The obvious question

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Re: The obvious question

Post by _Chap »

mentalgymnast wrote: ... the church as a whole, will benefit at a macro level

Yes, the church will certainly benefit by ensuring that there is nobody in it who has had the experience of living with gay parents without both abandoning and denouncing them. Everybody will feel much better.

mentalgymnast wrote:... at the micro level things will gradually come back to some sort of homeostasis or new normal.

The micro level? Oh, you mean actual people affected directly in their family relationships, and their experience (from the age of 8 upwards) of exclusion from their age-group's normal participation in Jesus's only true church on earth. That micro-level.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Runtu wrote:I was dismayed at his quoting a really bad piece defending the policy, as well as his weird misunderstanding of why people like me think the policy is so outrageous.

I don't misunderstand you. I empathize with where you're coming from. I have some of the same misapprehensions of motives, etc. I'm simply trying to put it all in some kind of context that fits within a logical faith paradigm. Not saying that it's easy. :smile:

Regards,
MG
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

mentalgymnast wrote: a logical faith paradigm

"Daddy, what does 'word salad' mean?"
"It doesn't mean anything, sweetheart."
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Chap wrote:
mentalgymnast wrote: ... the church as a whole, will benefit at a macro level

Yes, the church will certainly benefit by ensuring that there is nobody in it who has had the experience of living with gay parents without both abandoning and denouncing them. Everybody will feel much better.

mentalgymnast wrote:... at the micro level things will gradually come back to some sort of homeostasis or new normal.

The micro level? Oh, you mean actual people affected directly in their family relationships, and their experience (from the age of 8 upwards) of exclusion from their age-group's normal participation in Jesus's only true church on earth. That micro-level.

Mormons, like every other human population, will go on producing LGBT children. They can drive them out but it will never be over, it comes with each new generation. A recipe for an endless inquisition and divided families. Hey, kind of like polygamy!

Looks like righteous suicide to me. Self inflicted. Sad for the sorrows of those leaving but leaving abuse is a positive step.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

mentalgymnast wrote:
sock puppet wrote:Please link me to the post where you identified the people hurt and the type of people that this policy advantages. I must have not seen that one.

Earlier in the thread...I think it was this one or one of the others dealing with this issue(don't have time to look it up right now, other things going on in real life)...I had talked about what the brethren see as going on and will go on at the macro and micro level. At the micro level, on the ground...people you and I know...there are going to be some folks that are hurt and experience disillusionment, etc. At the macro level they see a gradual evening out with things settling back to a 'new' normal where the policy pushes the church into more of a black/white position on the SSM issue. Kids will adjust...and so on. I'm not saying it's all pretty. The brethren see the long range collateral damage as being less than the short term problems. And the problems that come up 'in between the lines', so to speak, will be taken care of at that micro level.

So, the people downstream...meaning the church as a whole, will benefit at a macro level and at the micro level things will gradually come back to some sort of homeostasis or new normal.

Regards,
MG

So it might make homophobic TBMs more comfortable to know that they are not sitting next to gay people in the LDS pews, and that outweighs the need for saving ordinances to innocent children just because they live with gay cohabiting parent(s). Got it. But, I don't think that such is Christian, nor that the scales balance here in favor of making that policy. I think it is just institutional homophobia, with the "sins" or "apostasy" of the parent visited upon the heads of the child.

Have I mentioned lately how damn glad I am that got out of the LDS think bubble more than three decades ago? Well, I am damn glad!
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Runtu wrote:
Ceeboo wrote:Of course he is!
Who wouldn't be?

People who say "the brethren are always right, and it's my job to find out why."

That's exactly why I find his quote to be impressive.

He is owning his "struggle" - and has done so to all of us - on the freaking MDB!!!!

For that alone, I tip my hat to him.

He is in a very tough spot, friends.

Peace,
Ceeboo

Of course he is. Like you, I give him a lot of credit for wrestling with this, especially coming here and talking about it.

Hey Runtu,

Your thoughts on my post over on the other thread...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39868

A bit of a twist I've been mulling over while out at work this afternoon.

Regards,
MG
_palerobber
_Emeritus

Post by _palerobber »

because they thought no one was watching?