The Jesus Myth: An unrelenting case for history

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: The Jesus Myth: An unrelenting case for history

Post by huckelberry »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:21 pm
Stem, how do the parallels you cite support the conclusion that the mythical divine Christ wholly invented as opposed to being a mythologized real person? Why do you expect that there would not be parallels to other mythical figures if the myth of the divine Christ were based on a real guy named Jesus?
Res Ipsa, just adding to your question,

It could be that story telling devices from Hellenistic tradition, imitation, shaped how the gospels narrative were shaped and put together but I do not see how that clarifies how real or imaginary the Jesus story is. A collection of sober facts could be shaped into the style in question. Most of the Jesus story has little to do with myths and a lot to do with Jewish beliefs hopes and politics of the time period. It could be realistic. You can find mythical style imagery in the birth narratives, perhaps a couple of other episodes.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I'm curious how this theory addresses the appearance of the Gentile controversy between Paul and the Jerusalem Christians?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:32 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Stem, how do the parallels you cite support the conclusion that the mythical divine Christ wholly invented as opposed to being a mythologized real person? Why do you expect that there would not be parallels to other mythical figures if the myth of the divine Christ were based on a real guy named Jesus?

It could be that story telling devices from Hellenistic tradition, imitation, shaped how the gospels narrative were shaped and put together but I do not see how that clarifies how real or imaginary the Jesus story is. A collection of sober facts could be shaped into the style in question. Most of the Jesus story has little to do with myths and a lot to do with Jewish beliefs hopes and politics of the time period. It could be realistic. You can find mythical style imagery in the birth narratives, perhaps a couple of other episodes.
Exactly. This is what we find in the different gospels. Jesus’ character is morphed differently in each according to the needs of the audience the writer is writing for.

Also, the idea of objective history itself is a relatively modern invention. There are plenty of people we are fairly sure existed back then with about as much documentation as Christ.

Then you have the wealth of surviving manuscripts. Historians say there is nothing like that much evidence for anything else of that time period. The gospels were incredibly important, and became so incredibly quickly.

That’s why I think the burden of proof is on the mythesist position.
Manetho
Valiant B

Post by Manetho »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:58 pm
I agree stem, it would be helpful to know what the basic timeline of your hypothesis is. Who started it, who created what and why, ect.
This is the key thing. I can give you what I consider a probable reconstruction of how Christianity emerged, including a (very rough) timeline for the process and, especially, the motivations of the people who formed it. (I'm not writing it out now, though I can if people are interested.) Although I'm not steeped in studies of the historical Jesus, I think my outline generally fits with what a lot of those scholars think. Your hypothesis, Stem, looks pretty vague — similarities are one thing, but you don't say much about who created the myth, why they did so, or when.

My other objection is that comparisons to polytheistic beliefs are actually viable — as you say, Judaism was far from free of Hellenistic influence — but the similarities don't necessarily indicate that Jesus was purely mythical. There are certainly myths about non-historical deities and culture heroes with elements similar to the Christian traditions about Jesus: Osiris, Heracles, Romulus, and so on. But those deities and culture heroes were figures who were thought to have existed in the prehistoric or protohistoric past, and the myths about them emerged long before the Hellenistic Period, let alone that of the Roman Empire. But during Hellenistic and Roman times, those same myth-like tropes were applied to historical people. Plato, Alexander, Augustus, and Apollonius of Tyana were all said to have been fathered by gods. Julius Caesar, Augustus, and Apollonius were said to have become divine or risen to heaven upon death. The age-old mythic tropes were applied to real, historical people to demonstrate that these people were divine.
Last edited by Manetho on Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

honorentheos wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:02 pm

Eisenman, in James, the Brother of Jesus, laid out evidence that the ultimately dominant branch of Christianity worked to eradicate evidence of Jesus having a family. If Mary was not only a virgin when Jesus was born, but also remained one to rise to divine status herself, evidence of her having a family was a problem. They were largely but not entirely successful in doing so.

That process, that evidence would make little sense if Mary and Joseph were inventions themselves.
I'd be curious to see or understand the evidence that was laid out that demonstrated evidence of Jesus' family. As far as I'm aware there is no such evidence and that'd be a big game changer in terms of data used to understand the history.
If Mary was not only a virgin when Jesus was born, but also remained one to rise to divine status herself, evidence of her having a family was a problem.
yes. If there is evidence Mary was a person and had a family, that'd be something. What does Eisenman suggest? I skimmed his book preivously and missed this stuff. Interesting sounding.

But, if there were early Christians who argued there was no Mary, Jesus and family in human history, that'd fit nicely with the theories being discussed. I don't think either scenario is the case, I would be interested in what some people call evidence for these people and who is arguing against the notion that Jesus had a family--which if successful would render him not found in history.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:53 pm
Stem, chapter 21 is an opening of an extended discussion through the next several chapters .I sampled these. At least to my reading they proceed on quite a different view than the view you extract from one line in chapter 21

I remember once I read all the way through Justin's apology. It is dull reading , I fell asleep several time in the process. Justin meanders and is slow to the point.
I'm confused still. Are you saying Justin didn't say the quotation I offered including all of it's surrounding context that I linked to? Meaning Justin didn't say "And when we say also that the Word, who is the first-birth of God, was produced without sexual union, and that He, Jesus Christ, our Teacher, was crucified and died, and rose again, and ascended into heaven, we propound nothing different from what you believe regarding those whom you esteem sons of Jupiter."? Or are you saying this is not a big deal because you can quote other things from Justin? You know, as do I, that Justin goes on to list a number of roman and greek heros and gods to confirm his argument. So I'm not sure what you're driving at.

I quoted Justin. I linked to more of his words describing what I detailed, and you quoted another portion from Justin and said "These are as close to what the opening post claims about Justin as I think can be found". Well, no. You realize Justin did claim that the myths of Jesus are also in previous myths found amongst the people. Christians, according to Justin says they "propound nothing different from what you (Roman citizens heavily influenced by Greek thought) believe regarding those whom you esteem sons of Jupiter".
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:59 pm
If so then perhaps there is no real difference in saying some guy who lived but was not the character written about and was at some previous time walking around Jerusalem and it’s environment was the subject who began the myth and the myth was first written down without any real person in mind.
Is the character at the stage of "without any real person in mind" called "Jesus"? Was Jesus the first name given to the character?
Sure...as far as I know. Paul first mentions him, in the historic record and calls him Jesus, Christ, Son of Man, Son of God and the like.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Stem, how do the parallels you cite support the conclusion that the mythical divine Christ wholly invented as opposed to being a mythologized real person?
It's a good question but I find it a little bit odd considering all that we have. In this thread I've limited Jesus' history stories to Paul and Mark (those that come after Mrak are quite positively dependent sources). So we have a Jesus in Paul wherein Paul only very rarely and ambiguously gives hints that maybe Jesus lived before him. But I'd question each of those rare mentions, wondering if any of them are explicit enough to overcome the mythicist hypothesis, or to really support the notion of historicity. But Mark's story clearly and without equivocation claims Jesus lived. That's where we read of the claim. If we read with some degree of skepticism as we should, as I see it, then how do we support Mark's claim? If Mark's own claim pretends to render many themes and stories from all previous myths well known amongst his Roman/Greek upbringing, then how do we even take seriously that his story is history? Or that his characters were real people? Did he mean it as such? Interestingly there is a mystery element added to Mark. he mentions a couple of times that the story he's writing, and the gospel he's pushing was not supposed to be told to anyone (Mark 9:9, Mark 7:36, Mark 1:44-45 5:42-43, Mark 16:8). Surely the mystery element all by itself doesn't do justice to the claim that there was no Jesus, but its not like it's against such a notion. Additionally, it's apparent to some, and I find the arguments pretty persuasive that Mark had reliance on at least some portion of Paul's letters. Additionally as previous threads and discussions have demonstrated, it is quite likely that the anonymous author of Mark had a community among other greek literal elites and was writing creatively to impress his community. That'd be how he would have been able to get his writings circulated to any extent. He'd have to impress his immediate audience--his community. There's little reason to think he wrote his account on the back of oral stories passed around to his ears. That's guesswork. It could have happened. It just seems less likely given things like Mark's stories all have familiarity in content and wording as many greek and Roman myths that were commonly held. The stories continue to be reminiscent of previous stories (MacDonald has, of course, far more in his works then the few I mentioned here), and there's nothing to suggest the stories found in Mark are history.

On the whole the idea that Mark rendered previous hero and god myths in order to bolster his own character, doesn't necessarily suggest Jesus never lived. It simply becomes more likely considering all the other elements that we ought to consider.
Why do you expect that there would not be parallels to other mythical figures if the myth of the divine Christ were based on a real guy named Jesus?
It may or may not be expected. Alexander was mythologized, and given divine status in such mythologies. There are similiarities, i know. But there is also one ton of evidence demonstrating Alexander actually lived, which is clearly not the case for Jesus. On Jesus' case it seems more reasonable to give an "I don't know" and leaving at some level of probability then to say "he must have lived".

Let us consider this scenario. In 2,000 years there happens to be, we'll say, a Spiderman religion dominant among many in the world. All of the comics and stories we have are erased. But in history, all we have from the year 2012 is a writing, we'll say, from a man in China (Named Nthan) who wrote letters in Chinese to some unknown others in various places around the world--a letter to Zimbabwean believers, some in Kazakhstan, Australia etc. Nathan's letters do not explicitly say Spiderman, who is Peter Parker, lived. They give ambiguous hints he may have. But another, some decades after Nathan, wrote what many consider a history of Peter Parker who is the Spiderman. Peter had parents, and an aunt (?) who raised him. He lived in NYC and saved people from enemies. He magically did many things. And we'll say in some measure of analogy, the story included many elements that were comparable to, derived from, other Chinese myths. Same language was used to detail stories of his life that would be considered popular among Chinese people today. I won't pretend to get too detailed there to drive the point home, because I'm sure we all get the picture. But in this scenario it may be likely most believers over the next 2,000 years think there really was, at bottom, a Peter Parker who started the religion.

Are we saying now that it would be reasonable for believers in spiderman to think Peter Parker was a real living person in 2,000 years from now? I would say, no. They'd need something way better than what they have. Sure, Peter Parker could have been someone. The name is quite common--the last and the first. No doubt many people who have lived in NYC had the name, over, say, the past 100 years. The story could be based on any one of the Peter Parkers. But sadly, those 2,000 years from now have nothing to detail any particular Peter Parker who may have started the religion.

This seems basically parallel to what we have for Jesus. If Jesus was some run-of-mill apocalyptic preacher who no one noticed because there were others, but somehow managed to start a religion, make enough noise to get himself killed by authorities...so be it. But we have no evidence for any of that. Just as Spiderman believers 2,000 years from now have no evidence for a real Peter Parker who started the religion they presumably would hold so dear.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:32 pm

So, the question is not can we prove there was no Jesus at all...though. We're talking history. Which leaves us in the realm of measuring probabilities. If Mark's gospel is creative writing, utilizing ideas and themes taken from the well known mythic culture, then it could be Jesus lived or not lived...Sure. But, if there is non other material from Mark's day supporting the claim, then we have the question we can't quite settle. It could be Jesus lived, or it could be Jesus never was, since the stories are simply mythology and we have no other data confirming the claim. The practice has been, due to the predominant religion of our day, to just say, "of course Jesus lived". But it's always interesting, as I see it, and useful to push against dogma like this. I'd say there are tons of reasons to question the assumption of Jesus' historicity.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

honorentheos wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:06 pm
I'm curious how this theory addresses the appearance of the Gentile controversy between Paul and the Jerusalem Christians?
We can probably flesh that out some, but am not sure there's a point here. Paul claims in his letters that his meeting with Peter and James, apparently 2 leaders among Christians in Jerusalem, ended, basically, with Paul disagreeing. Who knows what Peter and James thought? It is assumed Peter and James were illiterate. But Paul was obviously quite literate. His letters seem to acknowledge them for the sake of perhaps other believers but also suggest he doesn't really see them adding to his work and perhaps hindering it if he allowed it. He has power, it seems, to over-run them. Paul is making a move to spread the belief to different areas amongst various types of people--his working to mke the religion cosmopolitan. Paul seems to suggest Peter wishes to move the religion slowly amongst Jews. But Paul has the upperhand. he has the skill of writing, which perhaps Peter didn't realize would be so important going forward, and he has connections amongst other believers, through writing, that Peter apparently does not have.

What any of that does to ideas about whether Jesus existed or not is beyond me.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos