Benson blows Monson's Arthur Patton tale out of the water

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Uncle Ed
_Emeritus

Re: Benson blows Monson's Arthur Patton tale out of the wate

Post by _Uncle Ed »

Steve Benson wrote:...
Here's a good example of a wholesale word change: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50882 ... s.html.csp

And why did God leave so many of the other mistakes embedded in the Book of Mormon for so long before they were taken out? Let me guess. It took God a long time to find them. This LDS God could use a good editor to help him out--maybe the human beings who invented him in the first place could chip in.

So you are counting the added chapter headings as part of "your" 4K changes? And now changes to those changes are part of your 4K changes? That's ridiculous.

Obviously the answer to your objection is: "God" provides and man runs with it. Perfection was never part of the game. Noticing the flaws and imperfections was up front as a warning when the book first came out....
A man should never step a foot into the field,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need arms,
Or what menace meet on the road. - Hávamál 38

Man's joy is in Man. - Hávamál 47
_Nevo
_Emeritus

Post by _Nevo »

just me wrote:Well, friends, I will be sending in my order for Arthur Patton's service records today.

Good job. Maybe it will shed some light on Patton's untimely demise. Poor kid.

Who knew that Arthur Patton would have such an afterlife on the interwebz? "Arthur lives" indeed.
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

Nevo wrote:
just me wrote:Well, friends, I will be sending in my order for Arthur Patton's service records today.

Good job. Maybe it will shed some light on Patton's untimely demise. Poor kid.

Who knew that Arthur Patton would have such an afterlife on the interwebz? "Arthur lives" indeed.

Yeah. War sucks and it really does make me sad that he never came home to his family. Lots of the details of this story make me sad.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Steve Benson wrote:I graduated cum laude.

:rolleyes:
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Uncle Ed
_Emeritus

Post by _Uncle Ed »

Steve Benson wrote:
I gather that such changes are not inspired when supposed word-for-word translations of words provided by God end up being changed out later for preferred words edited in by God's servants as replacement verbiage for God's originally-provided translated words. Or something like that.

You have the original "translation". You have the printer's copy. You have the 1830 edition. None of them, where possible to compare, match up 100%. Then you have Joseph Smith, the "author", making changes for the 1837 and 1840 editions, or at least not catching the changes that others involved made on their own. Then you have added chapters and verses. Much later you have added chapter headings and dates, etc. and etc. Meanwhile, the actual words are hardly changed at all. There are very few actual word changes. You are making much ado about practically nothing.

So ANY changes whatsoever are proof that there is no god involved? What about Steve Benson's editing of Steve Benson? I am sure there are a multitude of gaffs and oversights that Steve does not catch. And because god does not intervene that is proof that there is no god or God or "God"....

_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Perhaps this would be a good time to reflect on the title of this thread, given that it is about the manner of Arthur Patton's death while serving in the U.S. Navy.

Meanwhile, I join the rest of you in nervously awaiting Arthur Patton's service record, as this will prove once and for all whether the LDS Church is true.

In any event, props to Steve Benson for pointing out that anyone who is skeptical of his ideas is part of the conspiracy. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, eh?
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Darth J wrote:In any event, props to Steve Benson for pointing out that anyone who is skeptical of his ideas is part of the conspiracy. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, eh?

Sadly, I was thinking the same thing. I wish I were not.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Uncle Ed
_Emeritus

Post by _Uncle Ed »

@Darthy:
Perhaps this would be a good time to reflect on the title of this thread, given that it is about the manner of Arthur Patton's death while serving in the U.S. Navy.

SB kept harping about the asserted "c. 4K important/crucial/telling/damning/etc." changes to the Book of Mormon in his own thread. I was just responding to SB's own derailment....

_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Uncle Ed wrote:@Darthy:

SB kept harping about the asserted "c. 4K importantcrucial/telling/damning/etc." changes to the Book of Mormon in his own thread. I was just responding to SB's own derailment....

I can't even guess how you decided that comment is responsive to what you quoted from me.
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

"Benson blows Monson's Arthur Patton story OUT OF THE WATER."

Arthur Patton apparently died at sea while serving on a Navy ship.

Is that too subtle for you, Uncle Ed? If the title had included "no pun intended," would you have been all, "WTF?"