Shulem challenges RFM’s magical powers

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Shulem challenges RFM’s magical powers

Post by Moksha »

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:44 am
As an aside, it's my hope that one day Consigliere will abandon that UPSTART crow from Stratford and join us Oxfordians. But I digress...
Imagined Consiglieri: "Alas Gabriel, starting is such sweet sorrow. I shall sleep till noon and part tomorrow."
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

consiglieri wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:32 am
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:48 am
Please continue with the word studies, however. It is good data and interesting in its own right for sure. But I will tell you that your bizarre crowing and ugly insults about inanimate objects and Joseph Smith get old.

That said, I know you do all of this self-stimulation to get your own rocks off, and you won’t let me spoil your exhibitionism.

Gabriel
Deacon

Post by Gabriel »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:12 am
Gabriel wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:44 am
As an aside, it's my hope that one day Consigliere will abandon that UPSTART crow from Stratford and join us Oxfordians. But I digress...
Imagined Consiglieri: "Alas Gabriel, starting is such sweet sorrow. I shall sleep till noon and part tomorrow."
Imagined Gabriel's reply: "Good Luck getting sleep should you lay your head on that UPSTART crow's second-best bed. With a START you'll discover it's occupied! (Anne and Will were mismatched ere the knot was tied.)"
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:22 pm
I guess I am missing the significance of this.

Shrug.

QUESTION:

Had Joseph Smith been informed by the editors of the Grandin Press that the word START is improper terminology, not used in ancient Israel, and that it isn't in the English Holy Bible, do you think Smith would have edited his 5 goofs?

consiglieri wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:32 am

What about you, Consig, do you think Smith would have still dealt those five cards by having them printed?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Shulem wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:18 pm
Had Joseph Smith been informed by the editors of the Grandin Press that the word START is improper terminology, not used in ancient Israel, and that it isn't in the English Holy Bible, do you think Smith would have edited his 5 goofs?
Contrafactual history can be fun. Of course, if the editors at Grandin had any experience translating anything, they probably wouldn’t have viewed this as a mistake and would thus have not known to say anything to Smith about it. It is only if one assumes that everyone involved shared your assumptions about the aims of Joseph Smith’s project that we get bogged down with these kinds of questions.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:29 pm
Shulem wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:18 pm
Contrafactual history can be fun. Of course, if the editors at Grandin had any experience translating anything, they probably wouldn’t have viewed this as a mistake and would thus have not known to say anything to Smith about it. It is only if one assumes that everyone involved shared your assumptions about the aims of Joseph Smith’s project that we get bogged down with these kinds of questions.

You didn't even answer the question. All it took was a yes or a no. You didn't have to send your stupid insult my way.

:evil:
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:47 am
You didn't even answer the question. All it took was a yes or a no. You didn't have to send your stupid insult my way.

Insult? What insult? In my opinion, you and many other people bring a set of assumptions to Joseph’s intentions that may not be accurate. In this case, that he had any idea about the necessity of linguistic precision in copying certain old texts. It is important to you, but why is it important? Would he have thought it was important? Do his purposes and methods line up with your expectations and standards?

Obviously they don’t. But the better question is: could or should they have done so in the first place?
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:15 am
Shulem wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:47 am

Insult? What insult? In my opinion, you and many other people bring a set of assumptions to Joseph’s intentions that may not be accurate. In this case, that he had any idea about the necessity of linguistic precision in copying certain old texts. It is important to you, but why is it important? Would he have thought it was important? Do his purposes and methods line up with your expectations and standards?

Obviously they don’t. But the better question is: could or should they have done so in the first place?

Okay, you still can't answer the question because you're stubborn. (Have you ever been told you're stubborn?) Look, pal, it's simply a matter of yes or no based on what you think.

I posit to say that had Joseph Smith learned that the word START was not a word used in the English Bible he would have scrubbed it and replaced it with began.

So my answer is definitely, YES.

Do you have an answer or do you want to continue to be stubborn?