DCP: Homophobia is "a nonsense word."

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: DCP: Homophobia is "a nonsense word."

Post by _I have a question »

Why does the University of Utah continue to play a school that has blatant homophobic policies? These policies are harming our children. If the University of Utah continues to look the other way, why are the students of the University of Utah not demanding action? It’s time that we stop looking the other way. Allowing that team down south to come into our stadiums, fields and arenas is implicit support of their destructive and harmful homophobic policies. Please, U. of U., take action. Let’s get on the right side of history. This story will be told someday and this is our chance to do the right thing.

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/letters/ ... d-protest/

In 1968, in protest of the LDS church’s racists policies, seven San Jose football players refused to play BYU in football. The San Jose State basketball team also boycotted BYU because of the LDS church’s racist policies. In 1969, students at the University of Wyoming demonstrated against BYU and the “Black 14” were kicked off the football team for attempting to wear black armbands in protest of BYU. Protests continued at many schools, including the University of Utah. Stanford and other prominent schools dropped BYU from their future sports schedules. Not coincidentally and in very large part due to the student and school protests and boycotts, in 1978 the LDS church took a large step forward in changing its racist policies.

The lesson from history is - if you want BYU to change its policies, boycott it until it does.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

If someone were to begin posting patently anti-LDS and anti-semitic comments at SeN, with a signature line that says *all comments are satire*, would the proprietor give a free pass to post such things in perpetuity?
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Dr Moore wrote:If someone were to begin posting patently anti-LDS and anti-semitic comments at SeN, with a signature line that says *all comments are satire*, would the proprietor give a free pass to post such things in perpetuity?
The best question of the day! The man was born with foot in mouth and only taken out when he reads this board.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Allison Phillips Belnap previously served as the assistant dean of the law school, but after multiple suicide attempts, she finally quit and came out as a lesbian. She said she’s known since she was 12-years-old that she was a lesbian, but still got married and had multiple children, because “what you learn in the church is that’s just not acceptable.”

“I feel the need to speak out because I think I am uniquely positioned as someone who’s had a lot of experience from inside the organization at BYU and has had a lot of close inner interaction with the administration at BYU to understand some of the things that are going on there,” she said.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/ex-mor ... ster-fire/

“To engender that kind of hope, and then this feeling of yeah, we can be acceptable, yes, we can belong somewhere, and then to just sort of rip that away or rip that out from underneath someone, it’s cruel. I think it’s violent. I think it’s a horrific thing to do to somebody,” Belnap explained.

She told students to keep protesting and keep pushing the University.

“I think there’s definitely a feeling of activism and I think there’s a feeling of, we’re not going to sit through this,” she went on. “I haven’t seen students gathering like this to make their voices heard in a way that that is this meaningful. I’m inspired by that. But I also think we can’t leave them alone in that. They need allies from the outside saying, you know, we’re with you, and you’re right in protesting this.”

“Nobody wants you to live immersed in shame and feeling like you’re worthless, and you can’t reach your potential that way. So, take the next step, even though it’s scary, and find that authenticity and find the place where find the place where you can live that way and find your authentic self and, and reside in that sort of power,” she said.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Dr Moore wrote:If someone were to begin posting patently anti-LDS and anti-semitic comments at SeN, with a signature line that says *all comments are satire*, would the proprietor give a free pass to post such things in perpetuity?

I imagine Dr. Midgley would want to make a Smokey road trip. Maybe teach him a thing or two about nonsense words and the sting of the Gospel.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

moksha wrote:

I imagine Dr. Midgley would want to make a Smokey road trip. Maybe teach him a thing or two about nonsense words and the sting of the Gospel.

Indeed, Smokey has surfaced over on "Sic et Non," where he was given a tentative warm welcome from Dr. Peterson (having "Dr." in your screen name is grounds for a warning evidently, but past evidence of hardcore anti-Semitism is apparently okay, so long as it doesn't surface in "the living room"). Still, this post of his:

Smokey wrote:Dr. Midgley,

I want to take this opportunity to thank you *publicly* for your lifetime of service. There is an entire generation of YOUNG, faithful LDS who would line up behind you without hesitation.

...was downvoted by Dr. Midgley! I would imagine that support for Smokey on "SeN" will, however, be quite strong overall. Kiwi57, for example, has consistently upvoted his posts.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Maybe I will keep on reading SeN and perhaps commenting. Act One: Smokey tries to show that he isn't DCP and Midge down-votes him with a loud minus heard across Mormon boards.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Holy cow.

DanielPeterson > Moksha

6 hours ago

As long as Smokey behaves here, Smokey is welcome to post here.

Please don't try to import issues from your board to my blog.

Mr. Peterson openly welcomes an avowed White supremacist Jew-hating homosexual-hating racist to his blog despite KNOWING about Smokey’s posting history here. BYU PROFESSOR.

This is, uh, really something. It really puts Mr. Peterson’s lynching joke into perspective.

Huh.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Doc, notice this opening line from Smokes:

"Over on (in real life deleted) Mike Quinn Message board..."

got upvotes from Kiwi and several others.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Holy cow.

DanielPeterson > Moksha

6 hours ago

As long as Smokey behaves here, Smokey is welcome to post here.

Please don't try to import issues from your board to my blog.

Mr. Peterson openly welcomes an avowed White supremacist Jew-hating homosexual-hating racist to his blog despite KNOWING about Smokey’s posting history here. BYU PROFESSOR.

This is, uh, really something. It really puts Mr. Peterson’s lynching joke into perspective.

Huh.

- Doc

To follow up, Peterson considers this to be “well-behaved”?

Smokey 2 days ago

Incidentally, a particularly nasty *anti-Mormon* moderator on [personal information deleted] message board has just reported having “the flu.”

To respect his faith in Scientism, I will NOT be praying about this.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 4832921819

You find that acceptable, Peterson? Shame on you.