Bokovoy: Half of DCP's Pay Comes from the Maxwell Institute

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Bokovoy: Half of DCP's Pay Comes from the Maxwell Instit

Post by _Kishkumen »

toon wrote:In fairness (if that) to DCP, he claims to have not listened to the podcast and was responding to someone else's summary. Do you think Midge would also tell him the context, or even the nice things David said about him?

I get what you are saying, but I have a difficult time getting around the decision to rely on someone else's report to slam a former student and friend in such cool and unfeeling terms.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:It seems to me that DocCam has hit upon the real nugget here. If DCP was paid by BYU to do MI apologetics in the Review, what in the heck is this editor’s fee?

Reverend: I would imagine that a good share of the “50% buyout” would have been connected to METI (which I’m sure helps to explain why his home “slot” agreed to the buyout). But yes: I’m curious about the “editor’s fee,” too. Perhaps over the course of the years, he saved up that extra money, and now he’s spending it on exotic vacations?

I'm skeptical that he's travelling to Australia to give an apologetic presentation on his own dime.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Kishkumen wrote:
toon wrote:In fairness (if that) to DCP, he claims to have not listened to the podcast and was responding to someone else's summary. Do you think Midge would also tell him the context, or even the nice things David said about him?

I get what you are saying, but I have a difficult time getting around the decision to rely on someone else's report to slam a former student and friend in such cool and unfeeling terms.

Well, if you look at his latest blog entry he seems to be in fine form, Reverend.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Well, if you look at his latest blog entry he seems to be in fine form, Reverend.

I have no idea what that is about. I don’t recall writing those words. It would be odd if I did, given the fact that I am not an atheist but a pantheist and I do believe that mind penetrates the cosmos. Maybe I thought differently at the time? I don’t think my views have changed so considerably in 3 years. I do agree that he would see me as a person “spewing contempt” at him for 9 years. Maybe he can email me and show me these unkind words. I simply do not recall writing this.

If I did, I stand corrected. I agree with him, and I am not the least bit ashamed to admit error or agreement with someone with whom I often disagree.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Kishkumen wrote:I have no idea what that is about. I don’t recall writing those words. It would be odd if I did, given the fact that I am not an atheist but a pantheist and I do believe that mind penetrates the cosmos. Maybe I thought differently at the time? I don’t think my views have changed so considerably in 3 years. I do agree that he would see me as a person “spewing contempt” at him for 9 years. Maybe he can email me and show me these unkind words. I simply do not recall writing this.

If I did, I stand corrected. I agree with him, and I am not the least bit ashamed to admit error or agreement with someone with whom I often disagree.
I suspect he was referring to our DrW.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Xenophon wrote:I suspect he was referring to our DrW.

That just makes it worse since Dr. with is one of the more cogent posters I've seen on any forum.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Wasn't Dr. Peterson being a professor of ancient Near Eastern studies the reason the Middle East Text Initiative was part of the Maxwell Institute? It certainly wasn't a related component to Mormon studies or apologetics.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

dup
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Xenophon wrote:I suspect he was referring to our DrW.

Oops!

:redface:
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

If it's any consolation I thought he was talking about you, since he has interacted with you far more than he has the good Dr. with.

- Doc