"Six Days in August" Will Face Tough Competition in the Mormon Cinema Market

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rivendale
God

Re: "Six Days in August" Will Face Tough Competition in the Mormon Cinema Market

Post by Rivendale »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:07 am
I shall allow no man to belittle my soul by making me hate him. -- Booker T. Washington
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. -- Mark Twain
I think you would be hard-pressed to find anyone who holds more grudges or bottles up more anger than Afore. Who can forget Afore's post about seeing comedian Bill Maher and almost throwing hot soup at his face. Or, his hatred for Angela Lansbury, John Dehlin, Blair Hodges, Gerald Bradford, Rodney Meldrum, Jonathan Neville and many others.

I hope someday Afore can finally let go of all of his hate, rage, grudges and anger. I'm rooting for you little buddy!

ETA It does seem fitting that the film Heretic which stars 2 ex-Mormons will be competing with Afore's film. But let's face it, even if Police Academy 7: Mission to Moscow was playing at the same time, Afore's film wouldn't stand a chance. Afore's film looks absolutely horrible.
I thought you were being hyperbolic. Nope.
Several years ago, seated at an open air café in Vienna, I found myself only a few feet away from Bill Maher. I’m not, to put it mildly, a fan of his. I don’t even think he’s particularly funny, just mildly clever and strikingly shallow And he’s been quite vicious in his mockery of my religious beliefs. But, even though I had a plate of Hungarian goulash in front of me that would obviously have looked very nice dripping from his head and even though the thought did admittedly cross my mind, I found it easy to resist the temptation, and I didn’t even say anything to him.)
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: "Six Days in August" Will Face Tough Competition in the Mormon Cinema Market

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 1:48 pm
Total rubbish. I've never seen a movie filled with more gratuitous...
Did he see Hugh Grant in Sirens? Should have watched it with his bro.
Great point, Dean. DCP and the Midge should watch Sirens over and over, and take extensive notes. If I correctly remember the film (it has been years), Sirens portrayed several intelligent, powerful and creative women. In stark contrast, the film Witnesses is Exhibit A for the deep-seated misogyny in Mopology. You can't watch Witnesses without seeing the utter disdain DCP has for women.

There are no positive female characters in the film, at all. Every single woman in Witnesses was either portrayed as scared, helpless, evil, conniving, silly or brainless. From David Whitmer's wife helplessly cowering in fear, to portraying Lucy Harris as an evil mastermind and portraying all of Lucy's friends as gossipy, shrill and silly, DCP's film drips with misogyny. I can't think of even one woman in the entire film with any redeeming qualities. Even Emma Smith is portrayed as a one-dimensional character whose existence is only to serve Joseph's needs as a prop and occasionally stroke his arm in admiration.

I hope that Six Days doesn't continue reflecting DCP's misogyny. I truly hope DCP doesn't try to portray Emma as a one-dimensional villain who tries to wrest control of the Church from Brigham Young, but I'm not holding my breath. Six Days will probably also be filled with misogyny.

Misogyny usually has a strong psychological component, often reflecting one's extreme insecurities, contempt and anger. You can do better DCP. You can be better. It's not too late.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Peterson could boost his LDS viewer numbers by making his next two films Sharknado Witnesses
and Big Sharknado Love.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2024 4:03 am
Dr. Peterson could boost his LDS viewer numbers by making his next two films Sharknado Witnesses
and Big Sharknado Love.
I've also heard that the Interpreter Foundation is working on a faith promoting/horror movie that will be released on Halloween. This is one of the promotional posters for the film:
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
I Have Questions
Stake President

Post by I Have Questions »

Six Days In August will run for five days in October.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I Have Questions wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:57 am
Six Days In August will run for five days in October.
They usually bring back Oscar award winning films again in January. I think we can count Six Days as a shoe-in!