a rousing success, and fun was had by all."

:roll: Still no peer review at the Interpreter, clearly.
It looks like we are well on our way to a volume of quality reviews that do more justice to the conversation than Interpreter ever could! Kudos, Professor Marcus!
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

No Ma'an, That's Not a Book Review
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:24 pm
No Ma'an, That's Not a Book Review
:lol: clever.
Analytics
Elder

Post by Analytics »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:57 pm
...And so, my biggest criticism of his essay is that he doesn't sell me on his belief that Dr. Gee's book is 'remarkable.' It feels like he was forced to write it.
Dr. Midgley wrote:I have tossed out several earlier attempts to address the contents of each of its excellent chapters...
Let me get this straight. In 2020, an Egyptologist publishes a book about sociology, but BYU thinks it is substandard or otherwise problematic and "pulls it from publication" (whatever that means). It is now out of print, but if you look you can find a used or unsold copy somewhere.

Meanwhile, Dr. Midgely spends three years writing book reviews about it, despite no expertise in sociology and no basis to judge the strength of the book's arguments, other than counting footnotes.

These earlier attempts at book reviews were all rejected by Interpreter. But after three years of editing and rewrites, a review that meets Interpreter's standards of scholarly excelence is ready for publication.

And this is it.

Do I have that right?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Analytics wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:23 pm
Gadianton wrote:
...And so, my biggest criticism of his essay is that he doesn't sell me on his belief that Dr. Gee's book is 'remarkable.' It feels like he was forced to write it.
Let me get this straight. In 2020, an Egyptologist publishes a book about sociology, but BYU thinks it is substandard or otherwise problematic and "pulls it from publication" (whatever that means). It is now out of print, but if you look you can find a used or unsold copy somewhere.

Meanwhile, Dr. Midgely spends three years writing book reviews about it, despite no expertise in sociology and no basis to judge the strength of the book's arguments, other than counting footnotes.

These earlier attempts at book reviews were all rejected by Interpreter. But after three years of editing and rewrites, a review that meets Interpreter's standards of scholarly excelence is ready for publication.

And this is it.

Do I have that right?
And people wonder why we find DCP and his enterprises so fascinating.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Analytics wrote:
Gadianton wrote:

And this is it.

Do I have that right?
I haven’t seen evidence that he wrote previous versions of the review that were rejected. I do wonder if the draft review went through substantial revision prior to publication. (I also wonder why a revised version of Gee’s book hasn’t been published.)
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Tom wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:47 am
Analytics wrote:

And this is it.

Do I have that right?
I haven’t seen evidence that he wrote previous versions of the review that were rejected. I do wonder if the draft review went through substantial revision prior to publication. (I also wonder why a revised version of Gee’s book hasn’t been published.)
Well, he did say this, about elements of his review that are curiously missing:
I am, however, pleased that I have managed to have my review of a really excellent book by my friend, John Gee, finally in print. And also to have some of the story of how his excellent book was unpublished by the BYU Administration told with most of the ugly details set out, My essay sets out some of the silly and disgusting things that the current BYU Administration allowed or facilitated when they unpublished Professor Gee's wonderful book

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 6207610302
On the other hand, just because Midgley wrote it doesn't mean it really happened (see a few of his whoppers) so I would have to agree with your assessment that evidence, as people understand the word, is not available. :roll:
Analytics
Elder

Post by Analytics »

Tom wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:47 am
He did say, "I have tossed out several earlier attempts to address the contents..." Maybe he tossed them before submitting them. Or maybe not.