Elder Jensen Apologizes for Prop 8

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Re: Elder Jensen Apologizes for Prop 8

Post by _MsJack »

There has been quite a bit of critique around the Bloggernacle concerning the use of Elder Jensen's words:

http://timesandseasons.org/index.php/20 ... criticism/

http://www.faithpromotingrumor.com/2010 ... d-moments/

The latter thread is unfolding into a fair share of drama.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Trevor
_Emeritus

Post by _Trevor »

MsJack wrote:http://www.faithpromotingrumor.com/2010/09/elder-jensen-and-the-exploitation-of-the-sacred-moments/

The latter thread is unfolding into a fair share of drama.

What a soap opera. Truly sad.

What kind of amazes me here is that people are actually arguing that the LDS Church has not been moved by publicity.

Where have these people been? If anything, the LDS Church has taught its members that it is very open to the influence of the media.

No offense here, but:

Why did President Hinckley represent the doctrine of divinization so oddly, if the Church is unconcerned with publicity?

Why has Buckley Jeppsen not been brought in for a disciplinary council?

Indeed, the Church has unwittingly trained activists and critics in the most effective means of getting it to do or not do something.

And in this case, what in the hell is the big deal? Am I to believe that LDS leaders and members are so tender that they cannot withstand the possibility that people will find that some of them are compassionate human beings behind closed doors?

PLEASE. All of these anti-Dehlin crybabies are making a mountain out of a molehill. The guy jumped the gun out of his excitement that the Church might be doing something he could enthusiastically stand behind.

He misread the situation. And then he rightly concluded that something good might come out of it. How do we know this was not unreasonable of him? Buckley. Other names could be added to that list.

Did this mean that he was so unreasonable as to believe that the Church would reverse its policy overnight? No. But, hey, it might have provided a little encouragement in that direction. What awful things would occur if the world were to see a compassionate GA commiserating with those who suffer under the current Church policies? You can't tell me it is completely crazy of him to think that.

What this demonstrates to me is that John Dehlin was guilty of being an optimist.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Noticed one response at MAD was that such an apology never occurred and if it had there would be mention of it on the Church's website.

Totally unrelated question: Are offices such as Church Historian, called and sustained during General Conferences?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace