Chap wrote:Hmm, I see that the Reverend is going into 'disagree with me persistently and I shall go into meltdown and start swearing' mode.
Chap, cut the crap. I am not buying your sudden ascent to the lofty ground of the enlightened sage. If you want to take a piss, take a piss, but don't imagine that the rest of us are too stupid to figure it out, or that somehow we are blinded by our own arrogance to react naïvely to whatever games you are playing.
Chap wrote:My point is simply and solely this. We are agreed (aren't we?) that scriptural status is conferred on a text simply by the fact that a given community regards it as having that status. The status describes a relationship between a text and a community, not a property inherent in the text. For members of the community who have been fully socialized into it (usually as children), the text becomes a vehicle for all the most important non-rational elements of their lives. For non-members the text may well seem (at best) mildly ridiculous.
In raising the example of Cat in the Hat, you suggest that the reason for investing in a text to confer scriptural status upon it is utterly arbitrary. I don't accept that, and I await the brilliant argument that shows this is the case. "Look! I made up a cute story about a cat! Now let me go find some stupid people to believe in this!"
Chap wrote:Now we are getting the "How dare you disagree with me. I am a COLLEGE PROFESSOR, and you are not" mode, plus the attribution of attitudes and expressions to me that are not mine. In the first place, I don't do in real life, so the Reverend has no way of knowing whether I am a destitute crack whore typing on a computer in a public library with the help of a literate client whom I reward later with extra free tricks, or even (O summit of power, prestige and felicity!) a college professor.
Yeah, and I don't really care. Because I still find your perspective on this to be stupid. And I am not too coy to admit it. You could be a Nobel Prize winning scientist. I don't care for Richard Dawkins' views on religion, and I think yours are generally on par with that level of arrogance and shallowness.
So, you see, I am not pulling rank because I am, contrary to your assumption, smart enough to know that I have no idea whether I really would be pulling rank or not. I am simply being honest, and I am sharing a fact that is generally well known on this board. I genuinely care about the things I claim to care about, and I am honest about the fact that I care about them. And this is why I disagree with you, not because I assume that referring to my profession will elicit hushed tones of reverence, especially from you.
Chap wrote:In the second place, I said that the beliefs of TBMs were false. I did not call them stupid. Some TBMs seem to be quite highly educated and intelligent people (even college professors), as are, for instance, some Catholics or Muslims who believe whole-heartedly in a fully dogmatic form of their religion. I just think they are wrong.
I also do not see any obvious reason why the Reverend's system of belief, whatever it may be, has to be regarded as in some way superior to theirs or more interesting. That seems to annoy the Reverend a lot. But I can live with that.
Now we see what pulling rank is all about. The serene heights of Chap's wisdom.
Ave!
("I never said they were stupid, but I consistently imply that they are. Let no one think they can pin it on me, though."~Chap)
I am glad you have had some fun in the thread, Chap. I know when I am being trolled, and I still think you are a dick for doing it.
"Whatever it may be." Ha!
Or, in your case, whatever it may not be, because that is the way you really get the rhetorical upper hand these days.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist