Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

Post by drumdude »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:47 pm
drumdude wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:23 pm
Was he speaking as a prophet or as a man? The answer depends on that.

My financial advisor told me to go all in on NFTs.

6 months later when I lost everything and confronted him he informed me he was just speaking as a man, not a financial advisor.
Using one’s common sense always helps. Too many people would rather lay the blame on someone else.
It’s certainly a great way for leaders to blame their followers when they screw up.

“You trusted your 8 year old boy with your priest. Why didn’t you use some common sense? Stop blaming it on someone else instead of yourself.”…
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:27 pm
It’s certainly a great way for leaders to blame their followers when they screw up.

“You trusted your 8 year old boy with your priest. Why didn’t you use some common sense? Stop blaming it on someone else instead of yourself.”…
The opposite is a great way to blame every failure and stupid decision on someone else, instead of taking responsibility for one's self like an adult.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:32 pm
drumdude wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:27 pm

The opposite is a great way to blame every failure and stupid decision on someone else, instead of taking responsibility for one's self like an adult.
How do you expect someone to take responsibility, much less make the correct decision, unless they have the relevant information?

I believe that was the point of the photo posted, to offer some relevant information.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:38 pm
How do you expect someone to take responsibility, much less make the correct decision, unless they have the relevant information?

I believe that was the point of the photo posted, to offer some relevant information.
If they don't have relevant information, perhaps they should not make a commitment based on insufficient/irrelevant information.

It was their choice.

A con man stops me at the gas station and offers me the opportunity to purchase 24 karat gold necklaces. I have no way of knowing whether they are real. I buy them anyway, and discover that they are fake and I paid way too much for them.

I can blame the con artist, but, hey, it was also really stupid of me to buy those necklaces when I had no way of knowing their actual value.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:44 pm
drumdude wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:38 pm

If they don't have relevant information, perhaps they should not make a commitment based on insufficient/irrelevant information.

It was their choice.

A con man stops me at the gas station and offers me the opportunity to purchase 24 karat gold necklaces. I have no way of knowing whether they are real. I buy them anyway, and discover that they are fake and I paid way too much for them.

I can blame the con artist, but, hey, it was also really stupid of me to buy those necklaces when I had no way of knowing their actual value.
This is why I think indoctrinating children into religion is objectively wrong. Before a certain age, children are incapable of distinguishing between religious facts/truths and non-religious facts/truths. And then obtaining the ability to distinguish them later is difficult.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Chap wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:02 am
They didn't say that stuff just to be difficult, but because they wanted to warn people against being too ready to think that things are simple when in fact they can be very complicated.
As a general rule, it's wise to take everything we think we know with a grain of salt, but I can't believe that God would put us in a universe so complex that we can't know anything about anything, and in particular one where we can't know anything for sure about God.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:49 pm
I thought Chaps statement was a relatively well put together bit of fundamental awareness about life. It is a bit startling to see it pushed aside.
Huckelberry, you think the idea that God would put some things that we could clearly understand, is startling?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:12 am
KevinSim wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:39 am
Fence Sitter, I said "making sure some good things are preserved forever." Why do I need to explain it? Isn't its meaning self-evident?
No, its meaning is not self-evident at all, and we have been down this rabbit hole before.
Fence Sitter, we wouldn't even be having this conversation if we didn't both believe that open, honest discussion was a good thing. We're not all trolls here. The fact that people disagree over what is good and bad regarding a huge number of issues does not mean that nobody knows what good actually is. Everybody knows what good means, and with time we'll make progress in hammering down what it involves in more and more particulars. The fact that physicians in the Dark Ages didn't have a clue what they were doing didn't mean that the idea of disease was meaningless. I see no reason to believe we won't in the future make as much progress establishing what is good as modern physicians have made establishing what is medically advantageous.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:10 am
And I’m telling you, as another mind, that I haven’t had the same experience as you.

What you label God, is welcome to come give me the experience you have had anytime it wants to. I’m here waiting.
Great! That you try to stay that receptive to God, is all I ask.
drumdude wrote:And if you tell me that I missed the experience, I can easily retort that you missed the experience of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Drumdude, I would never tell you that you missed the experience.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

(Deleted duplicate.)
Last edited by KevinSim on Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.