Mormon at ages 11, 15, 24 is really Joseph Smith Jr., in disguise!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Mormon at ages 11, 15, 24 is really Joseph Smith Jr., in disguise!

Post by Kishkumen »

Thanks for sharing all of this great work on the Book of Mormon, Shulem. Oh, and I am jealous that you saw LZ live!
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Moksha
God

Re: Take your pick:

Post by Moksha »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:44 pm
I tend to think that 99% of unbelievers will take a rational approach and chalk up this parallel as an obvious fantasy concocted by someone creating fiction for their own amusement.
Authors are always told to write what they know. Joseph knew his own life.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Shulem
God

Re: King Aaron

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:54 pm
It's hard to imagine a Lamanite king being named after Moses's brother. I don't buy it!

I can't resist and must provide a little more criticism for Smith's name selection of a Lamanite king who was said to possess an army of 44,000 (nice round number) and warred against the Nephites under young Mormon's command of 42,000 soldiers. Mormon later explained how fierce the Lamanites were in practicing idolatry on a horrific scale. The Lamanites in their extreme idolatry offered innocent women and children as sacrifices to their idol gods. Lamanite idolatry throughout Book of Mormon times (Enos 1:20; Mosiah 9:12; etc.) was an apostate religion that rejected the Law of Moses originally instituted by Lehi and later the prevalent Christian religion of the Nephites.

Why did Smith incorporate the name "Aaron" into Lamanite tradition? It makes no sense that a Lamanite king would bear that name! It's out of context because how hardly can it be supported by Lamanite culture and tradition like the names Laman and Lamoni who were prominent Lamanite kings. Aaron sticks out like a sore thumb and remains an academic red flag to this day. Ultimately, it's an anachronism!

Aaron = Latin
Ἀαρών (Aarṓn) = Ancient Greek
הֲרֹן‎ (ʾAhărōn) = Hebrew

Perhaps Philo Sofee can weigh in and confirm the anachronism on a scholarly basis. It seems to me the Hebrew version of the name should have existed in the brass plates and the "h" would have naturally been incorporated and maintained in the name throughout Book of Mormon times.

I want Philo Sofee and I want him now :!:

We want Philo!
We want Philo!
We want Philo!
Last edited by Shulem on Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:54 am
Thanks for sharing all of this great work on the Book of Mormon, Shulem. Oh, and I am jealous that you saw LZ live!

You are most welcome and I'm glad you are enjoying my little presentation. I do hope Philo Sofee chimes in because he's been ponderizing for a while now...

1977 was a great year for me:

1. Led Zeppelin in concert
2. Tutankhamun exhibit in Seattle Museum of Art
3. Star Wars!
Shulem
God

Re: Take your pick:

Post by Shulem »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:58 pm
Shulem wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:44 pm
I tend to think that 99% of unbelievers will take a rational approach and chalk up this parallel as an obvious fantasy concocted by someone creating fiction for their own amusement.
Authors are always told to write what they know. Joseph knew his own life.
I suspect there is a growing movement in Mormonism to shift the Book of Mormon into inspired fiction for the purpose of increasing faith in Christ, establish Joseph Smith's authority, and earn the Smith family some money. The bottom line is always the bottom line. Money and power!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Shulem wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:05 pm
You are most welcome and I'm glad you are enjoying my little presentation. I do hope Philo Sofee chimes in because he's been ponderizing for a while now...

3. Star Wars!
That IS a great year, an annus mirabilis!
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Shulem
God

King Moses?

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:52 pm
Why did Smith incorporate the name "Aaron" into Lamanite tradition? It makes no sense that a Lamanite king would bear that name! It's out of context because how hardly can it be supported by Lamanite culture and tradition like the names Laman and Lamoni who were prominent Lamanite kings.

Come to think of it, I'd also have a problem if idolatrous Lamanite kings bore the names of other pious persons mentioned on the Nephite plates. For example:
  • Lamanite king Moses!
  • Lamanite king Jesus!

Let my people go wrote:
White and delightsome king Nephi makes peace with dark, loathsome, and filthy Lamanite king Moses!Image
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:18 pm
Shulem wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:05 pm

3. Star Wars!
That IS a great year, an annus mirabilis!
It was the year I entered high school!
Shulem
God

By any other name...

Post by Shulem »

King Aaron wrote: I swear by the gods, I'll kill prophet Mormon and drink his blood as well as all filthy Christians who refuse to bow before my idol gods! I king Aaron am the son of king Moses who was the son of king Jesus who ruled the land of my fathers!

Death to the Nephites and their one god!

And so you see, that's why Lamanite kings were named after holy men of the Bible. It was a kind of type and shadow, if you can believe it.

;)
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:24 pm
It was the year I entered high school!
A historic year for many reasons, then!