Meaning and Existence

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Tarski wrote:Are you not aware of the logical problems associated with the notion of the absolute 'all".
There is always a potentially larger context. This is related to the idea that there is no "set of all sets".

Oh come on. What about the set of all sets that do not contain themselves, let alone the barber who shaves everyone who does not shave himself, Goedel's theorem(s), and the Turing/Chruch Halting theorem?

Maybe we could just call things categories instead of sets? ;)
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Russell's paradox is the most famous of the logical or set-theoretical paradoxes. The paradox arises within naïve set theory by considering the set of all sets that are not members of themselves. Such a set appears to be a member of itself if and only if it is not a member of itself, hence the paradox.

Some sets, such as the set of all teacups, are not members of themselves. Other sets, such as the set of all non-teacups, are members of themselves. Call the set of all sets that are not members of themselves "R." If R is a member of itself, then by definition it must not be a member of itself. Similarly, if R is not a member of itself, then by definition it must be a member of itself. Discovered by Bertrand Russell in 1901, the paradox has prompted much work in logic, set theory and the philosophy and foundations of mathematics.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/russell-paradox/
The face of sin today often wears the mask of tolerance.

- Thomas S. Monson
_amantha
_Emeritus

Post by _amantha »

Coggins7 wrote:
You speak as if the world "must" have transcendent, teleological meaning.

No, I'm not saying it must (though I believe it must and does) have meaning. My whole argument here is essentially tautological: If the universe doesn't have meaning, then, well, it doesn't.

I disagree. If the universe is meaningless then it can still have meaning if I want it to. My wanting is meaningful to me at least for the time that I am a "me." Beyond that, what does it matter to me, unless my me-ness persists and I don't know that it does, although I personally believe it does. But this faith of mine is designed to help me find meaning and happiness now--not if and when I persist beyond the grave.

The universe may not be without an inherent teleology. We don't know--yet--unless we believe we do.

Wait...I think you mean to say that you don't know, isn't that correct?

I mean to say that the universe may have built in purposefulness and that, yes, I am agnostic of the fact. But believing can also be construed as a meaningful kind of "knowing," for the purposes of happiness. So if I don't know in an objectively provable sense I can still "know" for my own purposes and so the question becomes moot for the sake of discussion. Thus I don't need Mormonism or Scientism to make me happy. My belief is all I need--as long as it works.[/b]
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

I disagree. If the universe is meaningless then it can still have meaning if I want it to. My wanting is meaningful to me at least for the time that I am a "me." Beyond that, what does it matter to me, unless my me-ness persists and I don't know that it does, although I personally believe it does. But this faith of mine is designed to help me find meaning and happiness now--not if and when I persist beyond the grave.

Why persist going around this dead carcass yet again. This is the end for me on this thread.

If the universe is meaningless then it can still have meaning between your ears and in no other meaningful or relevant way. The frog is in the well, and outside the well, an abyssal void of nothingness.

In other words, once again, all the meaning you can concoct is a fantasy over against the reality of ontological meaninglessness. If and when you persist beyond the grave, the Gospel of Jesus Christ would have prepared you, conditioned you and capacitated you for that transition and what lay beyond. You choose to reject that knowledge now in the hope that all will somehow, over the rainbow, just work out.

What you will find, however, is a relative level of damnation; the stopping or restricting of your further progression beyond certain limits that you yourself imposed upon yourself in this life.

The Book of Revelation says the he that overcometh will "inherit all things". Why turn that down so you can keep pretending that somehow there's no way to know greater truths?
The face of sin today often wears the mask of tolerance.

- Thomas S. Monson
_amantha
_Emeritus

Post by _amantha »

Coggins7 wrote:

Why persist going around this dead carcass yet again. This is the end for me on this thread.

If the universe is meaningless then it can still have meaning between your ears and in no other meaningful or relevant way. The frog is in the well, and outside the well, an abyssal void of nothingness.

It may have more meaning than that which is "between my ears." I am simply not aware of it yet. Between science and my working hypothesis that there is something more, I am happy in the belief that the more will become clear(er) to me in my lifetime. But that is simply my faith.

In other words, once again, all the meaning you can concoct (???) is a fantasy over against the reality (possible reality) of ontological meaninglessness. If and when you persist beyond the grave, the Gospel of Jesus Christ would have prepared you, conditioned you and capacitated you for that transition and what lay beyond. You choose to reject that knowledge now in the hope that all will somehow, over the rainbow, just work out.

You choose to believe this. Why? Could it be because you believe it will bring you happiness?

What you will find, however, is a relative level of damnation; the stopping or restricting of your further progression beyond certain limits that you yourself imposed upon yourself in this life.

Your belief requires you to believe that this line of thinking must apply to me. I understand that. Otherwise you wouldn't really believe in your faith. Faith is hope and hope is the precursor for happiness.

The Book of Revelation says the he that overcometh will "inherit all things". Why turn that down so you can keep pretending that somehow there's no way to know greater truths?

Greater truths may yet be known. That is actually the crux of my own faith. But as of now, I conceive of truth as serving as a guide for my happiness. What could be more important than my happiness (to me)? So if you are happy with your faith, that is the crucial aspect of meaning. Atheists who would disuade you from your faith only do so because they believe that their beliefs are the "right" way. And the "right" way always has primarily to do with happiness. Otherwise what would be right about it? Their faith requires them to believe that you would be happier if you truly believed the way they do. Even Dawkins seeks his truth for his own comfort, otherwise he wouldn't do it. Something about the way he searches for truth makes him "happy."

In a marketplace of ideas we buy that which we value the most. Value is a complicated thing. But I thing the highest value is the "pursuit of happiness."
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Coggins7 wrote:If the universe is meaningless then it can still have meaning between your ears and in no other meaningful or relevant way. The frog is in the well, and outside the well, an abyssal void of nothingness.

In other words, once again, all the meaning you can concoct is a fantasy over against the reality of ontological meaninglessness. If and when you persist beyond the grave, the Gospel of Jesus Christ would have prepared you, conditioned you and capacitated you for that transition and what lay beyond. You choose to reject that knowledge now in the hope that all will somehow, over the rainbow, just work out.

Emphasis added. Coggins, do you really believe that atheists/agnostics have some fairytale of what happens after death? Or is it that we reject hell that makes it a fantasy?

What say you to those that desperately seek God and still do not feel His presence? I find that you are so flippant when you talk about non-belief. I'm certain I'm not in the minority when I say I WISH there was more. I wish there was God. I wish he was a presence on this earth and in all of our hearts. For you to suggest that the view I hold as being "over the rainbow" thinking is not accurate. I grieve that God is not present. I don't turn God down. If he exists he will not allow me to know Him!
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Coggins the now somewhat fluffy monster (see - evolution is true!):

This is the end for me on this thread.

"... 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd..."
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

This strikes me as one more protest from human beings who cannot tolerate the idea of a universe that does not have human beings at its center. Each time science eliminates yet one more human-centric notion, the wail goes up. At least people are no longer burned at the stake.

Aside from that observation, it seems to me that this is a significant problem for Mormonism in that it traditionally teaches that God is bound by eternal laws, which are fixed outside of his control. If he violates those laws, he, himself, would no longer be “god”.

So where did these eternal, fixed laws originate?
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Beastie

Post by _Gazelam »

Where do laws originate?

Where does cause and effect originate? God knows the eventual result of every cause and effect, and lives after the manner of happiness. The great plan of salvation is not just a grand experiment.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Where do laws originate?

Where does cause and effect originate? God knows the eventual result of every cause and effect, and lives after the manner of happiness. The great plan of salvation is not just a grand experiment.

This doesn't help Coggins and ALITD, who claim that MEANING can't just "be", but has to be bestowed by an actual creator.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com