All 11 Megaplex Theaters To Pull Witnesses On Thursday

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: All 11 Megaplex Theaters To Pull Witnesses On Thursday

Post by Philo Sofee »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:51 pm
I feel like I did a disservice to the film by not predicting some of the pitfalls and warning SeN about it.

Here is the movie description on IMDB:
For nearly 200 years, skeptics and critics have been trying to explain away what many Book of Mormon witnesses stated-that they had seen angels and hefted golden metal plates containing ancient inscriptions.
that's a terrible way to promote the film to non-members. good heavens.
Oh my good gadfry... who on earth thought up that description?! Ayiyi, so much for them to learn, so little time...
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:45 pm
Unless something changes, Thursday will be the last day all Megaplex Theaters are showing "Witnesses."

I wonder if the other theaters will follow suit or if they stop showing the film sooner?

I wish I knew more about the movie industry. Is this normal, good news or bad news?
Frankly, I am disappointed. I hope this isn't true. I was hoping to see the film during my July trip to Utah. I wanted to see this on the big screen. Now I will be stuck streaming it as a rental through Amazon vel sim. Ugh.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:45 pm
Unless something changes, Thursday will be the last day all Megaplex Theaters are showing "Witnesses."

I wonder if the other theaters will follow suit or if they stop showing the film sooner?

I wish I knew more about the movie industry. Is this normal, good news or bad news?
This is very typical. I am a fan of rock and roll documentary movies about Journey, Motley Crue, Rush, etc. They'll roll the movies out for a day, or three days, to the big megaplex theaters and then pull them.

There's a guy in my old ward who was a studio exec. He made animated films. They'd run for a couple of days and then adios. To video.

I went to see a great indie movie in a megaplex last week; Dream Horse, about a race horse syndicate organized by a Welsh town. It lasted a week. Great flick but hard for my ears to understand Welsh English.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:55 pm
This is very typical. I am a fan of rock and roll documentary movies about Journey, Motley Crue, Rush, etc. They'll roll the movies out for a day, or three days, to the big megaplex theaters and then pull them.

There's a guy in my old ward who was a studio exec. He made animated films. They'd run for a couple of days and then adios. To video.
Oh well. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. It was unrealistic to think I could see it in July.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:38 pm

Ouch! Also keep in mind that those box office proceeds have to be shared with the movie theater. The total amount that the movie has made is probably closer to $40,000.
Dr Moore wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:17 pm
I believe exhibition will take 30-50% depending on the studio relationship.
Will the distributor also be taking a cut?
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

For a tiny, niche movie like "Witnesses", this probably isn't unexpected. You always hope you've got the next "Blair Witch Project" on your hands, but I guess it isn't to be.

But it looks like there's a movie about Emma coming out in August. It's quite a unique take on the story. But they spelled her name wrong in the trailer.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Shulem wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:42 pm
The whole movie was a dumb idea in the first place. Stoopid.

That's my take.
The movie will be shown to LDS seminary and institute classes for years to come. I am hoping it finally comes to YouTube.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

Ramus_Stein wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:54 pm
I mean, how can you take a story about angels, gold books, and treasure diggers and make it sound completely boring? Let an apologist describe it to you.
Excellent.

Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Kishkumen wrote: Oh well. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. It was unrealistic to think I could see it in July.
What if we arrange a private viewing in the home theatre of one of the producers? I hear has 8K.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Sledge wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:39 pm
Kishkumen wrote: Oh well. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. It was unrealistic to think I could see it in July.
What if we arrange a private viewing in the home theatre of one of the producers? I hear has 8K.
If you can pull that off, I am game. That would be amazing.