Benson blows Monson's Arthur Patton tale out of the water

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Shiloh

Re: Benson blows Monson's Arthur Patton tale out of the wate

Post by _Shiloh »

Steve Benson wrote:I have had a person assisting me since 2011 who is not a a Mormon or an ex-Mormon and who does not post or participate on the discussion boards mentioned but who, nonetheless, has provided me access tp all kinds of information, documentation and original sources through their own personal interest in genealogical research and well-honed ability to get to original source material in various locales and through various means. This person has told me that they do not wish to be named or otherwise identified in detail, so I have respected that request. I find it interesting that some here are trying to claim credit as my sources. I will quote people (and do) if they have something unique and contributive to say but documents that are not their own production are available through a range of avenues. That said, if you want to be quoted, let me know why and I'll see what I can do for you.

For a man who has won a Pulitzer, you have a, ehem..., interesting view on proper source citation.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Steve Benson wrote:That said, if you want to be quoted, let me know why and I'll see what I can do for you.

What humility!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Shiloh wrote:For a man who has won a Pulitzer, you have a, ehem..., interesting view on proper source citation.

There's not a lot of citing of sources in the funny papers.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Steve Benson wrote:So, how is, i.e., by what means is Arthur Patton's military service record available? Inquiring minds want to know.

Really? You're the guy who's been been sleuthing above and below the water line and you never thought to google "military service records" or something? C'mon man, you're killing me.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Steve Benson
_Emeritus

Post by _Steve Benson »

Shiloh wrote:
Steve Benson wrote:I have had a person assisting me since 2011 who is not a a Mormon or an ex-Mormon and who does not post or participate on the discussion boards mentioned but who, nonetheless, has provided me access tp all kinds of information, documentation and original sources through their own personal interest in genealogical research and well-honed ability to get to original source material in various locales and through various means. This person has told me that they do not wish to be named or otherwise identified in detail, so I have respected that request. I find it interesting that some here are trying to claim credit as my sources. I will quote people (and do) if they have something unique and contributive to say but documents that are not their own production are available through a range of avenues. That said, if you want to be quoted, let me know why and I'll see what I can do for you.

For a man who has won a Pulitzer, you have a, ehem..., interesting view on proper source citation.

Provide the source. If the source is relevant and valuable, I will cite the source. Simple as that. IF you say something that is particular to you and I wish to use your words, I will quote your words and cite you as the person who said them.
_Steve Benson
_Emeritus

Post by _Steve Benson »

Kishkumen wrote:
Steve Benson wrote:That said, if you want to be quoted, let me know why and I'll see what I can do for you.

What humility!

If you want credit for what you say, then I can quote you, especially if I wish to to quote what you have to say. No prob. Not humility, just fact.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Nevo wrote:
Brad Hudson wrote:. . . I have to conclude on this information that Steve Benson did not appropriate anyone else's research.

He appropriated mine, actually.

Do you really think so? The timelines look so tight to me that I really can't draw that conclusion. Am I missing something in the timelines I sketched out? Is it really that unlikely that Steve's SO and you found the same key fact by looking at the crew manifests or whatever?
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Steve Benson
_Emeritus

Post by _Steve Benson »

Kishkumen wrote:
Shiloh wrote:For a man who has won a Pulitzer, you have a, ehem..., interesting view on proper source citation.

There's not a lot of citing of sources in the funny papers.

I not cite from the funny papers since I don't draw comic strips.
_Shiloh

Post by _Shiloh »

Steve Benson wrote:Provide the source. If the source is relevant and valuable, I will cite the source. Simple as that. IF you say something that is particular to you and I wish to use your words, I will quote your words and cite you as the person who said them.

Don't you have it backwards there, sparky?

As a grad student had I taken the attitude that I would only cite a source if pressed or asked to do so, I likely would have been expelled for plagiarism.
_Steve Benson
_Emeritus

Post by _Steve Benson »

Brad Hudson"][quote="Nevo"][quote="Brad Hudson"]
". . . I have to conclude on this information that Steve Benson did not appropriate anyone else's research. He appropriated mine, actually."

"Do you really think so? The timelines look so tight to me that I really can't draw that conclusion. Am I missing something in the timelines I sketched out? Is it really that unlikely that Steve's SO and you found the same key fact by looking at the crew manifests or whatever?"
_____

A very competent researcher friend of mine has been able to fact-check/cross-check claims for me by locating actual documents and their sources. Again, if you deservedly wish be quoted as saying something important and insightful about such docs, then that's good. My approach is to quote in those situations, since it is not appropriate to invoke the actual words of another without giving credit. If I am wishing to quote from posts of others, I quote from them, and provide acknowledgment.

Keep in mind, however, that RfM does not allow direct referencing to MD and blocks certain key words that would appear in links to the sites it blocks reference to. Offer quotes and I will quote them if they are important to the effort at hand, as is my practice. But RfM's banning policy does not allow me to I link directly to this site as a place of posting. I don't make the rules in that regard and it can be frustrating