Des News - Believers Finding God in Science

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Des News - Believers Finding God in Science

Post by _Maksutov »

Milesius wrote:
DrW wrote:Right you are, Ludwig. The "necessary being", or "prime mover" or "first cause" argument that some theologians and lay religionists try to use as evidence for (or even proof of) the existence of a supernatural creator god is, nowadays, DOA (Dead on Arrival).

That is false.

I'd like to hear more. Do you think that the Big Bang could be considered God? Why or why not?
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Milesius
_Emeritus

Post by _Milesius »

DrW wrote:Claiming "Partial overlap" is like claiming to be partially pregnant.

This Seinfeld episode was on the other night lol.
Caeli enarrant gloriam Dei
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Maksutov wrote:
I'd like to hear more. Do you think that the Big Bang could be considered God? Why or why not?

Once Sheldon got a girlfriend I realized he was human so I no longer consider the Big Bang Godly. :lol:
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Milesius
_Emeritus

Post by _Milesius »

Maksutov wrote:

Hi there. DrW claimed:

DrW wrote:The "necessary being", or "prime mover" or "first cause" argument...is, nowadays, DOA (Dead on Arrival).

Now, with respect to necessary being arguments, there is more than one type. There are modal ontological arguments and the cosmological argument from contingency. I believe it is the latter that DrW had in mind (although he is probably conflating arguments he does not appear to be familiar with) but, in either case, his claim that they are dead on arrival is false.
Caeli enarrant gloriam Dei
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Maksutov wrote:

Once Sheldon got a girlfriend I realized he was human so I no longer consider the Big Bang Godly. :lol:

At least he gave us Bazinga!
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Milesius wrote:
Maksutov wrote:

Hi there. DrW claimed:

Well, that's DrW. I would like to hear what your response would be to what I asked.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

nc47 wrote:You keep questioning my scientific credentials, and I don't really care. I'm trained to understand (and solve, if applicable) scientific models across physics, geology, chemistry, ecology, neuroscience, endocrinology, and infectious diseases (I might have forgotten some model in a different field). I don't question the sincerity in your claim to be a scientist, but the way you define "science" I sometimes wonder if it amounts to something comparable to basketweaving.

You keep questioning others including DrW. You are even arrogant enough to only want to engage those you think are close to your imagined Intellectual level. I don't care what your credentials are, only what your argument is. by the way what you list above doesn't really answer what formal education you obtained. Not that I am asking.

I have reason to wonder. I have never seen a hard scientist defend linguistics as a science.

Maybe you should get out more. It's not a hard science, but it is a scientific discipline.

http://ling.yale.edu/
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/linguistics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistics

You, on the other hand, are 80% rhetoric and 20% substance (that's relatively impressive; the rest of this board is closer to 99-1).
"You're embarassing yourself."
"You don't understand population genetics."
"That is some crappy apologetics."

That shows you have no confidence in what you say. All the points that you brought up are either not scientific questions, obvious metaphors, or something the Church doesn't teach (as much as you wish it did). Except the Lamanite DNA problem.

Maybe you should stop the hypocrisy

"you are clueless about Mormons and evolution."
"So the way you espouse a fringe, wacky view combined with your melodramatic tone makes you sound foolish."
"As soon as someone who knows something comes in, I'll have a chance to strut my stuff." :rolleyes: