Why LDS Mormons are not Christian.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton Plumber

Re: Why LDS Mormons are not Christian.

Post by _Gadianton Plumber »

beastie wrote:
Then, according to culturally accepted definition of Christian, Mormons are NOT Christian, as the vast majority of non-LDS reject their ridiculous claims. Right?

No, because the one claim that non-LDS do not reject is "Jesus Christ is my Savior". That is the basis of defining "Christian".

Now you are changing the term. Is Mormonism mainstream Christian according to consensus? Is retaining lip service to Jesus being a "savior" enough to make someone Christian? I know a Wicca chick who accepts that Jesus is one god among many and provides salvation. She also worships Thor. Is she Christian?
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

What about changing the characteristics and/or nature of the "being or beings" and method of salvation that are central to a particular religion?

Can it sill be the same religion or has it become something else?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Now you are changing the term. Is Mormonism mainstream Christian according to consensus? Is retaining lip service to Jesus being a "savior" enough to make someone Christian? I know a Wicca chick who accepts that Jesus is one god among many and provides salvation. She also worships Thor. Is she Christian?

I'm not changing the term. I have always stated that Mormonism is not mainstream Christianity - that does not mean it is not Christian.

If the Wicca chick accepts Jesus as her personal savior, then, yes, she is christian. She's obviously not part of mainstream Christianity, and neither is Mormonism - but they're Christian if they accept jesus as their savior.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Gadianton Plumber

Jersey Girl wrote:What about changing the characteristics and/or nature of the "being or beings" and method of salvation that are central to a particular religion?

A Christian is one who belongs to a religion that:
1. Believes that Jesus Christ is a personal savior. (Savior can mean anything)
2. The rest of the people around you agree.
_Gadianton Plumber

beastie wrote:

I'm not changing the term. I have always stated that Mormonism is not mainstream Christianity - that does not mean it is not Christian.

If the Wicca chick accepts Jesus as her personal savior, then, yes, she is christian. She's obviously not part of mainstream Christianity, and neither is Mormonism - but they're Christian if they accept jesus as their savior.

Well then, there you go. Anything that includes some shape of Jesus is Christian, including the Mr. Potato Head Christ. They just don't get to be called mainstream.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

What about changing the characteristics and/or nature of the "being or beings" and method of salvation that are central to a particular religion?

Once you get into the specifics of theology, you open the door to eliminating other mainstream Christian sects from the religion. That's why I don't think it's useful. Are only triniterians Christian, for example?
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

_Gadianton Plumber

beastie wrote:

Once you get into the specifics of theology, you open the door to eliminating other mainstream Christian sects from the religion. That's why I don't think it's useful. Are only triniterians Christian, for example?

Why can't mainstream Christians be discounted as Christian?
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Well then, there you go. Anything that includes some shape of Jesus is Christian, including the Mr. Potato Head Christ. They just don't get to be called mainstream.

Oh, come on. Our culture understands Jesus to be the figure from the Bible. Mr. Potato head Christ doesn't qualify. That is ignoring culturally accepted meanings of words (like my cat is God).

You seem to think that distinguishing between "mainstream" and non-mainstream is pointless. Why?

Penn & Teller

_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Why can't mainstream Christians be discounted as Christian?

Because you are then ignoring our culturally accepted meaning of the term, and are, instead, using an arbitrary definition of your own creation.

Penn & Teller

_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Gadianton Plumber wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:What about changing the characteristics and/or nature of the "being or beings" and method of salvation that are central to a particular religion?

A Christian is one who belongs to a religion that:
1. Believes that Jesus Christ is a personal savior. (Savior can mean anything)
2. The rest of the people around you agree.

Disagree.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb